News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stan Musial Bridge

Started by roadman65, November 27, 2015, 09:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I figure I would start this thread on about the newest Missouri- Illinois Crossing called the Stan Musial Bridge.

Above is one of a few photos that I have that I took myself last month on a road trip in KS, MO, and IL.  I just posted this one today on my flickr page.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

It's a nice bridge, not sure why they didn't design it wider to have shoulders and that extra lane from day 1 tho.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

froggie

IIRC, the idea was to eventually have a parallel span.

ARMOURERERIC

With this open what are the plans to do a rehab on the Poplar Street Bridge?

Revive 755

Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2015, 08:46:17 AM
IIRC, the idea was to eventually have a parallel span.

That is the plan, though I've heard unofficially that by the time there is serious consideration of adding the companion bridge that a southern crossing between I-255 and the MacArthur Bridges could be reconsidered instead.

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 29, 2015, 11:59:20 AM
With this open what are the plans to do a rehab on the Poplar Street Bridge?

The westbound half of the PSB has supposedly been rehabbed already; I do not know when the eastbound half of the PSB gets rehabbed with an extra EB lane added.

IDOT is also using the Stan Musial Bridge to be able to close the Martin Luther King Jr Bridge for rehab work (which is supposed to reopen in December 2015).

ARMOURERERIC

If/when a second span is added at the Musial Bridge, will it be north or south of the existing structure?

dvferyance

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 07, 2015, 12:37:53 AM
If/when a second span is added at the Musial Bridge, will it be north or south of the existing structure?
Good question but who knows? That's how the bridge should have been when it was built.

Revive 755

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 07, 2015, 12:37:53 AM

To the south - which per MoDOT is the reason the current bridge has no ramps to/from I-44 to the south.

sparker

St. Louis is permanently etched into my cross-country travel agendas due to the massive number of relatives living in the area (both sides of the family).  I will say that the Musial bridge is visually heads above the previous Poplar Street I-70 crossing, which served as the manifested definition of utilitarian -- at best!. Kudos to the design team!  Sometimes a major cross-country Interstate deserves a "signature" bridge; glad to see I-70 joining the club.

NE2

I bet there's already a thread about it.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.