Meta > Suggestions and Questions

(Meta) Moderation guidelines?

(1/10) > >>

hbelkins:
In light of the apparent deletion of the thread about this weekend's upcoming Stewart/Colbert freakshow in DC, and the resulting departure of a member of this forum who is one of the original roadgeeks from MTR, I'm curious about a few things.

Who determines who becomes a moderator? How does one become a moderator here?

How much power does a moderator have?

Do moderators have the power to act unilaterally or do they consult with other moderators before removing a thread, locking a thread, deleting a post, etc.?

Alps:
Politics are currently not covered in the forum guidelines, but religious discussions are barred on the grounds that they cause controversy, yelling, hard times, etc.  I was moderating the thread I created to try to remove the controversial discussions, but my mistake was that I didn't see the event as a political rally when some people clearly do.  So I deleted the entire thread as a result.  Thinking back, I should have just said "will anyone be in the DC area this weekend" and not specified why, but so it goes.  Anyway, that's not really answering your questions.

Moderators are voted on as we perceive a need.  We do vote sometimes based on posting record, familiarity, etc., and discuss with the user before making the nomination.  Asking isn't necessarily the way, but if you hint to the right people, your name might come up.

Power depends on role.  We have several types of moderators here.  You may notice some boards have their own moderator (like Northeast).  They can edit, delete, rearrange etc. posts in that board only.  There are global moderators who can do that with all the posts.  Then there are site admins who carry out any function above and beyond that level.

Moderation is tricky, and I don't have all the answers.  If you're interested in becoming one, please talk to us!

US71:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2010, 01:44:18 PM ---
Who determines who becomes a moderator? How does one become a moderator here?

How much power does a moderator have?

Do moderators have the power to act unilaterally or do they consult with other moderators before removing a thread, locking a thread, deleting a post, etc.?

--- End quote ---

I was asked to be a Moderator and I try to Moderate moderately  :-D

Other Moderators, it often depends on the individual. Sometimes, they just act ("shoot first, ask questions later") Maybe later, they'll discuss it with other Mods (or not).

Other times, we/they discuss things before acting.  Again, it depends on the individual.

Power? Let's just say some Moderators think they are He-Man ;)

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 27, 2010, 05:24:32 PM ---Moderators are voted on as we perceive a need.  We do vote sometimes based on posting record, familiarity, etc., and discuss with the user before making the nomination.

--- End quote ---

That's kind of what I was wondering. How did "we" become "we?" Who was the original "we" and how did the subsequent "we's" get included in the "we?"

I was a little late to the party; I didn't really get involved until around the time of the big brouhaha over V'ger (sparked in part, I know by my posting of a roadgeek meet announcement) so i was curious as to how the original mods were chosen and how subsequent ones are added.

And I am not lobbying to be one at this time. I'm already doing "roadgeek" and I'm not sure that my style of moderation would work well in this more structured setting.

agentsteel53:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2010, 12:26:57 AM ---i was curious as to how the original mods were chosen and how subsequent ones are added.

--- End quote ---

trial and error.  some more error than others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version