News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

DOTD has a proposal for four-laning US 11 from Gause Blvd./US 190 to I-12, including the replacement of the bridge over the N-S Railroad. The proposal also has changes to several intersections, which doesn't please city leaders and some residents.

Darkchylde

The need for capacity is there, no question. It's going to suck when the bridge over the railroad goes, though. The thing's so old, it's got markings from the state's original numbering system - when the route was "State Route 2," way back before first US 90, and then later US 11 was routed on the road.

Quality's not the best, but you can see what I mean there.

Anthony_JK

More big news in Baton Rouge: LADOTD just released the Tier 1 Final EIS on the proposed Baton Rouge Loop tollway.

The links for all the FEIS documents can be found here.

The preferred alternative is a full loop around BTR consisting of three phases:

1) North Section: Starts at I-10 west of Lobdell; goes north to US 190/Airline Highway, then overlays/upgrades Airline Highway/US 190/US 61 (including a possible upgrade of the current "Old Mississippi River" Bridge or a new bridge span) to the Plank Road interchange with Airline Hwy.; then diverts NE'wrd along Plank Road for about 1/2 mile before breaking eastward on new terrain alignment just south of Central and north of I-12 and US 190 north of Denham Springs and Walker; before rejoining I-12 just east of Walker.

2) South Section: Starts at same terminus with I-10/North Section, procedes south across the Intercoastal Waterway, then SE to LA 1 near Addis to a new southern crossing of the Mississippi River just south of Addis; then generally along Gardere to connect with I-10 west of Gonzales.

3) East Section: Connects I-10 south of Gonzales with the eastern terminus of the North Section at I-12.

Obviously, this is only to establish the corridors that would be further analyzed in the Tier 2 EIS process, and there's no money as of yet for construction. Although, the North Section of the loop is scheduled as Priority B under LADOTD's recently ratified State Transportation Plan.

Here's a map showing the preferred alternative (in yellow) and other alternatives that were rejected (in red):

This is totally independent of the study now ongoing regarding widening I-10 through Baton Rouge.

Personally, I'd prefer upgrading Airline Highway between LA 415 and I-12 with a connection to I-10 west of BTR (the current BUMP proposal) combined with a southern bypass of I-10; pushing into the future a widening of I-10, twinspanning the New Mississippi River bridge, and reworking the I-10/I-110 Split interchange to allow for at least three lanes of through traffic for I-10 in each direction. But, that's only me.

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 29, 2015, 01:23:17 PM

Is there a larger version of this map available?

I happened to notice that DOTD is working on a potential interchange for I-12 at LA 16 (Pete's Highway) in Denham Springs. Is this interchange really necessary? I pass through that area frequently, and I don't see the need for it.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Anthony_JK

I grafted the image off the Tier 1 FEIS document; you might find a bigger image there.

The Pete's Highway interchange at I-12 was first advanced by the City of Denham Springs, so I figure they thought it was needed to add a second access route for that city to handle the explosive growth there.

jbnv

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 29, 2015, 04:43:00 PM
The Pete's Highway interchange at I-12 was first advanced by the City of Denham Springs, so I figure they thought it was needed to add a second access route for that city to handle the explosive growth there.

Third (Juban Rd). Of course the city will advance it themselves since they directly benefit from it. If they feel that way they can pay for it themselves. Or improve Juban Rd. so that they can move more traffic around the city. (I don't know the details but I believe an effort to improve Juban Rd. is already in progress.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

brownpelican

Two things:

Widening of La. 21/South Tyler Street in Covington is slated to be finished in 2017.

Ramp meters on the Pontchartrain Expressway in downtown New Orleans are slated to go into effect next month.

The Ghostbuster

Back to the Baton Rouge Loop tollway, I know this is almost two months later, but I assumed the Loop Toll Road was dead.

brownpelican

They're almost done with the reconstruction of the I-12/US 51 Bus/Railroad Avenue interchange and the Railroad Avenue/Club Deluxe Road intersection in Hammond. They're putting in three traffic circles at the former signalized intersections.

jbnv

Quote from: brownpelican on March 17, 2016, 11:27:44 PM
They're almost done with the reconstruction of the I-12/US 51 Bus/Railroad Avenue interchange and the Railroad Avenue/Club Deluxe Road intersection in Hammond. They're putting in three traffic circles at the former signalized intersections.

I sure hope that they are "almost" done. The work looks incomplete.

brownpelican

According to Congressman Garret Graves (R-La., Baton Rouge), the capital city has the worst traffic in the country.

http://theadvocate.com/news/15594132-123/congressman-garrett-graves-calls-cats-a-disaster-talks-transportation-issues

The Ghostbuster

I thought it was Los Angeles that had the country's worst traffic.

pctech

Is Garret going to come up with a lot of $$$$$ for traffic issues here? I wouldn't hold my breath. :-D

brownpelican

Gov. Edwards jas created a task force to deal with the state's transportation backlog. DOTD Secretary Shawn Wilson is co-chair with Edwards naming the other one later. Recommendations are due by Jan. 1, 2017, which may become part of that year's legislative agenda.

brownpelican

Work begins today to remove the toll structure at the Crescent City Connection. Construction should be wrapped up by October, weather permitting.

Henry

Quote from: brownpelican on April 26, 2016, 01:52:43 PM
According to Congressman Garret Graves (R-La., Baton Rouge), the capital city has the worst traffic in the country.

http://theadvocate.com/news/15594132-123/congressman-garrett-graves-calls-cats-a-disaster-talks-transportation-issues
Sounds like complete, utter BS.

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 26, 2016, 03:42:31 PM
I thought it was Los Angeles that had the country's worst traffic.
Exactly.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jbnv

Quote from: Henry on June 13, 2016, 04:54:41 PM
Sounds like complete, utter BS.

Have you driven in it? I did just this morning.

froggie

I have.  And I would not rank Baton Rouge as "the worst traffic in the country".  Not by a longshot.  That statement was very much a political point attempt by the Congressman.

brownpelican

A TP columnist gives a good rant about Louisiana's interstate highways, which are some of the worst in the country, one group says.

But we all knew that, right?

brownpelican

The state has received a $60 million FASTLANE grant from the feds to resurface and add a lane on I-10 between I-49 and the Atchafalaya Basin bridge. State money that would have gone toward this project will now go toward the relocation of the Washington Street exit on I-10 East.

jbnv

Crossed the Basin today. The state has replaced the perfectly-good Clearview signs at the feet of the bridge with FWHA equivalents. I'm very disappointed that Louisiana is actually listening to the feds and abandoning Clearview. (I do see evidence that they have finally learned some lessons about making good-looking signage, but too late.)

codyg1985

At least replace the signs after they wear out, not if they are brand new.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

brownpelican

Another toll raise on the Causeway? It may be done to fund all the safety work they wanna do.

brownpelican

The Causeway Commission voted Wednesday night to increase the tolls, which will go toward safety improvements on the bridge, including higher railings and shoulder sections. Toll tags will increase to $3 and cash customers will see the rate go up to $5.

brownpelican

Gov. Edwards announced a plan to widen Interstate 10 from Highland Road in Baton Rouge to Jefferson Highway (La. 73) in Ascension Parish. Work could begin in a year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.