News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

MDOT has the draft 2024-2028 5-year plan available. Overall I'm really not impressed with anything. Most of the big projects were previously announced such as the I-375 removal, the US-23 project in Ann Arbor and construction starting on the I-94 modernization project.
https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/-/media/Project/Websites/MDOT/Programs/Planning/Five-Year-Transportation-Program/2024-2028-5YTP.pdf?rev=07a2ce289a334c369c97b882571db81e&hash=5D9F1B7C0A729F51E6FD32E36D6DD209

Flint1979

There is about a 7 mile traffic jam on I-96 right now east of Lansing, the eastbound traffic is backed up from Williamston Road to Okemos Road.

EDIT: Williamston Road not M-52.

afguy

MDOT has created a page for the proposed infrastructure improvements that will be taking place along I-94, I-69 and M-96 to make way for Ford's battery plant in Marshall. Below are the main improvements that will be made:

- Diverging Diamond Interchange at I-69/M-96 (Michigan Avenue)

- 3 lane boulevard (3x3) with indirect left turns along M-96 (Michigan Avenue) between
site entry at C Drive North and I-69 interchange

- Reroute of M-96 just west of 15 Mile Road (North leg) to accommodate direct access
into the Marshall Mega site for trucks and passenger vehicles

- Direct access off C Drive North

- Improvements at adjacent local roadway intersections to handle inbound/outbound
traffic

- Widening of I-69 to 3-lanes between I-94 and M-96

- System interchange improvements at I-69 and I-94 including widening the EB I-94 to SB
I-69; NB I-69 to EB I-69 and build a fly-over ramp for NB I-69 to WB I-94.

- 2 lane boulevard (2x2) with indirect left turns along M-96 (Michigan Avenue) between
M-311/11 Mile Rd and M-96/Main Entrance to site.

- Pedestrian enhancements along M-96 (Michigan Avenue)

- Diverging Diamond Interchange at I-94/M-96 (Michigan Avenue)/M-311 (11 Mile Road)
o Combination of 11 Mile Road and M-96 (Michigan Avenue) over I-94

3 lane boulevard with indirect left turns along M-96 (Michigan Avenue)/11 Mile Road
between I-94 interchange and M-96 east leg connection

- Widening of 11 Mile Road (2x2 lanes)

- Widening of I-94 to 3-lanes (in each direction) between M-311 and I-69 with median
barrier. MDOT is anticipating a subsequent separate future widening to 3-lanes (in each
direction) from Calhoun County Line to M-311 when Sackrider site is developed

- Wheatfield connection to existing truck stop facilities along 11 Mile Road

- Verona at 11 Mile Road: Dual northbound left-turn lane

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/projects-studies/studies/additional-studies/marshall-modernization

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/-/media/Project/Websites/MDOT/Projects-Studies/Studies/Additional-Studies/Marshall-Modernization/Marshall-Traffic-Impact-Study.pdf?rev=a088b322237c45f5b469e0cf67e1971e&hash=420F987B7BB04F83849FDECA200E3BDC

JREwing78

Holy s***! There's going to be some massive changes in this area in a few short years!

- 27 miles of 4 lane -> 6-lane freeway upgrades
- A *flyover* ramp from NBD I-69 to I-94
- Complete rebuild of the I-94 interchange at M-96 (Michigan Ave)
- A 4-lane divided boulevard along M-96 (Michigan Ave) and M-311 (11 Mile Rd)

I also suspect with the additional traffic volume anticipated that it won't take long for MDOT to scrape together funding to extend the 6-laning eastward from Sprinkle Rd (Exit 80) in Kalamazoo. Current traffic counts are already well into the upper end of viability for a 4-lane freeway, and between Sprinkle Rd and 40th St (exit 88 east of Galesburg) requires a ground-up rebuild.

The I-94 segment between Sprinkle Rd and 40th St is early 1950's spec US-12 4-lane, designed and built prior to the Interstate highway system on a narrow 200' (if that) right-of-way. While the segments eastward towards and through Battle Creek were only built a handful of years later, the design spec is dramatically different - a 300' ROW and ample space for a third travel lane each way without touching the overpasses.

I was picturing a time frame for a full 6-laning of I-94 between US-131 and I-69 in the 2050-2060 range prior to this battery plant development. But with these developments, there's going to be pressure on MDOT to uncork I-94 in Kalamazoo County a lot quicker than that. 2035 seems awfully soon given the constraints of MDOT funding, but 2040 is certainly possible.

