News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MASTERNC

Either Delaware uses Maryland's sign shop or likes to copy their signage.  Delaware has finally posted signs for its cell phone law, and they are identical to Maryland's (except for a very ugly font).  The sign I saw was on the I-495 South ramp just past the Naamans Road exit.

There are other similar signs.  Some exit signs on I-95 are shaped like Maryland's (with similar fonts) and they also use that lane ends warning sign (with the sloped downward arrows). 

Alps

Delaware copies Maryland on a lot of things, such as "Welcome to" at subdivisions. (I've seen it in Maryland, though I first saw it in Delaware, so to be fair I don't really know which came first.)

allniter89

Quote from: NE2 on August 02, 2012, 10:11:11 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but the SR 1 freeway now extends south over the Barkers Landing Bridge: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.1061&lon=-75.4544&zoom=13&layers=M
Here's a 24/7 traffic camera at Barkers Landing, click on the yellow circle to the right to view. The next cam at DE 1 and Bowers Beach Rd shows my old homestead when the cam pans (the big white house).
www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicCameraDisplay&county=2

From what I can see the freeway is built to just north of Little Heaven. Before DE 1 was built this was US 113, a 2 lane hwy. It was a very dangerous intersection because to turn left off Trap Shooters Rd onto US 113 north (which 99% of traffic did) the structure of the old drawbridge obscurred your view. They didnt have the access roads like now, Trap Shooter Rd intersected directly (and deadended at) US 113. I lost a friend and an aquantiice here in two separate crashs and many many others died here also. :-(

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Alex

I was surprised to see the "folded-diamond" along Delaware 1 at Trap Shooters Road. There are small guide signs directing traffic to Magnolia there and street blades with Trap Shooters Road posted as well.

Delaware 1 north at Trap Shooters Road. Photo taken June 18, 2012.

Delaware 1 south at Trap Shooters Road. Photo taken June 18, 2012.

Going back almost ten years now, plans for an interchange at Little Heaven (former US 113 Alternate) are still ongoing. Construction may start in 2014 now. http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/little_heaven/index.shtml

Quote from: allniter89 on August 04, 2012, 07:09:59 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 02, 2012, 10:11:11 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but the SR 1 freeway now extends south over the Barkers Landing Bridge: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=39.1061&lon=-75.4544&zoom=13&layers=M
Here's a 24/7 traffic camera at Barkers Landing, click on the yellow circle to the right to view. The next cam at DE 1 and Bowers Beach Rd shows my old homestead when the cam pans (the big white house).
www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicCameraDisplay&county=2

From what I can see the freeway is built to just north of Little Heaven. Before DE 1 was built this was US 113, a 2 lane hwy. It was a very dangerous intersection because to turn left off Trap Shooters Rd onto US 113 north (which 99% of traffic did) the structure of the old drawbridge obscurred your view. They didnt have the access roads like now, Trap Shooter Rd intersected directly (and deadended at) US 113. I lost a friend and an aquantiice here in two separate crashs and many many others died here also. :-(

Fleetwood Mac Attack

Does anybody have any idea why Google Maps doesn't display any traffic info at all for DE-1 south of Dover (where the expressway portion ends)? I realize that it's not a freeway but I think everyone can agree it's still a major roadway facility, and certainly carries more traffic in the summer than US-13 or US-113 in southern Delaware. So why then, on Labor Day, is there no traffic information??

https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.863236,-74.929504&spn=0.559243,1.130219&t=h&z=10&layer=t

Alps

Quote from: Fleetwood Mac Attack on September 03, 2012, 12:53:01 PM
Does anybody have any idea why Google Maps doesn't display any traffic info at all for DE-1 south of Dover (where the expressway portion ends)? I realize that it's not a freeway but I think everyone can agree it's still a major roadway facility, and certainly carries more traffic in the summer than US-13 or US-113 in southern Delaware. So why then, on Labor Day, is there no traffic information??

https://maps.google.com/?ll=38.863236,-74.929504&spn=0.559243,1.130219&t=h&z=10&layer=t
Depends on DelDOT or whatever other agency collects traffic information. The NYC area is well represented by INRIX on freeways, and NJ (as an example) collects their own information through 5-1-1 and interagency coordination to cover state highways and other major roads (even down to the town level). If a major roadway isn't covered, it's because Delaware doesn't have a system set up for that road, not because of Google Maps.

Fleetwood Mac Attack

Quote from: Steve on September 04, 2012, 04:53:32 AM
Depends on DelDOT or whatever other agency collects traffic information. The NYC area is well represented by INRIX on freeways, and NJ (as an example) collects their own information through 5-1-1 and interagency coordination to cover state highways and other major roads (even down to the town level). If a major roadway isn't covered, it's because Delaware doesn't have a system set up for that road, not because of Google Maps.

