News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Winston Salem to Rockingham NC

Started by monty, March 21, 2013, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

I will be travelling this route to Myrtle Beach. Usually I enter into Winston Salem on US 52, take Green Shield I 40 E to  Blue Shield I 40 (Greensboro area) to US 220 S. 

The route choices have been greatly improved over the years, but what's the best option? 

Sometimes Saturday beach traffic jams terribly in this area in the summer from Myrtle Beach all the way up I 77 to Charleston WV.
monty

dfilpus

At least, take I 73 from I 40 to US 220 (in transition from Future to I 73) in Greensboro. An alternative is to stay on US 52 to Green 40 in Winston and take US 311 (in transition to I 74) to US 220 (in transition to I 73/74). The last few miles of the I 74 freeway coming up to US 220 is still under construction. It is supposed to be complete in April. Before then, that route has seven miles of two lane US 311 to bridge the gap.

monty

Thanks dfilpus.  Is the 2 lane US 311 marked well and / or have a lot of stoplights / traffic?  I may give that a try.
monty

OracleUsr

Yeah, it is.  Just drove that stretch Sunday afternoon.  You can actually see the advance signs on the soon-to-be finished I-74 approaching 73/220. 
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

dfilpus

Traffic on US 311 can vary enormously. There is usually some truck traffic during the day. On weekends, there are a couple of flea markets which can cause congestion right around them. US 311 crosses the new I 74 freeway, so you can see some of the new freeway and its signage.

monty

Made the trip using US 311. A nice drive and fun to see the new I 73. Looks like it will be open soon all the war to US 220. I've been making the trip to Myrtle Beach for 20 years and its amazing how much the route has improved beginning with US 35 in Ohio and W Virginia and ending on SR 22 in SC. I 73 whittles off a few more miles and minutes from my trip.
monty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.