Flint1979

Can't see all the cars but southbound I-75 is a slow go across the Zilwaukee Bridge on a very dreary day around the middle of Michigan.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on August 06, 2023, 01:44:26 PM
southbound I-75 is a slow go across the Zilwaukee Bridge
They're all preparing for the closure in Oakland County.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/traffic/2023/07/27/i-75-closure-planned-for-next-weekend-in-oakland-county-what-drivers-should-know/

(Week old story, but it's relevant)

wanderer2575

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 04, 2023, 09:21:09 PM
Holy s***! There's going to be some massive changes in this area in a few short years!

- 27 miles of 4 lane -> 6-lane freeway upgrades
- A *flyover* ramp from NBD I-69 to I-94
- Complete rebuild of the I-94 interchange at M-96 (Michigan Ave)
- A 4-lane divided boulevard along M-96 (Michigan Ave) and M-311 (11 Mile Rd)

According to the Mi.gov/drive traffic map, the existing loop ramp from nbd I-69 to wbd I-94 is scheduled to close this Friday through September 1st for reconstruction.  I wonder if MDOT is putting a halt on that.  I don't know whether the two slip ramps to and from ebd I-94 have yet been reconstructed, but if so I'm thinking they will be torn out and rebuilt again.  Tacking on an additional lane to existing pavement around a curve doesn't sound like a good idea.

afguy

Construction started today on the pilot project for the CAV lanes on I-94. The three-mile pilot section will stretch from Haggerty to Rawsonville Road. Construction is expected to be complete by November.

Work begins on pilot project to build 'world’s most sophisticated roadway' in Wayne County

QuoteA 3-mile stretch of the left lane of westbound I-94 from Haggerty to Rawsonville roads will be equipped with digital infrastructure, including an underground electrical conduit, to support CAV, or connected and automated vehicles. The shoulder on I-94 will be closed until early September while work is done.

"This pilot is the first-of-its-kind in the U.S. and will upgrade a portion of I-94 from Belleville to Rawsonville roads with technology to improve safety and operations by utilizing digital infrastructure," said Michelle Mueller, the senior project manger for connected and automated vehicles at Michigan Department of Transportation. "The pilot will allow us to document lessons learned, benefits, and evaluate potential business models for future deployment opportunities." Unveiled in 2020, the pilot project on I-94 aims to improve safety, congestion, and accessibility, according to state transportation officials. MDOT is partnering with Cavnue, a Washington D.C.-based technology firm that develops and integrates technologies for roadways, on the pilot. After September, crews will close the left lane in the area of I-94 to widen the roadway and resurface the road. Any closures with multiple lanes will be restricted to off-peak travel times, according to MDOT. This should be done by late November.

Eventually, existing left lanes on I-94 in each direction will be converted to support CAV use between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Described by Cavnue as "future-proof," it will have connected buses and shared mobility vehicles such as vans and shuttles before it expands to freight and personal vehicles.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/08/07/mdot-begins-pilot-project-on-connected-automated-vehicle-lane-in-wayne-county/70540898007/

wanderer2575

^  Oh, this should be interesting.  Let's physically separate a single lane on the left (no passing) with remaining traffic in two lanes on the right.  What could possibly go wrong with traffic flow?  Also, would be great to know how exit from/entrance to the left lane will be handled.

Flint1979

Why don't they just widen the damn highways and be done with it? MDOT is doing all these stupid things like the flex lanes on US-23 and now this?

The Ghostbuster

I am not thrilled with the idea of flex lanes (although the Madison Beltline flex lanes could be an exception), since I think the shoulders of a highway should be used for emergency stops only. My question to Flint1979 is do you oppose the concept of flex lanes in general, or do you just oppose flex lanes on US 23? I would agree that 23 probably should get additional lanes, if need be, but the DOT has the final authority on that. As for the Interstate 94 pilot project, I would have preferred that the lane pictured be used as an express lane and do the pilot project on an uncongested rural roadway.

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 08, 2023, 12:20:32 PM
I am not thrilled with the idea of flex lanes (although the Madison Beltline flex lanes could be an exception), since I think the shoulders of a highway should be used for emergency stops only. My question to Flint1979 is do you oppose the concept of flex lanes in general, or do you just oppose flex lanes on US 23? I would agree that 23 probably should get additional lanes, if need be, but the DOT has the final authority on that. As for the Interstate 94 pilot project, I would have preferred that the lane pictured be used as an express lane and do the pilot project on an uncongested rural roadway.
I think flex lanes are stupid in general, I just don't get why there is a lane there and it's not used 24 hours a day. As far as US-23 goes, that highway was part of my headache today along with I-96, I-275 and I-94. I-94 was so backed up that I had to get off it at the Southfield coming from Metro to downtown earlier and take the Southfield to I-75. But anyway yeah I would prefer at least 3 lanes in each direction for the entire 90 mile stretch of US-23 between Flint and the Ohio state line. I can usually knock it out in a little over an hour but it is stressful at times especially the part between Ann Arbor and I-96.

