News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on July 18, 2023, 02:44:54 PM
Quote from: GaryV on July 18, 2023, 10:32:11 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 18, 2023, 06:52:17 AM
Quote from: GaryV on July 18, 2023, 06:00:05 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2023, 11:13:10 PM
I-75 SB north of I-696 isn't closed due to the modernization project, right?  Google Maps prevented routing down it earlier today.

Not fully closed; 2 lanes are open. But traffic backs up a lot, so Google might have had you avoid it.
I couldn't even force the directions onto I-75 through a via point, though.  Just another case of Google Maps sucking.

Thanks for confirming.
Another thought on this. Google wouldn't give me directions for getting on SB I-75 at 9 Mile / John R. The SB service drive is open to the entrance ramp, but closed after that. I'm guessing Google wasn't given or couldn't pull the correct closure spot. There may have been something similar in the mainline routing you were attempting.

And from time to time, various sections of metro Detroit freeway construction projects are closed completely for weekends. Part of I-696 will be closed this coming weekend.

I was playing around with directions from way northwest -- Waterford, MI to downtown Detroit.  Google was and still is making me get off of I-75 north of I-696 nonetheless.

Yup, it's messed up. You don't have to get off at 14 Mile.

JREwing78

Updated Google Street View images of a significant portion of what used-to-be and is-now-again M-30 between M-20 and M-46 got posted recently, with a date stamp of July 2023. Conspicuous in their absence are any reassurance signs indicating its status as a state highway.

@ M-46 - https://goo.gl/maps/cvXiFbrdFg9o5Ldz8

@ Frost Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/2hnbTBQbdK6NsmGy6

@ Dice Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/m4wTCJ8JaHTdQ2AE7

@ Redstone Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/kXSePuCDhq9yiywHA
Notice the center rumble strips start just north of the intersection here. They were not present in earlier Street View images. Is this MDOT working to bring M-30 up to state highway standards?

@ Tittawabassee Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/6fUgbKWKqyn5m4Bg8

@ E Laporte Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/q9pcwfA7eFQcqJ9bA
This is where the updated Street View imagery ends; it appears the Street View car traveled west on E Laporte Rd, then traveled south on M-30.

Flint1979

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 20, 2023, 09:33:57 PM
Updated Google Street View images of a significant portion of what used-to-be and is-now-again M-30 between M-20 and M-46 got posted recently, with a date stamp of July 2023. Conspicuous in their absence are any reassurance signs indicating its status as a state highway.

@ M-46 - https://goo.gl/maps/cvXiFbrdFg9o5Ldz8

@ Frost Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/2hnbTBQbdK6NsmGy6

@ Dice Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/m4wTCJ8JaHTdQ2AE7

@ Redstone Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/kXSePuCDhq9yiywHA
Notice the center rumble strips start just north of the intersection here. They were not present in earlier Street View images. Is this MDOT working to bring M-30 up to state highway standards?

@ Tittawabassee Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/6fUgbKWKqyn5m4Bg8

@ E Laporte Rd - https://goo.gl/maps/q9pcwfA7eFQcqJ9bA
This is where the updated Street View imagery ends; it appears the Street View car traveled west on E Laporte Rd, then traveled south on M-30.
I live near there and no they haven't done anything really.

wanderer2575

From today's Detroit Free PressS.S. Badger ferry carrying traffic across Lake Michigan suspends service

LUDINGTON, Mich. – A ferry carrying traffic across Lake Michigan suspended trips indefinitely on Friday after a mechanical failure of its ramping system.

Lake Michigan Carferry, which owns and operates the S.S. Badger from Ludington, Michigan, to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, said it has "engaged a quick-response team of Great Lakes partners to repair the issue as quickly and safely as possible.  They are at work now assessing the situation."

Ticketed passengers can call 1-800-841-4243 for a refund or to change a reservation.

thenetwork

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 22, 2023, 08:55:37 AM
From today's Detroit Free PressS.S. Badger ferry carrying traffic across Lake Michigan suspends service

LUDINGTON, Mich. – A ferry carrying traffic across Lake Michigan suspended trips indefinitely on Friday after a mechanical failure of its ramping system.

