News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Will anyone ever eclipse Michael Jackson?

Started by thspfc, November 18, 2021, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

hotdogPi

Quote from: dlsterner on November 19, 2021, 09:05:44 PM
What's a "Drake"?

As I said before, it's a duck, a male duck in particular. In addition, some works of fiction use the term for a small dragon-like creature.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2021, 07:31:43 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 19, 2021, 07:09:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2021, 05:46:32 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2021, 09:55:35 AM
The only reason I know who Drake is is because of his friendship with John Calipari.

I was coached by John Calipari.
Where?

UMass.

Summer basketball camp. :D
Hey, that's still pretty cool.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on November 19, 2021, 09:08:27 PM
What's a "Drake"?

As I said before, it's a duck, a male duck in particular. In addition, some works of fiction use the term for a small dragon-like creature.

"Drake" can be used to describe any dragon, regardless of size, descending from the Latin draco via Middle English. As with ducks, I think it tends to imply a male dragon, while a female dragon is a dragoness. You know, should you need to specify the gender of the thing that's currently torching you and your belongings.

Dragon nomenclature usually depends on body plan, especially number of limbs (a true dragon has six limbs, while a wyvern has four, two legs and two wings). D&D has the psuedodragon (MM 254, CR ¼) and faerie dragon (MM 133, CR 1) which despite being in the Tiny size class nevertheless carry the full Dragon creature type, and all the implications that carries; e.g. they cannot be impersonated by a druid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jp the roadgeek

What's a "Drake"?

Also the makers of Devil Dogs and Funny Bones
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Road Hog

Music (and music radio) are so fragmented these days that there may never be another artist that crosses over as big as Elvis, the Beatles, MJ or even Drake. It's more likely it'll be a female artist along the lines of Taylor Swift who is very popular among males.

1995hoo

A Drake is a descendant of a British circumnavigator.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

renegade

I liked Drake when he was part of the Degrassi universe.  Don't know much about him after that.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

GaryV

US71

Someday, someone may eclipse Michael Jackson, but likely no time soon.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Drake, a duck, a male duck.
Ray, a drop of golden sun...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Avalanchez71

Drake in no way comes anywhere close to MJ.

kkt

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 19, 2021, 09:47:43 PM
What's a "Drake"?

"Drake" can be used to describe any dragon, regardless of size, descending from the Latin draco via Middle English. As with ducks, I think it tends to imply a male dragon, while a female dragon is a dragoness. You know, should you need to specify the gender of the thing that's currently torching you and your belongings.

Dragon nomenclature usually depends on body plan, especially number of limbs (a true dragon has six limbs, while a wyvern has four, two legs and two wings). D&D has the psuedodragon (MM 254, CR ¼) and faerie dragon (MM 133, CR 1) which despite being in the Tiny size class nevertheless carry the full Dragon creature type, and all the implications that carries; e.g. they cannot be impersonated by a druid.
In Ultima games (or at least UO), drakes are simply young dragons. They breathe fire like their larger counterparts, but don't use magic, and use a smaller version of the same sprite.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Drake isn't gonna surpass Michael Jackson, he's way too famous and had more of a cultural impact, but all of the boomers in here pretending that Drake isn't internationally known and very successful is kind of crazy. Most of the obscure 1960s and 1970s bands you talk about in other music threads are completely irrelevant now, only the most successful ones of that era survive.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 27, 2021, 04:55:10 AM
Drake isn't gonna surpass Michael Jackson, he's way too famous and had more of a cultural impact, but all of the boomers in here pretending that Drake isn't internationally known and very successful is kind of crazy. Most of the obscure 1960s and 1970s bands you talk about in other music threads are completely irrelevant now, only the most successful ones of that era survive.

I'm a generation ahead of Boomer and I didn't even know who the guy was.  I thought that was just another "Max being Max"  thing, but it appears I'm not the only who wasn't familiar. 

JayhawkCO

With all due respect, you weren't alive when MJ was at his peak.  I listen to plenty of rap/hip-hop (although less of the poppy stuff that's on the radio admittedly). Drake's popularity here and abroad is NOTHING like Michael Jackson's was.  Hence the boomers (and this late millennial) think the comparison is kind of laughable. I know Drake is famous.  But he's maybe 1/10th as famous as MJ during his apex.

thspfc

I agree with everyone - Jackson is far more famous than Drake. But, do remember that this forum skews older compared to the general population. You and your friends not knowing who Drake is doesn't mean that he's not a hugely popular artist, albeit not on Jackson's level.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 27, 2021, 09:25:46 AM

With all due respect, you weren't alive when MJ was at his peak.  I listen to plenty of rap/hip-hop (although less of the poppy stuff that's on the radio admittedly). Drake's popularity here and abroad is NOTHING like Michael Jackson's was.  Hence the boomers (and this late millennial) think the comparison is kind of laughable. I know Drake is famous.  But he's maybe 1/10th as famous as MJ during his apex.
I never said that Drake was MJ level but most people know who he is. The closest artist to Michael Jackson today is probably Taylor Swift but even she falls short.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 27, 2021, 02:11:10 PM

I never said that Drake was MJ level but most people know who he is. The closest artist to Michael Jackson today is probably Taylor Swift but even she falls short.

I'd actually maybe go Justin Timberlake?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on November 27, 2021, 11:01:59 PM

Musically, sure, in terms of fame, not even close. He's not even the most famous singer named Justin.

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 28, 2021, 04:12:07 AM

Musically, sure, in terms of fame, not even close. He's not even the most famous singer named Justin.
Oh, are we really going to go with Bieber? :D. I think Timberlake is more popular due to having more of a cross-generational audience.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

Taylor Swift and Drake are both bigger than Justin Timberlake.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on November 28, 2021, 10:48:08 AM

Taylor Swift and Drake are both bigger than Justin Timberlake.

Even if you include his NSYNC days?  That kind of fandom is the closest thing we've had since MJ.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.