News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Weigh stations on non-Interstate roads

Started by KCRoadFan, February 20, 2024, 10:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Colorado
US160 near Cortez
US50/287 near Lamar
CO71 just north of Limon
US85 near Platteville (as jlam posted upthread)
US6 near Eagle

kphoger

Even with all the Illinois ones mentioned, I think we're still missing US-14 north of Harvard.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Kentucky has a new one on US 23 northbound at the Floyd/Johnson county line. It was originally set up for portable scales for coal trucks, but a new permanent facility was built that also serves as an office for Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr_Northside

(In Maryland) - US-50 WB / US-301 SB has one right after crossing the Bay Bridge.
I always thought it a little odd.... it seems like it could be more useful before crossing the massive bridge.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kZKCCEs6uDGQrbcv6
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

RZF

In Southern California, there's one at the top of the Conejo Grade on both sides of US 101. I mainly see it open going WB/NB because that's where drivers have to descend at an 8% grade down into Camarillo. I don't remember a time when it was open for EB/SB traffic.

Illinois has another US 67 south of IL 9 jct.
There is a portable area on the Monmouth bypass.
I suspect There are more potable sites. Look for extra wife shoulders.

kphoger

Quote from: 3467 on February 21, 2024, 06:50:57 PM
Look for extra wife shoulders.

Are those the shoulders on an extra wife?  Or are they extra shoulders on the wife I already have?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on February 21, 2024, 12:33:21 PM
https://www.fdot.gov/mcsaw/weighstationlisting.shtm
Here are those in Florida.
And that's not even a complete list. I know of some along US 98 northwest of Brooksville, and FL 40 west of FL 19.

UPDATE; MARCH 2, 2024; FYI, the list incorrectly names FL 60 as "US 60."

ilpt4u

Another Illinois example is on US 24/52 just after entering from Indiana
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZiGvJud5WVH8U4856?g_st=ic

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: SEWIGuy on February 21, 2024, 09:22:06 AM
Wisconsin has three off interstates: US-61/151 near Dickeyville, US-2 near Superior, and US-41/141 near Abrams. I believe they had a couple more but have since closed them - for instance I recall one near Plymouth on WI-57 and one further north on US-51.

I'm guessing this was the site of the Plymouth weigh station, by the look of it. It seems to have been abandoned for a while.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2024, 06:54:27 PM
Quote from: 3467 on February 21, 2024, 06:50:57 PM
Look for extra wife shoulders.

Are those the shoulders on an extra wife?  Or are they extra shoulders on the wife I already have?
Like in the mid 80s when shoulder pads were in fashion?

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on February 21, 2024, 09:13:39 AM
If you exit off US 41 south just entering Illinois from Wisconsin, you swill encounter a weigh station: https://maps.app.goo.gl/wPq6r3RS4bBDa93K7

There is also a truck scale on NB I-41 by Wrightstown, WI.   it and its looong abandoned counterpart of the southbound side of the highway significantly predated the highway's promotion to I-41.  I don't yet know if it it planned to survive the pending six-lane upgrade project.  Every now and then it is open and weighing and it was rehabbed in a highway upgrade project in about 2000.

Mike

Big John

^^ I believe I read that weigh station is going to be replaced with a modern station at that location.

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 21, 2024, 07:15:05 PM
Another Illinois example is on US 24/52 just after entering from Indiana
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZiGvJud5WVH8U4856?g_st=ic

And another on US-30 between IL-394 and the Indiana State Line: https://maps.app.goo.gl/4i9VQpbdV8jW6FjR6
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

elsmere241

Delaware has one on US 13 northbound near Smyrna, but it never seems to be open.  There are signs and lights on DE 1 northbound directing trucks to get off and use it if it is open.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: dlsterner on February 20, 2024, 11:03:01 PM
There's one on US 301 north of Upper Marlboro, MD (both sides).  Don't think I've ever seen it open.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tHQ14HWN1aqHhQYN6

Also, keep going south on US 301 and there's this one near Dahlgren VA.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/5G7uoggau56QDxHz7

Quote from: Mr_Northside on February 21, 2024, 06:17:52 PM
(In Maryland) - US-50 WB / US-301 SB has one right after crossing the Bay Bridge.
I always thought it a little odd.... it seems like it could be more useful before crossing the massive bridge.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kZKCCEs6uDGQrbcv6

Continuing the US 301 theme: There's also a pair on either side of the MD/DE border (SB in Maryland, NB in Delaware).

The SB one is interesting in that the ramp into the weigh station crosses Sassafras Rd at grade, resulting in stop signs placed on Sassafras Rd (which most traffic slowly rolls thru - I've never actually had to stop for a truck whenever I've driven thru there).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota:
US 10/169 near Ramsey (located in the median)
US 2 just west of TH 33 in St. Louis County
US 2 near Erskine in Polk County
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 21, 2024, 09:10:03 AM
Minnesota has a couple on US2. One east of Erskine and another west of Duluth.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 22, 2024, 03:02:24 PM
Minnesota:
US 2 just west of TH 33 in St. Louis County
US 2 near Erskine in Polk County

Yep.
Male pronouns, please.

Dough4872

Quote from: elsmere241 on February 22, 2024, 09:38:58 AM
Delaware has one on US 13 northbound near Smyrna, but it never seems to be open.  There are signs and lights on DE 1 northbound directing trucks to get off and use it if it is open.

There is a virtual weigh station on northbound DE 1 just south of the North Smyrna exit, trucks with issues are directed to the weigh station on US 13 for additional screening. I imagine the virtual weigh station on DE 1 has significantly reduced the need for the weigh station on US 13, especially given most trucks are using DE 1 instead of US 13.

GaryA

Quote from: RZF on February 21, 2024, 06:39:27 PM
In Southern California, there's one at the top of the Conejo Grade on both sides of US 101. I mainly see it open going WB/NB because that's where drivers have to descend at an 8% grade down into Camarillo. I don't remember a time when it was open for EB/SB traffic.

I travel the Conejo Grade regularly, and I have seen both of those stations opened fairly often.

There's also a set on CA 118 between Somis and Simi Valley, but it's rarely if ever open - mostly serving to try to deter trucks from using CA 118 merely to avoid the weigh station on 101.

Farther north, there is a pair of weigh stations on US 101 near Gilroy.

Beeper1

There's one on MA-8 in Cheshire.  Only one in MA that I am aware of on a non-controlled access road.

For non-interstate freeways, there's one on MA-146 NB in Uxbridge in the old rest area.  One on MA-2 WB near Athol, and another on MA-2 WB near Gardner (not sure why two so close together going the same direction, not that it matters as they are never open.)

In RI, there is a set on US-6 EB and WB in Scituate just west of the RI-101 split.  Also a set on RI-146 in North Smithfield.

SSR_317

Quote from: Sykotyk on February 21, 2024, 09:10:03 AM
Arizona has a couple. One is on future I-11 northwest of Kingman.
Are you referring to the Arizona Port of Entry, located at the interchange (exit 67) between US 93 (future I-11) and SR 68? That covers southbound (and EB SR 68) commercial traffic entering the state. But there are also two northbound US 93 locations where signed weigh stations (with no permanent facilities) exist, one at Milepost 61, and another just south of the entrance to the Lake Mead National Recreation Area near Householder Pass at Milepost 17.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.