Lake Michigan Carferry, which owns and operates the S.S. Badger from Ludington, Michigan, to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, said it has "engaged a quick-response team of Great Lakes partners to repair the issue as quickly and safely as possible.  They are at work now assessing the situation."

Ticketed passengers can call 1-800-841-4243 for a refund or to change a reservation.

In other words, US-10 is CLOSED between Ludington and Manitowoc. ;-)

JREwing78

I wonder at which point the owners decide to replace/supplement the SS Badger. Reportedly the SS Spartan (the twin of the Badger) is in no condition to be put back into service - and the EPA would not allow the coal-burning boilers to make a comeback.

Interlake Maritime Services (current parent company) appears to have the financial wherewithal to repair or replace the SS Badger should it become necessary. But the fact that they haven't made substantive changes to the SS Badger (still runs on coal) or lined up a suitable sister or alternative ship to the Badger tells me that they don't want to make that kind of investment on the route.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JREwing78 on July 24, 2023, 03:04:08 AM
I wonder at which point the owners decide to replace/supplement the SS Badger. Reportedly the SS Spartan (the twin of the Badger) is in no condition to be put back into service - and the EPA would not allow the coal-burning boilers to make a comeback.

Interlake Maritime Services (current parent company) appears to have the financial wherewithal to repair or replace the SS Badger should it become necessary. But the fact that they haven't made substantive changes to the SS Badger (still runs on coal) or lined up a suitable sister or alternative ship to the Badger tells me that they don't want to make that kind of investment on the route.

Glad I got to ride it once before it went away.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure the S.S. Badger will reopen at some point, although the vessel used will probably be replaced before it reopens.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 24, 2023, 10:33:20 AM
I'm sure the S.S. Badger will reopen at some point, although the vessel used will probably be replaced before it reopens.

I think they will probably just fix the "ramping system" and be back in service. I really doubt they will ever be able to afford a complete replacement of the Badger given the costs involved.

Flint1979

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 24, 2023, 07:08:58 AM

It'll be back. They aren't sure on when though.

Flint1979

That thing is about 70 years old. I'm wondering how easy it is to get parts for that.

wanderer2575

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 24, 2023, 10:38:22 AM

I think they will probably just fix the "ramping system" and be back in service. I really doubt they will ever be able to afford a complete replacement of the Badger given the costs involved.

Plus it really wasn't all that long ago that they made a sizable investment to install the equipment needed to comply with EPA regulations.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 24, 2023, 11:15:35 AM
That thing is about 70 years old. I'm wondering how easy it is to get parts for that.

If it's the right parts, they're sitting at the dock, on the Spartan.

But once a unique critical part has to be replaced a second time, it gets more complicated. I'm sure some parts are custom made.

wanderer2575

Beginning 10/01/2023, the Mackinac Bridge will no longer accept Canadian cash for the tolls.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/07/25/canadian-cash-mackinac-bridge-authority/70463760007/

plain

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 25, 2023, 11:22:17 PM
Beginning 10/01/2023, the Mackinac Bridge will no longer accept Canadian cash for the tolls.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/07/25/canadian-cash-mackinac-bridge-authority/70463760007/

When I first saw the headline I was like WTF! Then I read the article and now I completely understand why. That's a hell of a process after accepting the Canadian cash.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Rothman

Quote from: plain on July 26, 2023, 12:06:25 AM

When I first saw the headline I was like WTF! Then I read the article and now I completely understand why. That's a hell of a process after accepting the Canadian cash.
True Americans should never accept cash with the British Monarch on it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

That's fine. I never have any Canadian cash on me anyway.

dvferyance

Quote from: Rothman on July 26, 2023, 07:06:28 AM
Quote from: plain on July 26, 2023, 12:06:25 AM

True Americans should never accept cash with the British Monarch on it.
Are they keeping the Queen on their money even though she has passed on?