This is confusing to me - "if a major roadway isn't covered"? I was under the impression that traffic data for Google maps/maps on an iPhone is generated using phones as probes. I currently live in Fairfax, Virginia; when I check traffic on my phone, I can see traffic on nearly any minor arterial in Virginia or in DC. When I was in Delaware yesterday, I could see traffic for roads in neighborhoods in northern DE. Why then would there be no data along DE-1 south of Dover, with thousands of cars jammed up?

Alps

Quote from: Fleetwood Mac Attack on September 04, 2012, 04:37:56 PM
Quote from: Steve on September 04, 2012, 04:53:32 AM

This is confusing to me - "if a major roadway isn't covered"? I was under the impression that traffic data for Google maps/maps on an iPhone is generated using phones as probes. I currently live in Fairfax, Virginia; when I check traffic on my phone, I can see traffic on nearly any minor arterial in Virginia or in DC. When I was in Delaware yesterday, I could see traffic for roads in neighborhoods in northern DE. Why then would there be no data along DE-1 south of Dover, with thousands of cars jammed up?

Because what is measuring the phones as probes? Hint: it's not the phone companies.

Mdcastle

I'm driving from Pocomoke City to Dorsett VA, and I wanted to make it to Delaware since I've never been there. I notice on my map the "First Mason Dixon Stone" is a couple of miles of US 50. Is that stone still the legal corner of Delaware so I can say I've been to the state if I circle the stone?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mdcastle on September 08, 2012, 04:56:02 PM
I'm driving from Pocomoke City to Dorsett VA, and I wanted to make it to Delaware since I've never been there. I notice on my map the "First Mason Dixon Stone" is a couple of miles of US 50. Is that stone still the legal corner of Delaware so I can say I've been to the state if I circle the stone?

I think there is a stone at the southwestern corner of Delaware, but it is not the "crown stone", which is in Marydel, a considerable distance north of the corner of Delaware.

From U.S. 50 turn north onto Md. 313 toward Mardela Springs.  Make a quick right onto Md. 54 (Md. 54 east).  if you then continue on Md. 54, it will cross the southern side of Delaware just east of that stone (in other words, the road crosses into Delaware at a slight east/northeast heading). Stated differently, that stone will be on your left on Md. 54 before you reach the Md./Del. state line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

I-95 ramp to US 202 [Delaware 202] will close

QuoteWorkers will soon close the exit ramp from southbound I-95 to southbound U.S. 202 [should reference Delaware 202]/Concord Pike for eight months to make way for the ongoing realignment of ramps at the interchange, officials say.

Starting the week of Sept. 24, motorists will be directed to follow a 2-mile detour north of Wilmington...

QuoteThe overall interchange project is expected to wrap up in spring 2015, said Vernon Lawton, an area engineer for DelDOT.

QuoteInitially, the existing ramp was to remain open while crews built the new one in phases. Crews now hope to complete the replacement ramp by April or May 2013, weather permitting, Torrijos said.

Alex

State prepares for widening of Del. 26

QuoteState transportation officials are gearing up for a long-delayed, $65 million project to widen a stretch of Del. 26 between Clarksville and Bethany Beach, with construction expected to begin next fall.

QuoteNight construction could reduce the project duration by 18 months as work could continue through the peak tourist season. Construction could then conclude within 2½ years, rather than four, officials estimate.

During peak season (May 16 to Sept. 30), no work will be permitted Fridays through Mondays or on holidays. From Tuesdays through Thursdays, daytime lane restrictions won't be allowed unless the contractor can maintain two lanes of traffic, Frey said.

In the off-peak season, lane restrictions are possible seven days a week. Winter is also when crews will tackle bridge reconstruction that will close two points of Del. 26 for up to eight weeks and require detours, officials said.

QuotePlanned improvements on Del. 26 include expanding the roadway from a width of roughly 40 feet to 64 feet. That will mean two, 11-foot-wide travel lanes; a 12-foot-wide continuous center turning lane; and 5-foot-wide paved shoulders in each direction. That work would extend from the intersection of Del. 26 at Omar and Powell Farm roads to Bethany Beach, to the point where Garfield Parkway expands to three lanes beyond the Assawoman Canal Bridge.

In addition to improving bicycle lanes along the corridor, plans call for installing 3.5 miles of sidewalks, six miles of curbing and delineating 230 entrances for businesses and residences, many of which have open, undefined entryways.

Work began in 2010 to widen and improve five miles of adjacent roads to serve as alternate routes during construction on Del. 26. To expedite that $11 million project after utility-related delays, the contractor began working on more than one section of roadway concurrently. Construction is expected to wrap up by next summer.

