News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Joe Biden Expressway in Scranton

Started by roadman65, September 29, 2021, 05:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Well the man is not even in Office a year and has a highway already named after him. Go figure.

Scranton has renamed a street after him
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

He was a senator for 36 years. That's enough to get something named after you even if he hadn't become president.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2021, 05:21:13 PM
He was a senator for 36 years. That's enough to get something named after you even if he hadn't become president.

That would make more sense if the highway was in the state where he was a senator.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Flint1979

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 29, 2021, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2021, 05:21:13 PM

That would make more sense if the highway was in the state where he was a senator.

Well, he was born in Scranton. That probably has something to do with it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jp the roadgeek

Aka "You know, the road thing".  Would've rather they named it after Dwight Schrute.  He's done more in 49 years.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 29, 2021, 05:38:56 PM
Here is a link about it. (https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/lackawanna-county/biden-expressway-sign-work-slows-i-81-traffic/523-3cf4f5b2-6a9b-477a-b7d1-9e8431cdc23e).

As soon as I saw the thread title I figured the CSE (CSX? :)  :rolleyes:) was the one getting the honor.*  The WNEP link confirms it.

*Is Rep. McDade's name still on the North Scranton Expy., or was his name removed?
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

hbelkins

Two comments before the inevitable lock:

1.) I've seen photos that show the greenout done in FHWA, leaving only the bottom line in Clearview. I'm shocked -- shocked -- that Pennsylvania has abandoned Clearview.

2.) Several have commented that regardless of the politician being feted -- meaning not specific to Biden -- they don't approve of things being named after people who are still alive. I disagree. I think it should be done while people are still around to appreciate the honor.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

machias

On the bright side it wasn't numbered I-999 or that's something.

SD Mapman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 29, 2021, 07:08:33 PM
2.) Several have commented that regardless of the politician being feted -- meaning not specific to Biden -- they don't approve of things being named after people who are still alive. I disagree. I think it should be done while people are still around to appreciate the honor.
As someone who is one of those people who doesn't approve of naming things after living people, my way of thinking is that it promotes a swelled head in the person in question, which isn't good. At least wait until they're retired and done with whatever they're doing, and then it can be an award to enjoy in old age.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

formulanone

And to think there's loads of us who wanted a number for the Central Scranton Expressway, but instead it got another name.

I didn't recall seeing any businesses along the route, unless it also includes some non-expressway portion.

My feelings are that renaming things for a politician should wait until after they're out of office, unless they built it on their own property.

US 89

Quote from: formulanone on September 29, 2021, 08:11:16 PM
My feelings are that renaming things for a politician should wait until after they're out of office, unless they built it on their own property.

I agree. Naming things after living people is probably okay in itself, especially if the person is from the area in question (Jimmy Carter Blvd near Atlanta, Pres George Bush Turnpike in Dallas come to mind as other examples) but for politicians who are still in office... what if Biden does something you don't like (or did in the past and it becomes public later)? Who knows what shocking scandals or whatever might show up in the next few years.

Honestly I wouldn't even mind if the new name was "Joe Biden Expressway". But by naming it "President Biden Expressway" you're emphasizing his current role... I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on September 29, 2021, 08:39:09 PM

I agree. Naming things after living people is probably okay in itself, especially if the person is from the area in question (Jimmy Carter Blvd near Atlanta, Pres George Bush Turnpike in Dallas come to mind as other examples) but for politicians who are still in office... what if Biden does something you don't like (or did in the past and it becomes public later)? Who knows what shocking scandals or whatever might show up in the next few years.

Honestly I wouldn't even mind if the new name was "Joe Biden Expressway". But by naming it "President Biden Expressway" you're emphasizing his current role... I don't know. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Well said. That's basically exactly what I was thinking as well. Why not at least wait until he's out of office? I don't see a sudden great need to go replacing the signs and everything while he's actively president. And then there's also the question of what happens when he isn't president anymore. Is it still the President Biden Expressway? That would be kind of like having the President Eisenhower Interstate System. It just seems really weird.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2021, 08:54:43 PMAnd then there's also the question of what happens when he isn't president anymore. Is it still the President Biden Expressway? That would be kind of like having the President Eisenhower Interstate System. It just seems really weird.

There's already a President George Bush Turnpike.

ozarkman417

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2021, 08:56:08 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2021, 08:54:43 PMAnd then there's also the question of what happens when he isn't president anymore. Is it still the President Biden Expressway? That would be kind of like having the President Eisenhower Interstate System. It just seems really weird.

In addition to that, there is an Oklahoma Senate Bill (624) that passed in May that gives names to several highways in the state, effective in about a month. In the bill, State Highway 287 in the panhandle between Boise City and Texas will be named President Donald J. Trump Highway.

hotdogPi

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 29, 2021, 09:19:57 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2021, 08:56:08 PM

In addition to that, there is an Oklahoma Senate Bill (624) that passed in May that gives names to several highways in the state, effective in about a month. In the bill, State Highway 287 in the panhandle between Boise City and Texas will be named President Donald J. Trump Highway.
Trump has no ties to Oklahoma...

formulanone

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 29, 2021, 09:19:57 PM...State Highway 287 in the panhandle between Boise City and Texas...

State Highway 287? Is this a simple legislative error, or is that how the State of Oklahoma refers to US Routes?

Besides, some of the other names and routes to be dedicated are referred to as "U.S. Route ##" in the Bill.

Roadgeekteen

Regardless of your political beliefs, he was a longtime senator, VP, and the President who is the most famous person from Scranton. I'm no fan of Bush but I think it's appropriate to have roads named after him (them) in Texas.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Quote from: formulanone on September 29, 2021, 09:30:44 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 29, 2021, 09:19:57 PM...State Highway 287 in the panhandle between Boise City and Texas...

State Highway 287? Is this a simple legislative error, or is that how the State of Oklahoma refers to US Routes?
That is the name of the highway as printed in the bill. It must be a legislative error, because they correctly refer to US Routes 64 & 77 as a US Highways in the same bill.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2021-22%20ENR/SB/SB624%20ENR.PDF

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 29, 2021, 09:35:05 PM
Regardless of your political beliefs, he was a longtime senator, VP, and the President who is the most famous person from Scranton. I'm no fan of Bush but I think it's appropriate to have roads named after him (them) in Texas.

Then name it after himself. Don't put the title yet until he established himself in that role. Call it Joseph Biden Expressway in the meantime to tribute his accomplishments.

Like someone already said what happens when scandal breaks out later as he is in his first year still. The shit usually hits the fan later in office
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2021, 08:54:43 PM

Well said. That's basically exactly what I was thinking as well. Why not at least wait until he's out of office? I don't see a sudden great need to go replacing the signs and everything while he's actively president. And then there's also the question of what happens when he isn't president anymore. Is it still the President Biden Expressway? That would be kind of like having the President Eisenhower Interstate System. It just seems really weird.

I agree with you all too.  Anything that takes any form of public money (roads/bridges/buildings/schools/parks/ect) shouldn't be named/renamed after anybody in politics until they've retired from office unless it's on private property (and takes no public money).  Don't care what side of the aisle you're on.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on September 29, 2021, 07:08:33 PM
Two comments before the inevitable lock:

As long as it remains civil in here and doesn't devolve into personal attacks, I personally will not lock it (but that doesn't mean other Mods/Admins still might do it).

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 29, 2021, 09:35:05 PM
The Bushes were from Connecticut.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I agree.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.