News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Up for bidding is the closure of LA 456 at the UPRR. That closure would most likely result in the transfer of ownership of LA 456 from US 167 to US 71, freeing up a tiny amount of miles. The original Jefferson Highway would also not be able to be traveled. I'm thinking that LA 456 will actually be deleted from LA 112 all the way to US 71, meaning a shorter route. In my opinion, I would push for that route to be designated Spur LA 470 or Spur LA 112.

roadman65

I see why everyone does not like Opalasous as control city on I-10 for I-49.  Further west you have Alexandria for US 165 and Shreveport for US 171.  That does seem odd that an interstate heading for either Shreveport or Alexandria does not get a mention for two fairly average size cities along its route, but two US routes do.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Anthony_JK

Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2012, 06:30:46 PM
I see why everyone does not like Opalasous as control city on I-10 for I-49.  Further west you have Alexandria for US 165 and Shreveport for US 171.  That does seem odd that an interstate heading for either Shreveport or Alexandria does not get a mention for two fairly average size cities along its route, but two US routes do.

First...it's OPELOUSAS.

Second...it's the largest city on I-49 north of Lafayette going to Alexandria, and it's a significant rail and roadway route going east or west. Therefore, it more than deserves control city status on I-49.

Plus, what do you have on US 165 between Lake Charles and Alexandria?? Kinder??  Oakdale?? Forest Hill??  Glenmora?? Seriously???

At least US 171 has Leesville, DeRidder, and Many as viable control routes...and even they aren't as big as Opelousas.

mcdonaat

Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2012, 06:30:46 PM
Opelousas is a perfect control city. An alternate route for I-10 is used, along with two US routes intersecting (US 167 and US 190). It's a fairly large city, and the parish seat of St. Landry Parish. It's too important of a city.

US 165 is used mostly by people going to Alexandria. US 171 is used mostly by people going to Shreveport. I-49 is used mostly, for traffic from I-10 north, by people going to Opelousas. Direct people where they will likely be going.

HOWEVER, in this same statement, make it known that LA 415 should have Lobdell and Opelousas identified as control cities. TO US 190 is used TO Opelousas, so it makes sense.

Anthony_JK

The BGS for the LA 415 exit for WB I-10 used to have a secondary sign showing Opelousas as a control city.  I don't know if it's still there.

US 190 to I-49 North of Opelousas is also used as a direct path to Alexandria and points northward...replacing US 71 through Morrow, Bunkie, and Meeker. Plus, there's that HUGE Walmart Distribution Center just N of 'Da Op near Nuba, and the Evangeline Downs "racino"/hotel complex.

roadman65

I have no problem with Opelousas, myself.  I plan on travleing I-49 later today after I leave Houma, hope I get great pictures along the way and cannot wait to see the new construction north of Shreveport.

Sheryl Crowe

mcdonaat

A note of reference - Opelousas' sign has been replaced with Westport.

Also to note - ALL state routes that intersect I-10, and are paved, have TO US 190 shields, and TO Alternate Route I-10 shields... at least the ones that are paved. I like those signs because it allows police to divert traffic from I-10 onto any small and insignificant route and allow the traffic to naturally find its way to US 190.

Alex

Quote from: mcdonaat on September 26, 2012, 12:31:55 AM

Also to note - ALL state routes that intersect I-10, and are paved, have TO US 190 shields, and TO Alternate Route I-10 shields... at least the ones that are paved. I like those signs because it allows police to divert traffic from I-10 onto any small and insignificant route and allow the traffic to naturally find its way to US 190.

I noted the Alternate I-10 trailblazers in the Port Allen area on a visit in January 2009. When were these installed?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alex on September 27, 2012, 02:45:07 PM

I noted the Alternate I-10 trailblazers in the Port Allen area on a visit in January 2009. When were these installed?
2008/2009.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

roadman65

Quote from: Alex on September 27, 2012, 02:45:07 PM

I hope they pave LA 169 around the new I-49 freeway that is not paved in NW LA and has an exit ramps being built.  Its only a short distance to US 71 and you have to slow down and LADOT has the maximum limit at 15 mph to use any part of LA 169 between the future and present day routes.

Sheryl Crowe

mcdonaat

Found yet another parish sign.. St. John the Baptist PR 25, at the corner of LA 44 and LA 3223. Makes me wonder if LA 3223 was ever signed as PR 23 before the state took that section over...

apjung

Another question is why is Morgan City listed at a control city on I-10 BGS signs to US 90. Should it be New Iberia which is closer to Lafayette and has 2½ times the population.

roadman65

Quote from: apjung on September 30, 2012, 01:16:02 AM
Another question is why is Morgan City listed at a control city on I-10 BGS signs to US 90. Should it be New Iberia which is closer to Lafayette and has 2½ times the population.
Even Houma is bigger than Morgan City and if not New Iberia than even that would make another good control point.

Sheryl Crowe

achilles765

Quote from: mcdonaat on August 06, 2012, 04:17:09 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on August 06, 2012, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: RPParish on August 06, 2012, 02:10:41 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on July 24, 2012, 08:47:42 PM

Who here things the Pineville Expressway should be designated as I-149 or 349? It's an expressway, with the proper Clearview format installed, and numbering it as an Interstate, even if hidden, would allow for Exit 1 to be placed at the interchange with I-49 and the downtown Alexandria exits. Makes just as much sense as the hidden I-910 designation, to be honest.

