Regional Boards > Ohio Valley

SW Pennsylvania

<< < (46/46)

Mr_Northside:

--- Quote from: MASTERNC on August 24, 2021, 09:27:38 AM ---I viewed the proposed design, I wonder how they will get any hazmat/oversize that overshot the exit off the highway.

--- End quote ---

They'll probably just turn them around at the base of the tunnels.  That's what they started doing with the inbound Squirrel Hill tunnel.   They used to try and direct traffic off @ Edgewood / Swissvale with detectors and lights, but they shifted that a few years ago to the tunnel plaza.   What sucks about making that standard operating procedure is it requires that traffic be stopped while the over-height vehicle turns around.
(Outbound [EB] over-height traffic is directed to get off @ Squirrel Hill when the lights are flashing)

--- Quote ---The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.

--- End quote ---
I've always kind of wondered how much use that runaway truck ramp gets. 

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 24, 2021, 04:14:01 PM ---
--- Quote ---The concern I have is more of runaway trucks using the ramp instead of the escape ramp, since they are so close.

--- End quote ---
I've always kind of wondered how much use that runaway truck ramp gets.

--- End quote ---

Enough to be justified I'm sure.  It's almost always not needed during Rush Hour though, due to traffic going at a snails pace already due to the weave condition at the bottom of the hill.

rickmastfan67:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 26, 2021, 08:29:53 PM ---PennDOT - District 11 News: I-376 Banksville Interchange Project Online Virtual Public Open House Thursday

--- End quote ---

Watching the video, I hope somebody pointed out the following to them in the animation that might still cause a lot of trouble.

They show Banksville Road merging onto I-376 with 2 lanes and with the 2 lanes from I-376, merging into only 3 lanes.  That will be a nightmare trying to force 2 lanes of traffic into one lane (the right lane on I-376 & the left lane on the ramp from Banksville to form a 'middle' lane).  They really need to turn Banksville into a single lane by the time of the merge onto I-376.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version