News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 14, 2015, 09:16:10 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 14, 2015, 09:12:20 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 14, 2015, 08:54:10 PM
I-74? I-74 is supposed to go to Cincinnati to meet up with the existing section of I-74. If you mean I-73 last I heard I-73 is supposed to end at I-81 in Roanoke, VA because OH and MI put their parts of hold and WV is building there part as a corridor.

I-74 in Virginia or North Carolina will never be extended to Cincinnati. What gets built in West Virginia will be built as a surface route, and Kentucky already has a perfectly good route linking I-64 to Cincy. It's called the AA Highway. As for WV, the US 35 to OH 32 corridor works pretty well to move traffic from the I-77/Charleston area to Cincy. US 35 is finally going to be completed in WV.
I know at one point KYDOT considering combining the AA Highway upgrade proposals and the I-74 corridor into one road but eitherway I-74 doesn't need to be extended past Cincinnati. It is just fine ending in Cincinnati. Half of the NCDOT I-74 is concurrent with I-73 it seems. There is no point to connect the two segments together. Just finish up surface road projects like US 35 and US 52 in WV.
Which is why it makes absolutely no sense to have two separate I-74s, with one being so far out of place.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Henry on August 17, 2015, 11:35:34 AM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 14, 2015, 09:16:10 PM
I-74? I-74 is supposed to go to Cincinnati to meet up with the existing section of I-74. If you mean I-73 last I heard I-73 is supposed to end at I-81 in Roanoke, VA because OH and MI put their parts of hold and WV is building there part as a corridor.

I-74 in Virginia or North Carolina will never be extended to Cincinnati. What gets built in West Virginia will be built as a surface route, and Kentucky already has a perfectly good route linking I-64 to Cincy. It's called the AA Highway. As for WV, the US 35 to OH 32 corridor works pretty well to move traffic from the I-77/Charleston area to Cincy. US 35 is finally going to be completed in WV.
I know at one point KYDOT considering combining the AA Highway upgrade proposals and the I-74 corridor into one road but eitherway I-74 doesn't need to be extended past Cincinnati. It is just fine ending in Cincinnati. Half of the NCDOT I-74 is concurrent with I-73 it seems. There is no point to connect the two segments together. Just finish up surface road projects like US 35 and US 52 in WV.
Which is why it makes absolutely no sense to have two separate I-74s, with one being so far out of place.

That's why I'll always will support making the NC I-74 into I-79.  At least all you would have to do to connect it to the original I-79 is to add shields along I-77 for it.  And then you don't even have to really do that!

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 17, 2015, 09:22:52 PM
That's why I'll always will support making the NC I-74 into I-79.  At least all you would have to do to connect it to the original I-79 is to add shields along I-77 for it.  And then you don't even have to really do that!
That's a brilliant idea. An I-77/I-79 concurrency isn't even that hard.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Henry

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 17, 2015, 09:28:10 PM
I like having a southern I-79 in place of I-73/I-74 myself! In fact, I remember drawing an I-79 on the atlases from Greensboro to Myrtle Beach along the route that was to become I-73, as well as an I-36 for the Asheville-Charlotte-Wilmington route. Alas, those plans will never be realized now...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

Move your Interstate 74 renumbering to Interstate 79 to Fictional Highways, since it is not going to happen in the non-fictional world. Same with your Interstate 36 proposal.

bob7374

A look through the latest information on NCDOT's Construction Progress Report shows the completion dates for a couple I-73 projects have been moved back. The widening of US 220 north of Greensboro to NC 68 now has a completion date of June 2017, moved from December 2016. This is not a surprise since the project is way behind schedule, just over half is finished when it was scheduled to be nearly 90% done. The delay means that the recently awarded contract for reconstructing the NC 68 intersection into an interchange on the north end of the widening project is now scheduled to be completed first, in May 2017. The design-build contract building the rest of I-73 from the PTI Airport to US 220 would also have been completed first due to this delay, but that project's completion date has also been moved back, from April to October 2017. Work is about 1/3 complete on this project.

jbnati27

That's good news about US35 being completed in WV. The two lane portion can be a little brutal to travel.

I've also used OH32/US23/US52 to get to I-64 at Huntington, WV from Cincy. My connecting point for the AA Highway is US62/68 at Maysville.

jbnati27

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 17, 2015, 09:28:10 PM

I agree. This would put I-79 East of I-77, where it belongs. It's not a problem until later, when it crosses I-95 LOL. At least you wouldn't have I-74 that far South and you wouldn't have the whole US74/I-74 concurrency confusion.

ARMOURERERIC

If the US 19 corridor into Beckley is ever upgraded, the multiplex can be further reduced.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 03, 2015, 07:35:07 PM
If the US 19 corridor into Beckley is ever upgraded, the multiplex can be further reduced.

No way is it ever going to be upgraded.  Too many small roads that have their only connection to that route.  Anyways, now we're getting a tad too close to the fictional part.  So, if you want to continue on the US-19 upgrade to an Interstate, do so in the fictional area. ;)

Strider

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 12, 2015, 09:30:04 AM
The thing is, that I-73/74 will be roads to nowhere for a looooong time, if not forever. Any interstate that doesn't connect to any other = What's the purpose?  :ded:

Wrong. Both interstates are connected to I-40 and I-85 as well as each other for now. If US 52 is being upgraded to interstate status, you can add I-77 due to the I-74 connection. Purpose served. The only issue: extend them into other state. As far as I know, I-73 has a chance to be completed to another state (VA or SC) before I-74 does.

Rothman

At least in NY, the FHWA Division Office is not allowing I-86 sections to be shielded before they are "linked" to other interstates (i.e., isolated sections of "interstate" cannot be shielded as such).

