Regional Boards > Northwest

The (Somewhat) Great Interstate 82 Debate

(1/8) > >>

Tarkus:
Well, as someone who has driven Interstate 82 in Oregon/Washington a fair amount, I've kind of wondered about this for some time now.  Interstate 82 made sense when I-84 was still I-80N until the 1980s, but now, it doesn't make much sense and violates the numbering conventions.

I know some roadgeeks have suggested extending it south eventually, but even in its current state, at both its termini, it's heading north-south. 

So, I'm curious to know what everyone thinks.

-Alex (Tarkus)

DrZoidberg:
I'd be in favor of renumbering it as either an I-X84 or even an I-90 3-di.  I've never heard of plans to extend it south.  What would those plans entail?

I suppose, if they ever wanted to expand, they COULD multiplex it with I-84 through Boise and axe I-86 altogether.

DrZoidberg:

--- Quote ---I suppose, if they ever wanted to expand, they COULD multiplex it with I-84 through Boise and axe I-86 altogether.
--- End quote ---

Though I should add this would be quite pointless....

flaroads:
...Or multiplex Interstate 86 with Interstate 84 and switch it from 82 to 86. Then Interstate 182 could become 186. That would make a little more sense and keep it within the "grid" per say. And if an I-x84 or and I-x90 were used it would create a problem for existing I-182 (as in what would that become?). Just a thought.

DrZoidberg:

--- Quote ---And if an I-x84 or and I-x90 were used it would create a problem for existing I-182 (as in what would that become?). Just a thought.
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing it could become either unsigned (sign it as US 12) or perhaps I-190 or an odd 3-di off the existing 3-di.

If I-82 became a 3-di, would it be an odd or even?  It doesn't return to its parent, which makes me think odd...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version