News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Looks like the Cubs will lose more of their World Series stars, and I wouldn't be surprised given their usual bad luck of late. Back to status quo, I guess...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

I guess the White Sox are up and down. Right now they are on a 3 game winning streak and they are in Baltimore so I'm hoping their bats can tee off on Orioles pitching. Last time I saw them play was on Sunday in Detroit and they didn't look good that day or Saturday but won the Friday game. Lance Lynn won the only game of that series and both Keuchel and Giolito pitched like shit because they scored enough runs off Tigers pitching to win those two games.

Henry

On to Denver for the All-Star break, and I guess all eyes will be on Shohei Ohtani, who will be the first player ever to bat and pitch in an ASG, which is something not even the great Babe Ruth had done.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Not even going to watch the ASG. For one thing relocating it was for reasons that MLB has no business involving themselves in and for another thing it's a boring exhibition game that means nothing. I'm sure the players would just rather have the four days off I know I would if I was a MLB player. It's a long season and a little break is needed at this point of the season. And I really hated it when Bud Selig made it so the league that won the ASG had HFA in the WS.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Henry on July 12, 2021, 10:58:44 AM
On to Denver for the All-Star break, and I guess all eyes will be on Shohei Ohtani, who will be the first player ever to bat and pitch in an ASG, which is something not even the great Babe Ruth had done.

The first All Star Game was in 1933, and Ruth only pitched in 5 games after joining the Yankees in 1920.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

NWI_Irish96

He shouldn't pitch in the game. He shouldn't even be listed as a pitcher. He's not an all-star caliber pitcher. He's only made 13 starts and has a 3.49 ERA. Good, but not All-Star quality.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 12, 2021, 12:53:12 PM

He shouldn't pitch in the game. He shouldn't even be listed as a pitcher. He's not an all-star caliber pitcher. He's only made 13 starts and has a 3.49 ERA. Good, but not All-Star quality.
The thing that gets me is he's 109th in innings pitched which says he doesn't pitch enough to be considered a pitcher for the All-Star team. I feel the only reason he was selected is because of his 33 home runs. Nothing else really stands out about the guy. The Angels are without Trout and don't have that good of a lineup really so I'm surprised pitchers aren't pitching around him more.

Henry

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 12, 2021, 02:49:40 PM

The thing that gets me is he's 109th in innings pitched which says he doesn't pitch enough to be considered a pitcher for the All-Star team. I feel the only reason he was selected is because of his 33 home runs. Nothing else really stands out about the guy. The Angels are without Trout and don't have that good of a lineup really so I'm surprised pitchers aren't pitching around him more.
Maybe he shouldn't have pitched, but he did get the win for the AL, who took its eighth matchup in a row.

triplemultiplex

Damn, I forgot about the All Star Game.  :banghead:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheHighwayMan3561

The All-Star game is supposed to be fun. It's not the World Series. A guy that has both hit 33 home runs *in half a season* and is a more-than-competent pitcher is amazing and it's something people want to watch because it's something they have never seen in MLB, including his peers in the game who want to see him in action too.

When he came into MLB with the demand that whoever signed him needed to allow him to be able to both pitch and hit as he did in Japan, I expected him to be a 12-15 homer guy and a marginal fifth starter, more of a gimmick than something actually productive and the novelty would wear off.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 15, 2021, 10:42:54 AM

The All-Star game is supposed to be fun. It's not the World Series. A guy that has both hit 33 home runs *in half a season* and is a more-than-competent pitcher is amazing and it's something people want to watch because it's something they have never seen in MLB, including his peers in the game who want to see him in action too.

When he came into MLB with the demand that whoever signed him needed to allow him to be able to both pitch and hit as he did in Japan, I expected him to be a 12-15 homer guy and a marginal fifth starter, more of a gimmick than something actually productive and the novelty would wear off.
The ASG used to be fun but it's not really fun to me anymore. I liked it when I was a kid but I lost interest in the ASG in every sport pretty much now. Even though my team is in the American League they've won like 8 straight now and had a long winning streak before too.

Henry

The Blue Jays are coming back to Toronto in 10 days!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on July 20, 2021, 10:09:39 AM

Pitchers everywhere rejoice!

Hitters everywhere are very sad.

Roadgeekteen

Only 15K fans allowed in is pretty lame.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 20, 2021, 01:09:53 PM
It is what it is.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2021, 03:18:26 PM
It is what it is.
Canada sure is stricter.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 20, 2021, 03:57:02 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2021, 03:18:26 PM
It is what it is.
Canada sure is stricter.
We'd still have 80% of the state's shut down if they had the same strictness here.

Alps

That's a lot more than I'd expect for Canada. But here we go with reopening.

kevinb1994

Well, it looks like the A's are gonna head east. Just exactly where is up in the air (pun intended), of course. I can see them touring the Music City.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 03:10:22 AM
Well, it looks like the A's are gonna head east. Just exactly where is up in the air (pun intended), of course. I can see them touring the Music City.

I think it will very likely be Las Vegas. They want a team, they can support a team, and it's not close enough to another team to draw an objection.

Seattle would not like a team moving to Portland
I'd love to see Montreal but they don't seem to really want a team
I don't think Nashville can support a team plus the Braves and Cardinals both have strong followings there.

kevinb1994

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 21, 2021, 07:25:03 AM

I think it will very likely be Las Vegas. They want a team, they can support a team, and it's not close enough to another team to draw an objection.

I don't think Nashville can support a team plus the Braves and Cardinals both have strong followings there.
Yeah Portland's dead in the water apparently. Montreal is spot on. Nashville is a wild card.

Apparently Las Vegas needs to warm up more to having another major league team in town. They don't want to be overwhelmed. Maybe not all the cards are stacked in their favor yet.

wriddle082

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 21, 2021, 07:31:51 AM

Yeah Portland's dead in the water apparently. Montreal is spot on. Nashville is a wild card.

Apparently Las Vegas needs to warm up more to having another major league team in town. They don't want to be overwhelmed. Maybe not all the cards are stacked in their favor yet.

Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte should be considered.  Geographically they are a good distance from Atlanta and DC.  I say they should rebuild Five County Stadium near Zebulon, NC (conveniently located off Future I-587 (US 264).  Make them a major league version of the Carolina Mudcats!

Henry

Not only that, with the Raiders and Golden Knights in town, they'll try to get an NBA team, either through expansion or relocation. If the latter occurs, it'll most likely be in conjunction with the return of the Seattle Supersonics. We'll see about that, though.

Flint1979

Probably Charlotte would be the best case but that mixes in with Braves fans. I thought the Rays would have ended up relocating there though.

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on July 21, 2021, 11:18:26 AM

Not only that, with the Raiders and Golden Knights in town, they'll try to get an NBA team, either through expansion or relocation. If the latter occurs, it'll most likely be in conjunction with the return of the Seattle Supersonics. We'll see about that, though.
Are you sure that Las Vegas is big enough to support both an NHL team and NBA team? I mean their seasons overlap completely almost.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.