Flint1979

Yesterday during the peak of Detroit's afternoon rush hour Dearborn police discovered the body of a deceased woman on the Southfield Freeway just after the Ford Road exit.

afguy

I got this email today in regard to the status of the M-3 PEL study in Detroit:

QuoteThis project is now underway and engagement with stakeholders has begun. We are now planning our first public meeting in early September at Eastern Market (date and shed are not yet confirmed). At this meeting we plan to discuss the project, what issues residents are seeing along the corridor, begin discussing a draft purpose and need statement for the project, and to start talking about solutions for Gratiot.

I have feeling MDOT is going to have Gratiot look similar to what they are planning for Michigan Ave in Corktown.

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: afguy on August 04, 2023, 06:15:02 PM
MDOT has created a page for the proposed infrastructure improvements that will be taking place along I-94, I-69 and M-96 to make way for Ford's battery plant in Marshall. Below are the main improvements that will be made:

I'm glad Ford is siting the battery plant in Marshall, because that area needs an economic boost. Some of my friends went to Albion College, and they say the town of Albion has been dying for years, and there's speculation that the college itself may close within 5 years because of enrollment declines and mismanagement.

JREwing78

MLive posted a 5-day time lapse video from MDOT of the replacement of the railroad overpass over Jackson St. in Jackson.

afguy

Close some Ann Arbor M-14 ramps, build $41M double roundabout, MDOT study recommends

QuoteA new Michigan Department of Transportation study recommends shuttering Ann Arbor M-14 ramps in an area near the Huron River bridge long marred by safety concerns, then later pursing a $41-million reconfiguration involving a dual roundabout system.

The Barton Drive on- and off-ramps to eastbound M-14 should be closed in the short-term with the long-term solution coming through the costly overhaul that would place a roundabout on Whitmore Lake Road and two on either side of the highway in a "dog bone"  formation, the study advises. Those options, chosen from a menu of potential changes at the Barton Drive interchange marked by a history of crashes, are now open for public feedback. As of Wednesday, Aug. 23, people can visit m14-bartonpel.com to participate. The comment period is open through Friday, Sept. 8. The MDOT planning and environmental linkages study was commissioned after Ann Arbor leaders asked the agency to look at ways to boost safety and prevent truck crashes on the Huron River bridge, following the 2019 death of a trucker and a string of incidents including a diesel spill into the river.

But now that it's complete, the study is already generating pushback.

The most vocal opposition is coming from Barton Hills Village, an upscale hamlet of about 140 homes on the north side of the river, with an entrance directly across from the Barton Drive interchange.

Access to the ramps is "pivotal"  for Barton Hills, said village Treasurer Carla Smith, a member of the community's board of trustees who has also served on a MDOT advisory group around safety on the section of highway.
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2023/08/close-some-ann-arbor-m-14-ramps-build-41m-double-roundabout-mdot-study-recommends.html

Ellie

Quote from: afguy on August 24, 2023, 03:16:48 PM
Close some Ann Arbor M-14 ramps, build $41M double roundabout, MDOT study recommends

QuoteA new Michigan Department of Transportation study recommends shuttering Ann Arbor M-14 ramps in an area near the Huron River bridge long marred by safety concerns, then later pursing a $41-million reconfiguration involving a dual roundabout system.

The Barton Drive on- and off-ramps to eastbound M-14 should be closed in the short-term with the long-term solution coming through the costly overhaul that would place a roundabout on Whitmore Lake Road and two on either side of the highway in a "dog bone"  formation, the study advises. Those options, chosen from a menu of potential changes at the Barton Drive interchange marked by a history of crashes, are now open for public feedback. As of Wednesday, Aug. 23, people can visit m14-bartonpel.com to participate. The comment period is open through Friday, Sept. 8. The MDOT planning and environmental linkages study was commissioned after Ann Arbor leaders asked the agency to look at ways to boost safety and prevent truck crashes on the Huron River bridge, following the 2019 death of a trucker and a string of incidents including a diesel spill into the river.

But now that it's complete, the study is already generating pushback.

The most vocal opposition is coming from Barton Hills Village, an upscale hamlet of about 140 homes on the north side of the river, with an entrance directly across from the Barton Drive interchange.

