News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: NE2 on July 20, 2012, 01:14:26 AM
It would be no different from any other rails-with-trails installation. (The rail line is part of the "Meridian Speedway", an intermodal corridor between DFW and the I-85 corridor.)

And as such that rail line is used quite a bit.

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2012, 12:29:23 AM
Absolutely. I was surprised that it's not. Maybe it could be open during daylight hours except when a train is on the bridge - you'd close it a half hour in advance and reopen it right after. I don't think that many trains use it. (Security issues, potentially?)

According to a security guard I talked to once at the bridge, security issues is a major reason the bridge is closed to non-train traffic. He may or may not be right, but it sounds legit.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alps

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 22, 2012, 12:19:40 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 20, 2012, 01:14:26 AM
It would be no different from any other rails-with-trails installation. (The rail line is part of the "Meridian Speedway", an intermodal corridor between DFW and the I-85 corridor.)

And as such that rail line is used quite a bit.

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2012, 12:29:23 AM
Absolutely. I was surprised that it's not. Maybe it could be open during daylight hours except when a train is on the bridge - you'd close it a half hour in advance and reopen it right after. I don't think that many trains use it. (Security issues, potentially?)

According to a security guard I talked to once at the bridge, security issues is a major reason the bridge is closed to non-train traffic. He may or may not be right, but it sounds legit.
I'm sure that's the reason, but just install a couple of cameras on the bridge. People are able to walk on all sorts of bridges up here without issues arising, and it's because of eyes on the bridge. If the concern is that not enough people will be on the bridge to monitor it, then the cameras can be your eyes.

RPParish

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 25, 2012, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: pctech on June 25, 2012, 11:42:43 AM
I took my first drive across the Audubon bridge north of Baton Rouge this weekend. It's very impressive indeed. There was hardly any traffic at all,( in either direction) I can't help but think that the money for this could have spent better somewhere else in the system. 

Have you driven the Sunshine or the Gramercy-Lutcher Bridges? Speaking of bridges to nowhere.

The Sunshine Bridge has a good amount of traffic.  The Lutcher-Gramercy Bridge will get its use when LA 3127 is connected to Houma.

mcdonaat

Drove across it today, the bridges have a good amount of traffic. Here's to hoping we at least get US 51 extended to Houma via the Gramercy Bridge.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: RPParish on July 24, 2012, 10:58:28 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 25, 2012, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: pctech on June 25, 2012, 11:42:43 AM
I took my first drive across the Audubon bridge north of Baton Rouge this weekend. It's very impressive indeed. There was hardly any traffic at all,( in either direction) I can't help but think that the money for this could have spent better somewhere else in the system. 

Have you driven the Sunshine or the Gramercy-Lutcher Bridges? Speaking of bridges to nowhere.

The Sunshine Bridge has a good amount of traffic.  The Lutcher-Gramercy Bridge will get its use when LA 3127 is connected to Houma.

I sure the Audubon bridge will accure a good amount of traffic in 30 and 50 years respectivelly just like those two bridges mentioned aboved.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cjk374

I've always wanted the US 80 bridge reopened to vehicular traffic.  I know it would be costly to widen it to 2-12'-wide travel lanes (they are currently 9'), but if the I-20 bridge closes for whatever reason, that would also be a MUCH shorter detour than having to drive to Natchez or Greenville.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on July 26, 2012, 09:24:21 PM
I've always wanted the US 80 bridge reopened to vehicular traffic.  I know it would be costly to widen it to 2-12'-wide travel lanes (they are currently 9'), but if the I-20 bridge closes for whatever reason, that would also be a MUCH shorter detour than having to drive to Natchez or Greenville.
If the I-20 bridge closed, they'd probably reopen it (either to cars only, or alternating). You'd still want to detour via Natchez or Greenville due to traffic.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

RPParish

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 24, 2012, 08:47:42 PM
Drove across it today, the bridges have a good amount of traffic. Here's to hoping we at least get US 51 extended to Houma via the Gramercy Bridge.

Maybe they can run wild with and extend I-55 to Houma/Port Fourchon.

codyg1985

Quote from: RPParish on August 06, 2012, 02:10:41 PM

Don't forget the spur, I-155, to Grand Isle, then to Venice-Boothville.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mcdonaat

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 06, 2012, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: RPParish on August 06, 2012, 02:10:41 PM

Don't forget the spur, I-155, to Grand Isle, then to Venice-Boothville.
Throw in I-255, a much-needed loop around the major area of Hammond. I-355 can be a spur from Laplace to Morgan City, and I-755 can be from Bogalusa to Slidell. Kidding, of course!!

Who here things the Pineville Expressway should be designated as I-149 or 349? It's an expressway, with the proper Clearview format installed, and numbering it as an Interstate, even if hidden, would allow for Exit 1 to be placed at the interchange with I-49 and the downtown Alexandria exits. Makes just as much sense as the hidden I-910 designation, to be honest.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Quote from: NE2 on August 06, 2012, 04:25:49 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on August 06, 2012, 04:17:09 PM
with the proper Clearview format installed

You know... Actual Clearview that is readable, numbers in FHWA style, and the same size font for the whole word. Even has picture directional signs. It looks almost perfect, except for the one sign that was hit by a truck and looks shredded.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mcdonaat on August 06, 2012, 04:44:59 PMexcept for the one sign that was hit by a truck and looks shredded.

damn signs not passing that part of ISO legibility standards!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cenlaroads

Who here things the Pineville Expressway should be designated as I-149 or 349? It's an expressway, with the proper Clearview format installed, and numbering it as an Interstate, even if hidden, would allow for Exit 1 to be placed at the interchange with I-49 and the downtown Alexandria exits. Makes just as much sense as the hidden I-910 designation, to be honest.