The Ghostbuster

I have $3.76 in Canadian coins, as well as a $5 bill I found on the streets of Toronto in 1998. As I haven't been to Canada in 20 years, I don't expect any of my Canadian money to be spent any time soon.

afguy

MDOT has rescheduled the public house meeting for the CAV lane to August 15th. From the press release they finally provided a bit more detail on the set up of this lane. It will use of the existing lanes along I-94. I'm not sure that I like this set up of mixing automated and manual traffic.

QuoteThe proposed CAV corridor project is a partnership between Cavnue and MDOT and envisions repurposing an existing travel lane into a technology-enabled express lane along each direction of I-94 between Ann Arbor and Detroit that will accommodate a mix of traditional personal vehicles, CAVs, transit, and shared mobility services. The proposed project will involve installing technology to enhance safety and efficiency for all users of the corridor. A public outreach process is underway pursuant to the requirements under the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 to identify potential project impacts.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/news-outreach/pressreleases/2023/08/01/mdot-public-open-house-aug-15-to-discuss-proposed-cav-lane-along-i-94

jzn110

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 24, 2023, 11:14:26 AM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 24, 2023, 07:08:58 AM

It'll be back. They aren't sure on when though.

The Badger itself is just fine. Their loading ramp in Ludington - which is attached to the shore, not the boat - has two large counterweight structures on either side of it, and one of those counterweights collapsed into the water after the underwater pilings gave out. Those structures are well over 100 years old, so it's not entirely surprising.

They announced yesterday that the Badger was shutting down for the rest of the season after underwater surveying and engineering determined that it wasn't going to be a quick fix to repair the collapsed tower. I believe Interlake intends on rebuilding the pilings for both counterweight towers to ensure that they're both structurally sound, and to have everything ready in time for the start of the Badger's season next May.

JREwing78

Quote from: jzn110 on August 02, 2023, 12:48:57 PM
They announced yesterday that the Badger was shutting down for the rest of the season after underwater surveying and engineering determined that it wasn't going to be a quick fix to repair the collapsed tower. I believe Interlake intends on rebuilding the pilings for both counterweight towers to ensure that they're both structurally sound, and to have everything ready in time for the start of the Badger's season next May.

That makes sense and explains the extended outage. I'm also going to guess that other ports like Frankfort or Manistee are out of the question because they don't have this ramp system needed to work with the S.S. Badger.

In the meantime, might be worth taking a trip to Ludington or Manitowoc to give a hand to the folks who are being affected by the early shutdown of the S.S. Badger.

GaryV

More detail on the Badger shutdown and the Ludington dock: https://boatnerd.com/boatnerd-news-august-2-2023/

afguy

MLive had a great article on the proposed automated lane project along I-94 today. The project will stretch from Ann Arbor-Saline Rd to the Lodge Freeway using the existing far left lane. The lane would have barriers set up to separate it from the existing lanes and entry points would be designated. If a future phase as automated cars become more common, a lane would be built exclusively for them using private funds.

I-94 could host self-driving vehicle lanes between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Here's how to learn more

QuoteWhen fully complete, it would stretch from Ann Arbor-Saline Road in Ann Arbor to M-10, the Lodge Freeway, in Detroit, officials said.

MDOT previously announced open houses in the Ann Arbor area in March for the project but then postponed them, saying officials and Cavnue needed "further alignment"  on an environmental study necessary for the project before presenting it to the public. The Belleville event is meant to discuss the environmental study, and more meetings are anticipated at different points along the proposed corridor in Wayne and Washtenaw counties in 2023, MDOT officials said.

The Ann Arbor meetings haven't yet been rescheduled, though MDOT anticipates hosting an open house in Washtenaw County sometime this year, spokesperson Rob Morosi said in an email.

Officials have said the project would involve designated I-94 lanes with equipment for autonomous vehicles and smart technology, including sensors to detect traffic, weather and road conditions, while allowing driverless vehicles to communicate with each other.

