Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Wisconsin notes

<< < (678/689) > >>

US 12 fan:
There is a County L in Kenosha County and in Walworth County.

peterj920:

--- Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2021, 07:20:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Caps81943 on September 21, 2021, 12:43:39 AM ---I've been looking into and exploring Wisconsin a lot lately, and I've noticed something with the county trunk road system. There is a SERIOUS lack of County Road L's. As in, there's only a handful in the entire state.

Can anyone explain this mysterious lack of L's?

--- End quote ---
I also beleive that the only LL that exist in the whole state is the one in Ozaukee County. I beleive just about every other double letter of the same is used quite frequently.

--- End quote ---

County L and County R were not used initially because for advanced warning signs in the past there was the letter L for left and letter R for right. When advanced turn arrow signs replaced the letters, then County L and County R were used. Notice that the ones designated are newer. For example County L in Oneida Co is Old US 51 and County R in Brown/Manitowoc Co is old US 141 when I-43 opened.

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: peterj920 on October 08, 2021, 11:56:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2021, 07:20:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Caps81943 on September 21, 2021, 12:43:39 AM ---I've been looking into and exploring Wisconsin a lot lately, and I've noticed something with the county trunk road system. There is a SERIOUS lack of County Road L's. As in, there's only a handful in the entire state.

--- End quote ---
I also beleive that the only LL that exist in the whole state is the one in Ozaukee County. I beleive just about every other double letter of the same is used quite frequently.

--- End quote ---

County L and County R were not used initially because for advanced warning signs in the past there was the letter L for left and letter R for right. When advanced turn arrow signs replaced the letters, then County L and County R were used. Notice that the ones designated are newer. For example County L in Oneida Co is Old US 51 and County R in Brown/Manitowoc Co is old US 141 when I-43 opened.

--- End quote ---

Yeah back up the topic I stated this, but thanks for the additional info.

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 21, 2021, 08:57:41 AM ---

--- End quote ---

My guess....  Back when these highways were laid out, US and State highways had small "L" and "R" signs to indicate direction instead of arrows.  Counties stayed away from these two letters to avoid confusion because I don't think there are many CTH-R's either.

--- End quote ---

dvferyance:

--- Quote from: US 12 fan on October 08, 2021, 07:34:30 PM ---There is a County L in Kenosha County and in Walworth County.

--- End quote ---
Eau Claire, Washburn, Lincoln/Oneida, Dodge and Marinette I beleive are the only other ones left. Did I miss any?

I-39:
Have they officially restarted the I-39/90/94 study between Madison and the Dells? The section on the WisDOT website regarding it is  outdated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version