I think the only thing preventing this is the lack of shoulders for most of the length of the expressway.  Otherwise it might be a good idea.  There are long term plans to widen the expressway to 6 lanes from the Red River to US 165, and the expressway north of 165 has proper lanes, so maybe one day it could happen.

Urban Prairie Schooner

It would just be a redundant designation, assuming US 167 remains in place, and I don't see 167 moving or being eliminated any time soon. At least Business US 90 (hidden I-910) is to be replaced by I-49 when all is said and done.

Also, am I the only one who glances at the Pineville Expressway on the map and sees it as the 'aorta' of Louisiana north-to-south traffic circulation, if Alexandria is likened to the 'heart'?

mcdonaat

To be a proper expressway, I feel that extending LA 28's onramp southbound to the river would be best, and acceleration lanes are really needed. Other than that, the newly resurfaced section north of US 71 South is the best in the state. Signage is superb, but I wish it was 70MPH between 165 and the 71/167 split.

Darkchylde

Well, the work at the southern end of the Causeway because of the floodwall construction may get done faster than expected - http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/08/traffic_snarling_construction.html

pctech

I drove up U.S. 61 to St. Francisville  a couple of weeks ago . The new sections of 61 are very nice, rebuilt with concrete roadway/shoulders and bridges also have been rebuilt to modern standards as well. I  wish that DODT had resurfaced the old sections of the highway as well, the surface is pretty worn out.

mcdonaat

A quick look at a 1930 map of Ascension Parish shows SR 1, 77, 525, etc.. but it also makes mention of Airline Hwy as a straight road, already built, as a hard-surfaced four-lane road as early as 1930. No SR 1500 as it was numbered, or US 61... only a route marker (normal circle) with Air Line inside of it.

The Pineville Expressway signing project has been completed in full, even with the Clearview directional shields in place (picture of highway split with shields and arrows). The new US 165 Business route through Alexandria has been signed, but the shields were just moved from Masonic Drive to Bolton Ave.

pctech

I-10 closed  from flooding between exit 182 and exit 209, also US 61 closed in the same area. Traffic being diverted across to sunshine bridge to the west to reach NOLA or via I-12 to Hammond then south on I-55. I don't remember this ever happening before.

Mark

mcdonaat

Parish shield update - Webster Parish does a Union Parish system, where every little parish road has a number and is signed accordingly. Also, Goodwill Road (Webster PR 117) isn't signed on the BGS's on I-20, but is signed at the offramp as PR 117. Also is signed at LA 528 with a very, very old shield.

Union Parish actually refers to the roads on the 911 as Parish Road X. I wish the same could be said about some other parishes... I'm almost inclined to steal a Winn Parish marker just because it's the last one left in the entire parish.

roadman65

I was actually wondering what the four digit LA route numbers signify?  I see them sporadically spread out throughout the state and they cannot be secondary roads as each parish has its own shields and traditional numbers like many state with county routes have.

I am guessing that they are like Georgia Connector designations in a way, but this is only what I can conclude as I see no common denomaters here?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2012, 08:18:01 PM
I was actually wondering what the four digit LA route numbers signify?  I see them sporadically spread out throughout the state and they cannot be secondary roads as each parish has its own shields and traditional numbers like many state with county routes have.

I am guessing that they are like Georgia Connector designations in a way, but this is only what I can conclude as I see no common denomaters here?
No, the hyphenated routes are more like connectors and spurs. Ignore the number of digits when visiting Louisiana.

mcdonaat

Quote from: roadman65 on September 11, 2012, 08:18:01 PM

Four digit routes, you say? Like LA 1241, LA 3029, or LA 1208-3? They're simply part of our renumbering. We have 1,241 original numbers, with 3xxx routes given as temporary numbers, but that got abused quickly. LA 1000 is no different than LA 999.

Hyphenated routes aren't spurs... I came across a LA 987-3 Spur a few weeks ago, and have the disgust of commuting by it every day. It's like if Georgia 625 (dunno if that's a real route) existed inside of a city, but consisted of multiple city streets. Each different piece of the 625 family would get a number, like GA 625-1, GA 625-2. But like Steve said, ignore the digits. They mean nothing, at all. Be GLAD you didn't visit in 1954, you could take State Route C-1500 down to State Route 7-D, which would put you on State Route 1315 1/2.

roadman65

Thanks for the information.  It is interesting and, if I am not mistaken, Kentucky uses 4 digit route numbers as well.  This is something that not only happens in the Bayou Country, and I think I saw the Bluegrass use them on main routes as well.  I do not want to go to KY here, as this is for the Southeast, but to use as a quick note.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.