News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Around Florida in 31 hours?

Started by brianreynolds, November 27, 2012, 08:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: brianreynolds on December 01, 2012, 12:28:47 PM
Segment No. 2, South Bay FL to Newberry FL, via Broward, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Collier, Lee, Charlotte, De Soto, Sarasota, Manatee, Hardee, Polk, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Hernando, Sumpter, Citrus, Marion, Levy, Alachua.  http://goo.gl/maps/PmAFD  20 counties, 535 mi, 10 hours 24 mins
--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Don't mean to be a bit of a spoil-sport, but any lodging plans in the South Bay area are going to be extremely limited and/or questionable (high-crime areas per capita). Don't get me wrong, I don't fear getting out of my car, but it's a very poor town. Newberry is about the same size of town, and probably offers very few lodging facilities, although with far less crime.

brianreynolds

Thanks.  I've been doing some checking, and find much the same.  It looks like I will begin my day an hour or so north into Georgia, thus will be looking to end my day earlier as well.  At this time, I'm looking at Okeechobee.  What I have seen looks favorable.  Any advice?

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on November 27, 2012, 03:52:21 PM
Probably the longest distance I have ever driven on a two-lane highway at speeds in excess of 75 MPH.

what was the speed limit on two-lane I-75?  my guess is 65.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: brianreynolds on December 05, 2012, 10:47:20 PM
Thanks.  I've been doing some checking, and find much the same.  It looks like I will begin my day an hour or so north into Georgia, thus will be looking to end my day earlier as well.  At this time, I'm looking at Okeechobee.  What I have seen looks favorable.  Any advice?

--
Brian Reynolds
Hastings Michigan

Okeechobee is podunk but not as poverty stricken as the towns on the south side of the lake. It's big enough it should have the regular assortment of low-end motels like Best Western, Hampton Inn, etc.

agentsteel53

Quote from: realjd on December 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM

Okeechobee is podunk but not as poverty stricken as the towns on the south side of the lake. It's big enough it should have the regular assortment of low-end motels like Best Western, Hampton Inn, etc.

Hampton Inn is a low-end motel now?  did you have an exceedingly unsatisfactory experience with them?  :-D

(I don't consider them to be high-end compared to other options, especially those available in major cities, but they are certainly one price/service point above stuff like Motel 6, and at least two points above the local no-tell)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 06, 2012, 12:42:26 PM
Quote from: realjd on December 06, 2012, 12:35:31 PM

Hampton Inn is a low-end motel now?  did you have an exceedingly unsatisfactory experience with them?  :-D

(I don't consider them to be high-end compared to other options, especially those available in major cities, but they are certainly one price/service point above stuff like Motel 6, and at least two points above the local no-tell)

They're at the low end of the price and service range of the Hilton chain of hotels. Since I'm not a fan of things like rats or hepatitis, I tend to forget that there are less expensive offerings like Motel 6 available :)

All of my work travel has turned me into a hotel snob. While I've stayed at some perfectly fine low end hotels like Red Roof Inn and LaQuinta, they tend to vary significantly in quality from location-to-location. When you get to the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Fairfield Inn price point, you get much more consistency between locations.

hbelkins

Quote from: realjd on December 08, 2012, 08:26:49 AM
All of my work travel has turned me into a hotel snob. While I've stayed at some perfectly fine low end hotels like Red Roof Inn and LaQuinta, they tend to vary significantly in quality from location-to-location. When you get to the Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, and Fairfield Inn price point, you get much more consistency between locations.

Even those three are too pricey for me unless I can get a great discount somehow. I prefer Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Days Inn or Super 8 when I can get them.

Use TripAdvisor to get a decent idea of what the place is like, although I think a lot of reviews there are written by hotel snobs. I've seen some terrible reviews of places that were perfectly acceptable to me.

But I digress from the main topic of this thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.