Of course, we're managed by a bunch of people who rarely look outside of the state's borders, so all they'd have to do is point out that southern Texas nonsense with I-2 and the alphabet soup I-69s and say that they're being inconsistent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Strider

Quote from: orulz on August 14, 2015, 10:34:55 AM
Quote from: Henry on August 11, 2015, 12:19:39 PM
Seems to me that NC and TX are the two states most serious about Interstate construction! Even if they're stuck with out-of-place routes that may never connect to their original counterparts in our lifetimes.
The reason for this in NC is two-fold: (1) High gas tax, which means more revenue, and (2) the "equity formula" that until a couple years ago directed much of that revenue towards rural freeway construction, to the detriment of urban areas.

Other stub interstates include I-26. The construction of I-26 over Sams Gap on the North Carolina side really is an engineering marvel: 60mph speed limit, very gradual curves, and SIX LANES through extremely mountainous territory. And 12 years after it opened, it carries something like 9000 cars per day. The Tennessee side was completed earlier but is much curvier, has a 55mph speed limit, and only four lanes wide with no room to widen in a median - and IMO is probably a more appropriate design given the amount of traffic it carries.

Interestingly, I-26 and I-74 both have Columbus, OH as a planned northern terminus, so if I-74 is built as planned, I-26 could connect into it maybe somewhere near Williamson, WV, and travelers could just take I-74 north to Columbus from there.

Correct. I-73 is proposed to begin/end at I-81 for time being (more likely a very long time since other states are putitng their routes on hold). At least it will connect Roanoke with Greensboro. The road makes sense because Martinsville needs a interstate connection (especially now that they have Speedway that is often being used for NASCAR races. You need a interstate connection for that).

CanesFan27

I've been to a race in Martinsville - you don't need an interstate connection for it. Just better parking.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 01:33:30 PM
At least in NY, the FHWA Division Office is not allowing I-86 sections to be shielded before they are "linked" to other interstates (i.e., isolated sections of "interstate" cannot be shielded as such).

Of course, we're managed by a bunch of people who rarely look outside of the state's borders, so all they'd have to do is point out that southern Texas nonsense with I-2 and the alphabet soup I-69s and say that they're being inconsistent.

Yet FHWA and AASHTO did allow New York to sign I-99 from I-86 to the PA state line.  :bigass:

Rothman

Quote from: WashuOtaku on September 04, 2015, 05:25:15 PM

Yet FHWA and AASHTO did allow New York to sign I-99 from I-86 to the PA state line.  :bigass:

Only when I-86 had been designated itself since it connected to I-90.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 05:49:10 PM

I-99 and I-86 are gapped and end at unlogical places. Eh, not as bad as US 319.

Rothman

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 04, 2015, 05:51:42 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 05:49:10 PM

I-99 and I-86 are gapped and end at unlogical places. Eh, not as bad as US 319.

Western I-86 starts at I-90 and ends where it is no longer at acceptable standards to FHWA.

Eastern I-86 connects to I-81; same rules.

hbelkins

Quote from: Strider on September 04, 2015, 01:37:36 PMMartinsville needs a interstate connection (especially now that they have Speedway that is often being used for NASCAR races. You need a interstate connection for that).

NOW that they have the speedway? That's only the oldest track on the NASCAR circuit. (With the possible exception of Indy, but that's a relatively recent addition to the schedule.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on September 05, 2015, 12:16:10 AM
Quote from: Strider on September 04, 2015, 01:37:36 PMMartinsville needs a interstate connection (especially now that they have Speedway that is often being used for NASCAR races. You need a interstate connection for that).

NOW that they have the speedway? That's only the oldest track on the NASCAR circuit. (With the possible exception of Indy, but that's a relatively recent addition to the schedule.)

With this criteria (Martinsville Speedway now can seat around 65k people), numerous college towns would need an interstate connection in addition to most other NASCAR venues...

Mike

Strider

Quote from: CanesFan27 on September 04, 2015, 03:51:56 PM
I've been to a race in Martinsville - you don't need an interstate connection for it. Just better parking.

Parking isn't the only issue. Traffic is as well. (been there a couple of times as well as living a hour away from there).

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 05, 2015, 10:34:49 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 05, 2015, 12:16:10 AM

With this criteria (Martinsville Speedway now can seat around 65k people), numerous college towns would need an interstate connection in addition to most other NASCAR venues...

Mike

Well under that logic the US 460 Christiansburg/Blacksburg bypass needs to be upgraded to interstate standards so it can become I-781 until I-73 is truly more than a pipe-dream  :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Do not ever count on I-73 being north of I-81.  I think you have a better chance of a meteorite hitting the Empire State Building within a few seconds of me writing this, then you have West Virginia, Ohio, and Michigan building the roadway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

West Virginia will not build an interstate. They are building a surface route. Do people not read earlier posts here?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: Strider on September 04, 2015, 01:28:14 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 12, 2015, 09:30:04 AM
The thing is, that I-73/74 will be roads to nowhere for a looooong time, if not forever. Any interstate that doesn't connect to any other = What's the purpose?  :ded:

Wrong. Both interstates are connected to I-40 and I-85 as well as each other for now. If US 52 is being upgraded to interstate status, you can add I-77 due to the I-74 connection. Purpose served. The only issue: extend them into other state. As far as I know, I-73 has a chance to be completed to another state (VA or SC) before I-74 does.

"As of December 2008, Interstate 74 is proposed to follow the path of Interstate 77 through the state of Virginia, but remains unsigned from the West Virginia border to the North Carolina border." (I-74 article in Wikipedia)
If it weren't for that bolded word, I'd say I-74 had a hidden concurrency with I-77 in Virginia...and thus would be completed in that state...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.