"At its core, the project is designed to be "˜future-proofed' and evolve to meet transportation goals, beginning with connected buses and shared mobility vehicles such as vans and shuttles, and expanding to additional types of (connected and automated vehicles) such as freight and personal vehicles,"  reads a project description on MDOT's website. The lanes will likely be physically separated from the rest of the highway, accessible only at certain points. At the start of the project, all vehicles will be able to use them, but as self-driving vehicles become more common and their usage exceeds a certain threshold, the lanes may be restricted to only the high-tech vehicles, according to a question and answer page for the project.

Construction will bring improved pavement and updated striping on the far-left lane of I-94 in both directions, as well as new poles to support camera and sensor equipment installed along the median and new signs to identify lane entrances and exits, according to MDOT.

The building of the specialized lanes is expected to be privately funded, the agency says. They would be built in three phases, with the first stretching from U.S. 23 in the west to Oakwood Boulevard in the east.
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2023/08/i-94-could-host-self-driving-vehicle-lanes-between-ann-arbor-and-detroit-heres-how-to-learn-more.html

Rothman

Quote from: afguy on August 02, 2023, 03:08:52 PM
MLive had a great article on the proposed automated lane project along I-94 today. The project will stretch from Ann Arbor-Saline Rd to the Lodge Freeway using the existing far left lane. The lane would have barriers set up to separate it from the existing lanes and entry points would be designated. If a future phase as automated cars become more common, a lane would be built exclusively for them using private funds.

I-94 could host self-driving vehicle lanes between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Here's how to learn more

QuoteWhen fully complete, it would stretch from Ann Arbor-Saline Road in Ann Arbor to M-10, the Lodge Freeway, in Detroit, officials said.

MDOT previously announced open houses in the Ann Arbor area in March for the project but then postponed them, saying officials and Cavnue needed "further alignment"  on an environmental study necessary for the project before presenting it to the public. The Belleville event is meant to discuss the environmental study, and more meetings are anticipated at different points along the proposed corridor in Wayne and Washtenaw counties in 2023, MDOT officials said.

The Ann Arbor meetings haven't yet been rescheduled, though MDOT anticipates hosting an open house in Washtenaw County sometime this year, spokesperson Rob Morosi said in an email.

Officials have said the project would involve designated I-94 lanes with equipment for autonomous vehicles and smart technology, including sensors to detect traffic, weather and road conditions, while allowing driverless vehicles to communicate with each other.

"At its core, the project is designed to be 'future-proofed' and evolve to meet transportation goals, beginning with connected buses and shared mobility vehicles such as vans and shuttles, and expanding to additional types of (connected and automated vehicles) such as freight and personal vehicles,"  reads a project description on MDOT's website. The lanes will likely be physically separated from the rest of the highway, accessible only at certain points. At the start of the project, all vehicles will be able to use them, but as self-driving vehicles become more common and their usage exceeds a certain threshold, the lanes may be restricted to only the high-tech vehicles, according to a question and answer page for the project.

Construction will bring improved pavement and updated striping on the far-left lane of I-94 in both directions, as well as new poles to support camera and sensor equipment installed along the median and new signs to identify lane entrances and exits, according to MDOT.

The building of the specialized lanes is expected to be privately funded, the agency says. They would be built in three phases, with the first stretching from U.S. 23 in the west to Oakwood Boulevard in the east.
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2023/08/i-94-could-host-self-driving-vehicle-lanes-between-ann-arbor-and-detroit-heres-how-to-learn-more.html

A private lane built with private funds...

Brings to mind: "You are an old man who thinks in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations. There are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There are no third worlds. There is no West. There is only one holistic system of systems, one vast and immane, interwoven, interacting, multivariate, multinational dominion of dollars. Petro-dollars, electro-dollars, multi-dollars, reichmarks, rins, rubles, pounds, and shekels. It is the international system of currency which determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic and subatomic and galactic structure of things today!"
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.