Access to the ramps is "pivotal"  for Barton Hills, said village Treasurer Carla Smith, a member of the community's board of trustees who has also served on a MDOT advisory group around safety on the section of highway.
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/2023/08/close-some-ann-arbor-m-14-ramps-build-41m-double-roundabout-mdot-study-recommends.html

Ugh. Having lived near this interchange, this re-do definitely needs to happen, but I don't agree with closing the interchange before we can rebuild it. It's not *that* hard to use safely.

afguy

I'm curious to learn more about the U.S. 131 project. I'm wondering why MDOT is only adding lanes southbound between Post Drive and I-96 and not on the northbound side.
More lanes on U.S. 131, bridge repairs: MDOT reveals proposed projects in 5-year plan

QuoteAmong the many projects planned for Kent County are bridge replacements and repairs, rehabilitating numerous roads, and other road maintenance.

One notable proposed project on the horizon is the transformation of the Fruit Ridge Avenue bridge over I-96 in Walker.

The bridge is going to be torn down and rebuilt. It will be upgraded from two lanes to five lanes to help with the increase of traffic in the area over the years. Construction is expected to start in 2024 and wrap up in 2026, according to the draft.Elsewhere, transportation officials want to do major widening on about three miles of M-37 from 92nd Street to 76th Street.

The project is expected to start the bidding process in 2024 with construction happening in a two-year phase from 2025-26. The draft does not include how much the road will be widened.

Another major project — planned much further down the road — is to add lanes to roughly six miles of southbound U.S. 131 near 6 Mile Road. There are few details surrounding this project, however, construction isn't planned until 2027.
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2023/08/more-lanes-on-us-131-bridge-repairs-mdot-reveals-proposed-projects-in-5-year-plan.html

The Ghostbuster

Why does Interstate 96 just west of Exit 26 have such a wide gap in the median? Surely it could have been constructed with a similar median width as both west of the eastbound rest area and east of Fruit Ridge Ave. NW?

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 30, 2023, 06:31:59 PM
Why does Interstate 96 just west of Exit 26 have such a wide gap in the median? Surely it could have been constructed with a similar median width as both west of the eastbound rest area and east of Fruit Ridge Ave. NW?
It might have to do with the creek that snakes through there otherwise they'd have to build more than one bridge. That's my guess on it.

bessertc

The new M-30 southerly extension from M-20/Isabella Rd west of Midland to M-46/Gratiot Rd—Monroe Rd west of Merrill is now (mostly) signed in the field. An MDOT contact said the Midland Co portion would likely be signed in August, but the "Saginaw Co" portion (technically along the Saginaw/Gratiot Co line, but formerly under the juridiction of Saginaw Co) would likely wait until some necessary "improvements" were completed. Well, they've signed it all the way to M-46 anyway, but yesterday, there were plenty of survey stakes along the highway between M-46 and the Midland Co line, so it's clear something is imminent for that stretch. There are full directional route marker assemblies at the M-46 & M-30 jct as well as the M-20 & M-30 jct, except nothing for northbound M-30 at M-20 yet for some reason. There are about a half dozen M-30 reassurance markers each way between M-46 and M-20.

Eastbound M-46/Monroe Rd approaching M-30/Merdian Rd.

Westbound M-46/Gratiot Rd approaching M-30/Meridian Rd.

First northbound M-30 reassurance marker north of M-46. You can also see the survey stakes alongside the highway in this shot, too.

Westbound M-20/Isabella Rd approaching M-30/Meridian Rd.

Southbound M-30/Meridian Rd approaching M-20/Isabella Rd. You can see how the existing wooden signpost was reused here for the newly expanded route marker assembly.

I've also updated all of the relavant portions of the M-30 Route Listing on the Michigan Highways website.
The M-30 route map is now technically 100% accurate, too!  :D
Drive right. Pass Left. Please!

wanderer2575

^  So no BEGIN tabs on M-46 like there used to be on M-20.

bessertc

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 03, 2023, 09:45:56 PM
^  So no BEGIN tabs on M-46 like there used to be on M-20.

Well, Photo Nos.1 & 2 show the current assemblies at that location and, alas, the rather unique "BEGIN" treatment didn't transfer from the M-20 terminus down to the new M-46 terminus. :-/ But, OTOH, you can see MDOT kept the M-20-using-FHWA-C-while-M-30-uses-FHWA-D situation on the route markers at that intersection. I'm curious to know why you can fit "30" on using FHWA-B but you CANNOT fit "20" on with it? Both have zeros and both have a first digit that are essentially the same width. Curious...
Drive right. Pass Left. Please!

doglover44

just got back from a Trip to Monroe it was a cluster going into Mi what are they doing to the 75 north side ?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.