News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: bulldog1979 on August 25, 2022, 06:03:56 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 24, 2022, 09:08:44 AM
Why are all highways in Michigan called Trunklines?

When the system was created in 1913, the legislation called them "State Reward Trunk Line Highways". Over the years, "reward" was removed from the name (the state was no longer paying county road commissions to maintain the highways on its behalf) and the space was removed to result in "trunkline". As mentioned above, a "trunkline" implies a main corridor in a transportation system, and since traffic funnels onto the state highways to pass from place to place, that adjective is appropriate.

Here's another comment from MN about this:

QuoteA trunk highway system is a network of interstates and state highways that, similar to the trunk of a tree, serves as a main route connecting cities, ports, airports and other important locations within the state, Barnard said.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesta-trunk-or-state-highway-what-s-the-difference/568611692/#:~:text=A%20trunk%20highway%20system%20is,within%20the%20state%2C%20Barnard%20said. (possible paywall)

As far as I know, MN, WI and MI are the only three states that use trunk or trunkline highway, and in MN at least, every state-numbered road is a trunk highway internally including interstates and US routes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JREwing78

Quote from: afguy on September 15, 2022, 03:25:52 PM
MDOT has unveiled three options for improving the ramps at M-14/Barton Drive. I personally prefer the 4th option which is the "dogbone" interchange design.
Potential changes to Ann Arbor M-14 interchange could include extended ramps, roundabouts

That dogbone option makes a lot of sense. It's easy for drivers to figure out. It ultimately takes up less space. It allows for proper distance to enter and exit the highway. It's appropriately sized for the volume it will receive. All of this is assuming that there's matching weave/merge lanes on the south side of the bridge for N Main/Bus US-23 traffic entering and exiting M-14.

Ideally, MDOT would replace the bridge with a 10-lane wide structure with proper shoulders, and a barrier separating 6 through travel lanes from 4 weave/merge lanes.

rhen_var

I'm glad a proposal to replace the Barton Drive interchange has finally come.  That interchange is horrible, though I will miss its quirky 1960's design.  I think the dogbone option is the best, as it lengthens the weaving lane for southbound traffic for the Main Street exit somewhat, while the longer and straighter ramp would also lessen the speed differential at the weave.  Though I question the need for the roundabout at the southbound exit/entrance, no one is going to need to turn left onto M-14 south after exiting northbound or vice versa.  Wouldn't it make more sense to have a straight ramp there with an exit to M-14 south for the eastbound portion on the westbound part of the ramp have the M-14 south exit ramp merge?

thenetwork

The T's have been crossed, the I's have been dotted and the funding is now officially secured for the downsizing of I-375:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2022/09/15/feds-repair-black-bottom-damage-i-375-detroit/69494632007/

The Ghostbuster

That's disappointing, though not unexpected. The proposed downgrade has been in the works since 2013.

kernals12

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2022, 12:09:08 PM
That's disappointing, though not unexpected. The proposed downgrade has been in the works since 2013.

Who cares about the demolition of a freeway that hardly anyone uses?

I do find it hillarious that people are raving about a few acres of surplus land in a city where entire blocks are vacant.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kernals12 on September 18, 2022, 02:53:22 PM

I do find it hillarious that people are raving about a few acres of surplus land in a city where entire blocks are vacant.

It gets people talking and thinking that Detroit is instantly going to become great again overnight.

It's still fine that it's being downgraded though.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Terry Shea

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 18, 2022, 05:55:49 PM

It gets people talking and thinking that Detroit is instantly going to become great again overnight.

There's absolutely no reason to waste money on such stupidity.  It is what it is.  Detroit is what it is.  That neighborhood is what it is.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 18, 2022, 06:20:08 PM

There's absolutely no reason to waste money on such stupidity.  It is what it is.  Detroit is what it is.  That neighborhood is what it is.

Nothing's going to change overnight, but removing that freeway very much could transform that neighborhood over a decade or two.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Terry Shea

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 18, 2022, 06:36:20 PM

Nothing's going to change overnight, but removing that freeway very much could transform that neighborhood over a decade or two.
The only thing it's going to do is waste more taxpayer money on absolutely stupid, unnecessary projects that could be used for 100 other necessary projects that MDOT can't seem to find any funding for.

Alps

I will note that the only nice part* of Detroit is right next to 375, so there is some thought here to extend the visitable area and try to make the city core viable again.
*I'm well aware there are many.

JoePCool14

Is the condition of 375 deteriorated? If so, then something has to be done either way and a boulevard conversion would makes sense. I can understand if the freeway is in good condition and spending the money would be unnecessary.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

No the freeway is not in good condition.

GaryV

The I-375 removal project also includes fixing the 75 to 75 access (removing the tightest turns). That's a big positive.

kernals12

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 19, 2022, 12:30:01 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 18, 2022, 06:36:20 PM

The only thing it's going to do is waste more taxpayer money on absolutely stupid, unnecessary projects that could be used for 100 other necessary projects that MDOT can't seem to find any funding for.

Well, once they do this, MDOT won't need to pay to maintain the freeway.