I have been saying this for years now.  Numbered IH 349 or IH 549 in case of a future spur in or south of Lafayette.  Also, extend it a little. 
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Anthony_JK

Quote from: apjung on September 30, 2012, 01:16:02 AM

Probably because US 90 goes through the heart of Morgan City, but mostly bypasses New Iberia. But, I wouldn't oppose NI being a control city, either.

brownpelican

Darkchylde

Voters make their call - no tolls on the Crescent City Connection

http://www.wwl.com/Voters-shoot-down-CCC-tolls/14720081

EDIT: ...And of course, this one's up in the air now. Gotta love Louisiana.

brownpelican

At last check, the "Yea" votes had an eight-vote lead in the CCC tolls vote.

In other news, four lanes now await you as you exit the southbound lanes of the Causeway Bridge widening/levee project is done. Northbound shall be done early next month.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2012/11/lanes_to_open_friday_at_metair.html

mcdonaat

In Baton Rouge news, state officials say they will not widen the southern end of the Baton Rouge Expressway (I-10 between the bridge and Perkins). I hope HOV lanes come into talks, along with closing the Washington Street exit... maybe by pushing the exit north to leave 110 instead of 10.

http://theadvocate.com/home/4387764-125/state-decides-widening-i-10-between

Also, I-10 widening between the 10/12 split and Highland should be completed by the end of the year. Maybe the state will widen 10 from Highland to Gonzales next.... if only.
http://theadvocate.com/home/4390975-125/i-10-widening-to-be-finished

pctech

For various reasons the I-10 widen project from 110 to the 10/12 split is not going to happen, everyone  should accept this. We could rebuilt  the 10/110 exchange into a modern stack design to deal with the issues there. As far as improving the surface streets in the area, that'll be a tall order too. No good modern thoroughfare parallels I-10 thru this area

Anthony_JK

Quote from: pctech on November 12, 2012, 10:24:40 AM
For various reasons the I-10 widen project from 110 to the 10/12 split is not going to happen, everyone  should accept this. We could rebuilt  the 10/110 exchange into a modern stack design to deal with the issues there. As far as improving the surface streets in the area, that'll be a tall order too. No good modern thoroughfare parallels I-10 thru this area

A better solution would be these steps:

1) Fix the I-10/I-110 Split interchange by rebuilding the eastbound TOTSO ramp to two to three lanes, and eliminate the Washington St. exit, since the Highland Rd/Nicholson Dr. ramps on I-10 and extending East Boulevard and the I-10/I-110 frontage roads can adequately handle that traffic.

2) Build a direct south I-10 bypass from just west of Lobdell/Westpark to near Addis, then upgrade LA 1 through Plaquemine and Donaldsonville to freeway standards (with appropriate bypasses), and then use LA 70/the Sunshine Bridge to make the connection with existing I-10 S of Gonzales.

3) Upgrade Airline Highway from LA 415 to the existing I-12 interchange to freeway standards, including improvements to the New Mississippi Bridge.

4) Expedite I-49 South, especially between Lafayette and Morgan City.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 12, 2012, 02:24:38 PM
Quote from: pctech on November 12, 2012, 10:24:40 AM

A better solution would be these steps:

1) Fix the I-10/I-110 Split interchange by rebuilding the eastbound TOTSO ramp to two to three lanes, and eliminate the Washington St. exit, since the Highland Rd/Nicholson Dr. ramps on I-10 and extending East Boulevard and the I-10/I-110 frontage roads can adequately handle that traffic.

2) Build a direct south I-10 bypass from just west of Lobdell/Westpark to near Addis, then upgrade LA 1 through Plaquemine and Donaldsonville to freeway standards (with appropriate bypasses), and then use LA 70/the Sunshine Bridge to make the connection with existing I-10 S of Gonzales.

3) Upgrade Airline Highway from LA 415 to the existing I-12 interchange to freeway standards, including improvements to the New Mississippi Bridge.

4) Expedite I-49 South, especially between Lafayette and Morgan City.
1) That should be priority #1. Fix the curve and traffic will flow better.

2) Maybe name this I-810. Extend LA 415 south to meet it, and just continue the freeway south to Donaldsonville, or to Gramercy.

3) Don't upgrade Airline to freeway standards, but install frontage roads. You can let the frontage roads bulb out whenever older oak trees are in the way, but removing driveways from Airline is the key. J-turns are a good traffic maneuver, and I use them all the time when traffic is heavy.

4) Sign US 90, for now, as "Morgan City, New Orleans." Also put signs up that say trucks need to take US 90 to New Orleans; the weigh station in Breaux Bridge should help with enforcement. Resign I-10 as Baton Rouge and Slidell. In fact, for fun, when you get to the 10/12 split, sign I-12 as Hammond and Biloxi instead of Hammond and Slidell.

brownpelican

The counting of 30 military, overseas and provisional ballots has begun as of this posting in New Orleans. These ballots will determine the fate of the CCC tolls, in which the "Yes" votes are up by eight.

brownpelican

WWL-TV reports the renewal of the tolls have passed by sixteen votes after the counting of 30 military, overseas and provisional ballots. A recount is likely.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orleans/CCC--179091111.html

apjung

Even though I live on the Eastbank, I voted no. I usually take the CCC to the Westbank and the Huey P Long Bridge back to the Eastbank. I guess I'll have to keep doing this until I turn 61.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.