Alex

I-95 interchange project to cause Del. 1 closures

QuoteDrivers should brace themselves for more detours at the I-95/Del. 1 interchange near Christiana Mall — this time, full closures of Del. 1 starting next weekend and continuing into early November.

QuoteDepending on the day, crews will close the highway after 9 p.m. (later on weekends) and work through early morning. The roadway should reopen by 6 a.m. on weekdays, 10 a.m Saturdays and 8 a.m. Sundays. DelDOT's contractor must maintain the current number of traffic lanes during peak travel hours.

The overnight closures are necessary to make room for the placement of large steel girders — part of the elevated fly-over ramps being built as part of the ongoing interchange project at I-95 and Del. 1.

QuoteOne new flyover ramp will ultimately carry traffic from northbound Interstate 95 to northbound Del. 7. The other flyover ramp will carry traffic from southbound I-95 to the new mall bridge, Torrijos said.

The multiyear project aims to create smoother merging and less congestion at one of Delaware's busiest interchanges. Construction is expected to be complete by the end of next year.

jemacedo9

Quote from: Alex on September 27, 2012, 09:25:32 AM
State prepares for widening of Del. 26

QuoteState transportation officials are gearing up for a long-delayed, $65 million project to widen a stretch of Del. 26 between Clarksville and Bethany Beach, with construction expected to begin next fall.

I spent a week this summer inland of Bethany Beach, and DE 26 was a long solid line of cars, but moving at 25MPH for a good 5 mile stretch at any point on a regular weekday, morning til evening.  The weekend - standstill.  This is going to be a big help.

Alex

Traffic cork set for I-95

QuoteInterstate 95 will shut down for bridge construction at the U.S. 202 interchange the weekend before Halloween...

QuoteCrews will close the highway from 8 p.m. Oct. 26 through 5 a.m. Oct. 29 to place large steel girders over the interstate — part of the new Exit 8 bridge to northbound U.S. 202, said Javier Torrijos, construction group engineer for DelDOT's north district.

Also inaccessible that weekend will be ramps from southbound U.S. 202 to northbound I-95 and from northbound 202 to southbound I-95. Those are in addition to the ramp from southbound I-95 to southbound 202, which is closed through April or May.

QuoteThe new ramp bridge will have a minimum 18½-foot clearance over the interstate, eliminating a substandard clearance that currently causes problems for oversized trucks, said Vernon Lawton, an area engineer for DelDOT.

QuoteThe I-95/U.S. 202 project is part of a $27.6 million makeover to improve safety and traffic flow through the heavily congested area. In a recent three-year period, the interchange had the highest crash rate among the six interchanges along I-95 in Delaware, according to a recent analysis by the Wilmington Area Planning Council.

Alps

Quote from: Alex on October 12, 2012, 09:20:52 AM
Traffic cork set for I-95

QuoteInterstate 95 will shut down for bridge construction at the U.S. 202 interchange the weekend before Halloween...

QuoteCrews will close the highway from 8 p.m. Oct. 26 through 5 a.m. Oct. 29 to place large steel girders over the interstate — part of the new Exit 8 bridge to northbound U.S. 202, said Javier Torrijos, construction group engineer for DelDOT's north district.

Advance VMS on I-95 only mention closing on Oct. 26, with no mention of a reopening date/time. I got the impression that it was going to be long-term based on that - very misleading.

Alex

Fix planned for Churchmans Road ramp scramble

QuoteThe Delaware Department of Transportation this week presented plans for a $1.75-million fix to improve safety and reduce congestion along a half-mile stretch of Churchmans Road, between Christiana Hospital and the Del. 1 interchange. Construction is expected to begin next fall.

QuoteDelDOT engineers hope that adding a third right-turn lane will help. When crews complete the separate interchange project at I-95/Del. 1, coordination of signals on the corridor should also improve traffic flow, said Jenna Frye, the project engineer.

The workshop PDF shows the planned configuration at http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/churchmansRdCHtoSR1/workshops/102212_Workshop.pdf

Still no word on if they will ever add the missing connection from DE 1/7 southbound onto I-95 southbound that will allow motorists to no longer encounter the signal at DE 58...

cpzilliacus

AP via WTOP Radio: Dune breach closes major Del. evacuation route

QuoteA major highway for people hoping to evacuate southern Delaware coastal communities is closed after ocean water breached sand dunes along the road.

QuoteSussex County officials say Delaware Route 1 is closed in both directions north of the Indian River Inlet Bridge because of water on the road. The dune breach occurred around dawn Sunday morning. Officials say the highway will remain closed indefinitely as Hurricane Sandy closes in on Delaware.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

Work to begin Monday on new Del. 1 interchange at Milford

QuoteConstruction will begin Monday on a new Del. 1 interchange at Milford's southern border, state officials announced today.