Let's also remember that at the same time as this, MDOT is widening I-94.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on September 19, 2022, 09:21:25 AM
The I-375 removal project also includes fixing the 75 to 75 access (removing the tightest turns). That's a big positive.
Hell yeah it is. That's a terrible curve there on I-75 where the suggested speed is only 25 mph.

vegas1962

afguy

It will be interesting to what MDOT recommends. Personally, I would love to BRT running down the middle of Gratiot from Downtown to 8 Mile.
QuoteThe Planning and Environmental Linkages (PEL) study for M-3 (Gratiot Avenue) from Randolph Street to M-102 (8 Mile Road) in Detroit will identify and evaluate safety, multimodal mobility, transit needs, and proposed improvements. The PEL study will help to refine the recommendations of existing plans and studies to create one unified vision for the corridor.
The Gratiot Avenue PEL study will also evaluate:

Safety issues for nonmotorized users
Abundance of travel lanes
Lack of nonmotorized facilities
High transit use
Sidewalk lighting and maintenance
A proposed road diet with dedicated center transit lanes and medians
The PEL study will consider environmental, community, and economic goals early in the transportation planning process. The information analysis and services or recommendations developed during the PEL study will inform the environmental review process.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/projects-studies/studies/planning-and-environmental-linkages-studies/m-3-in-detroit

Flint1979

What is with MDOT and the font in the 58?

jzn110

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 10, 2022, 11:45:13 PM

I'm willing to bet that sign was installed by the local County Road Commission. CRCs are notorious for using bad fonts on signs (at least, they are around my part of Michigan).

wanderer2575

We are one season into the rebuilds of I-275 (between M-14 and I-94) and I-96 (between I-275 and Milford).  Now the next big Metro area rebuilding project begins this weekend.  On Saturday 10/13, westbound I-696 will be down to one open lane between Evergreen Road and M-10, and two open lanes between M-10 and I-96/I-275.  Beginning Sunday and continuing through late December, two lanes will be open through that entire westbound stretch.  This is for prep work for the 2023-2024 reconstruction of I-696.  The work includes widening the right shoulder, pavement patching, and median crossovers.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/10/12/i-696-project-begins-with-westbound-i-696-lane-closures-from-evergreen-road-to-i-275-in-oakland-co

Eastbound will be rebuilt in 2023; westbound will be rebuilt in 2024.  Both directions of traffic will be maintained on the other carriageway with two lanes each direction.  This will be interesting; westbound already has big backups most of the day because of construction on I-96.

Flint1979

Quote from: jzn110 on October 11, 2022, 08:10:52 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 10, 2022, 11:45:13 PM

I'm willing to bet that sign was installed by the local County Road Commission. CRCs are notorious for using bad fonts on signs (at least, they are around my part of Michigan).
It's not the only one and the one on the other side of the street is the normal MDOT one.

afguy

Woodward Avenue will be undergoing a "road diet" between 8 Mile and Interstate 696. Woodward will be reduced from 8 lanes to 6 and will feature protected bike lanes.

QuoteOn Oct. 17, construction on Woodward Avenue between Eight Mile and Interstate 696 will begin. Woodward Moves, a joint venture between Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge and the Michigan Department of Transportation, will reduce one lane in each direction, add a nine-foot parking-protected bike lane, where the parking lane puts a barrier between cars and bicyclists, a three-foot buffer, and about 900 delineators to ensure cars don't cross into the bike lane, Ferndale Downtown Development Authority's Executive Director Lena Stevens told Crain's.

The project also includes repaving up to the northern Ferndale boundary. Pleasant Ridge's portion of the roadway has already been repaved.

The city has received some pushback from residents and businesses who express concern about the year-long construction project obstructing roadways, and the reduction of car lanes increasing traffic density in an already busy area. Lawn signs protesting the "road diet" have been a visible presence in local neighborhoods.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/transportation/woodward-avenue-road-diet-construction-will-add-bike-lanes

Alps

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 13, 2022, 04:51:54 PM
We are one season into the rebuilds of I-275 (between M-14 and I-94) and I-96 (between I-275 and Milford).  Now the next big Metro area rebuilding project begins this weekend.  On Saturday 10/13, westbound I-696 will be down to one open lane between Evergreen Road and M-10, and two open lanes between M-10 and I-96/I-275.  Beginning Sunday and continuing through late December, two lanes will be open through that entire westbound stretch.  This is for prep work for the 2023-2024 reconstruction of I-696.  The work includes widening the right shoulder, pavement patching, and median crossovers.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2022/10/12/i-696-project-begins-with-westbound-i-696-lane-closures-from-evergreen-road-to-i-275-in-oakland-co

Eastbound will be rebuilt in 2023; westbound will be rebuilt in 2024.  Both directions of traffic will be maintained on the other carriageway with two lanes each direction.  This will be interesting; westbound already has big backups most of the day because of construction on I-96.

Huh? 696 was down to one lane each way within my traveling lifetime. Why does it need it again?

pianocello

Quote from: afguy on October 13, 2022, 06:04:01 PM
Woodward Avenue will be undergoing a "road diet" between 8 Mile and Interstate 696. Woodward will be reduced from 8 lanes to 6 and will feature protected bike lanes.

QuoteOn Oct. 17, construction on Woodward Avenue between Eight Mile and Interstate 696 will begin. Woodward Moves, a joint venture between Ferndale, Pleasant Ridge and the Michigan Department of Transportation, will reduce one lane in each direction, add a nine-foot parking-protected bike lane, where the parking lane puts a barrier between cars and bicyclists, a three-foot buffer, and about 900 delineators to ensure cars don't cross into the bike lane, Ferndale Downtown Development Authority's Executive Director Lena Stevens told Crain's.

The project also includes repaving up to the northern Ferndale boundary. Pleasant Ridge's portion of the roadway has already been repaved.

The city has received some pushback from residents and businesses who express concern about the year-long construction project obstructing roadways, and the reduction of car lanes increasing traffic density in an already busy area. Lawn signs protesting the "road diet" have been a visible presence in local neighborhoods.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/transportation/woodward-avenue-road-diet-construction-will-add-bike-lanes

I've never been to this area, but this seems like a no-brainer on the surface. I appreciate it when bike/pedestrian infrastructure is added to under-capacity roads.

I have to laugh, though, this has got to be one of the only cases in history where there's a six-lane road left after a road diet takes place.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.