The work, expected to last about 14 months, will eliminate an accident-prone intersection that includes Wilkins Road, Del. 30 and Cedar Neck Road.

Delaware Department of Transportation officials said the contractor chosen for the work, George & Lynch, Inc. of Dover, submitted a bid of $9,222,466, the lowest of six received.

The initial work will require no lane closures but restrictions will be announced later, DelDOT said.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alex on November 27, 2012, 06:55:25 PM
Work to begin Monday on new Del. 1 interchange at Milford

QuoteConstruction will begin Monday on a new Del. 1 interchange at Milford's southern border, state officials announced today.

The work, expected to last about 14 months, will eliminate an accident-prone intersection that includes Wilkins Road, Del. 30 and Cedar Neck Road.

Delaware Department of Transportation officials said the contractor chosen for the work, George & Lynch, Inc. of Dover, submitted a bid of $9,222,466, the lowest of six received.

The initial work will require no lane closures but restrictions will be announced later, DelDOT said.

This is good news.  People drive the arterial portion of Delaware 1 between Rehoboth (the U.S. 9/Del. 404 intersection) and DAFB as if it were a 70 MPH freeway. 

What ever happened to the much-talked about "you have been warned" Delaware speed limit  enforcement?  Outside the corporate limits of certain municipalities (Georgetown, Harrington, Felton, Bridgeville and Seaford come to mind), there's not much speed limit in Delaware these days.

roadman65

I was wondering being that some intersections are being replaced with interchanges along DE 1, if the section of DE 1 from at least Milford to DAFB will be upgraded to complete freeway?

They took a lot of time and effort to make the DE 1 Turnpike part of DE 1 and to sign the original US 113 north of Milford as DE 1 so it can be one continuous road from the Greater Wilimington Area to the Beach region.   I would assume that DelDOT would also want the rest of DE 1 to Rehoboth  as free and clear of obsticles as well.  Plus, even though the idea of a Delmarva interstate will never happen in the next 50 years, I would figure that DE 1 from Dover to Milford is going to be that possible future interstate, so it might seem feasable to kill two birds at one time even if its sporadic in completing it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Doubtful.  There's a lot of private access to DE 1 between Milford and Little Heaven, with some buildings fairly close to the highway.  Not impossible, but it'd be very expensive for DelDOT to buy all that out in order to upgrade DE 1 to a full freeway.

As for the planned new interchange at DE 30, no work had begun as of this past Monday, though it's still early in the project.  The "interim improvements" at Cedar Neck Rd and Johnson Rd have very much been implemented though...Cedar Neck Rd is now a right-in/right-out on both sides (no median crossing period), while at Johnson Rd, left turns onto NB 1 have been closed (left turns *FROM* NB 1 are still allowed).  There's a median opening just to the south at Sharps Rd, so this one isn't quite as bad.

Alex

Part of Newark's Elkton Road now called South Main Street

QuotePart of Newark's Elkton Road now has a new name--South Main Street.

Newark City Council decided back in June to re-name the portion of Elkton Road between West Main Street and West Park Place effective New Year's Day, saying Elkton Road has been part of downtown Newark since Council expanded downtown's boundaries in 2007.

Council members believe the name change will foster growth by associating Elkton Road with Newark's downtown section.

Affected businesses and residents were told of the change in September, and DELDOT has completed changing road signs along the re-named road.

A ceremony recognizing the name change is set for Friday morning in the parking lot of Buffalo Wild Wings at 100 South Main Street.

Was told about the renaming of Elkton Road to South Main Street by one of my best friends and a lifelong Newark native. He said that the renaming was more motivated to dissociate Newark with Elkton. After an airport run to PHL on Christmas Day, we rode through the new "South Main Street".

New signage in place on College Avenue (DE-896) ahead of West Main Street (DE 2 Business/273 westbound). Funny how Highway Gothic was used instead of the state-standard of Clearview...

Approaching the split of DE 2 Business/273 and 896 at the end of Newark business district. South Main Street begins to the left over what was Elkton Road.

The redesigned Elkton Road / now South Main Street begins as Delaware 273 east turns onto Delaware Avenue. The two-lane boulevard replaced a four-lane arterial along this stretch.

The end sign for South Main Street resides at Park Place. New mast-arms at signalized intersections along South Main Street have yet to receive street-name placards. Otherwise this stretch of South Main Street/Elkton Road varies between a four-lane divided boulevard or five-lane arterial with a center turn lane.

agentsteel53

did this sign get zapped, then?

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 02, 2013, 02:11:11 PM
did this sign get zapped, then?

Yes, all of those were Clearview'ized by June 2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.