News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Speaking from experience, there are several different locations along US 13 and US 113 (admittedly no longer in Dover) that have Bay Bridge trailblazers.

Alex4897

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2013, 04:41:00 PM
Heading north on Friday, noticed that the ramps at the new DE 1/DE 30 interchange are now open on both sides.  The bridge over DE 1 at Wilkins Rd, however, is still under construction and looks like it'll still be a few months before it's completed.  Also of note, the guide signage for the northbound exit is completely empty...it's just a green blank.  My guess is due to the bridge still being built.  Southbound exit is signed as DE 30.

The ramps have been completed at least for a few months now, they were progressively opening them over the summer.  I was a bit disappointed to see that they hadn't assigned exit numbers to the interchange, but I guess it's still possible given the unfinished nature of the project.
👉😎👉

Alex

Been this way for decades and no attempts have been made to deal with it and based upon what the article reads, its still a long way off before it is ever dealt with.

Fix It: Bottleneck on Christina Parkway

QuoteThe location of the problem is the Christina Parkway, that stretch of newer road between Elkton Road and South College Avenue that joins Chestnut Hill Road. It is designated as both Del. 4 and Del. 896.

QuoteA capital improvement project is in DelDOT's current Capital Transportation Program to reconstruct Del. 4 to provide the consistent two lanes heading eastbound.

Design is currently underway, said department spokeswoman Sandy Roumillat. Funding for the construction, however, is four to five years out under current plans, she said.

She added restriping is not a recommended solution.

"We are not certain that the existing shoulder, which would become a travel lane, could handle increased traffic loads,"  she said.

Mapmikey

While completing Delaware's Primary System today I wandered by DE 279.

It is still not posted...

Mapmikey

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Alex on January 13, 2014, 10:47:10 AM
Been this way for decades and no attempts have been made to deal with it and based upon what the article reads, its still a long way off before it is ever dealt with.

QuoteThe location of the problem is the Christina Parkway, that stretch of newer road between Elkton Road and South College Avenue that joins Chestnut Hill Road. It is designated as both Del. 4 and Del. 896.

QuoteA capital improvement project is in DelDOT's current Capital Transportation Program to reconstruct Del. 4 to provide the consistent two lanes heading eastbound.

Design is currently underway, said department spokeswoman Sandy Roumillat. Funding for the construction, however, is four to five years out under current plans, she said.

"We are not certain that the existing shoulder, which would become a travel lane, could handle increased traffic loads,"  she said.

Remove the tolls on I-95. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alex4897

I noticed the other day that the sign bridge on DE 72 near DE 273 got a partial facelift, the left most sign now reflects the removal of BUS 2 and I think they added a destination.  The right one also looked like it got a facelift, but no information changes to it.
👉😎👉

elsmere241

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20140129/NEWS02/301290066/Markell-seek-10-cent-hike-gas-tax-source-says

QuoteGov. Jack Markell is seeking a 10-cent increase in Delaware's gas tax and borrowing $50 million more a year to fund a $500 million, five-year proposal to improve roads and bridges statewide.  The proposals were announced today during a press conference Markell held to outline his infrastructure plan. The new tax and debt would generate about $100 million a year to fund the plan.  The Legislature must approve the proposals.

Delawareans now pay 23 cents in state gas tax. A 10-cent increase is expected to generate about $50 million a year.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 19, 2014, 01:29:40 AM
Quote from: Alex on January 13, 2014, 10:47:10 AM

"We are not certain that the existing shoulder, which would become a travel lane, could handle increased traffic loads,” she said.

Remove the tolls on I-95. PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'm guessing you don't know where this stretch of roadway is located.  It's not a shunpike route.  I would say it's quite heavily used by local residents going to work or the University of Delaware.

NJRoadfan

Christina Parkway is one of the better known shunpikes of the Delaware toll.

jeffandnicole

But why the stretch of roadway where it narrows down to one lane, which takes one thru the congested U of D area?  A quicker, higher speed shunpike would be Exiting I-95 at Exit 3 to 273 to 4, then turning left onto what becomes 279 in Maryland.

Or, just take Exit 1 off of I-95 in Delaware?

NJRoadfan

Christina Parkway is DE-4 and all the shunpikes utilize Exit 1. The section of road in question: http://goo.gl/maps/KU0d2

jeffandnicole

Nevermind...I see where they are referring to.  I was thinking another area.  My bad.

Alex

Roundabout proposed on Del. 7 in Christiana

QuoteInstead of creating a dead-end, the state would install a roundabout along Del. 7/East Main Street just north of Del. 273 in Christiana — an alternative that would retain full access to the village and address safety concerns at the intersection, officials say.

This proposal adds a roundabout joining a new off-ramp from DE 1 south to DE 7, north of the DE 7 intersection with DE 273. Plans are here: http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/sr1/sr1-wide/pdf/Rte273_Int_Roundabout_Day_Care.pdf

D-Dey65

I'm normally pretty skeptical about the construction of any new roundabouts/traffic circles, but this looks kind of interesting.

Alex4897

The traffic piles up on the DE 1 S - DE 273 ramp during the evening rush hour though.  Even if these Newtown Road/DE 7 ramps get built, I don't see the roundabout as a good idea.  At the very least, it's a step in the right direction for the people who live in Christiana.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

👉😎👉

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

I saw the headline and one photo of the empty, overturned truck. I'm clicking on absolutely nothing related to this story ever.

Zeffy

Quote from: Alps on May 20, 2014, 11:51:25 PM
I saw the headline and one photo of the empty, overturned truck. I'm clicking on absolutely nothing related to this story ever.

I'm already recovering from a wasp in my house that made me almost shit myself when I heard it buzzing above me. I've never jumped so high in my life and ran so fast to avoid the fucker. Good thing I killed it with canned air.

Moral of the story: Fuck stinging insects. I get it they are valuable for the ecosystem and pollination and whatnot, but I will not hesitate to kill any of them inside my personal domain if they dare trespass.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

And that wasn't the only truck accident that day:  http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/traffic/2014/05/20/crash-causes-delays-on-del-1-near-95/9333925/

In this one, the truck was hauling a power substation which was completely destroyed when it hit the overpass. 

The truck had an 'Oversized Load' banner.  And from what I remember there's no clearance plate on that overpass, so it's at least 14'6". 

Something must've gone terrible wrong for this truck to go the distance it went, not hit anything, and then suddenly hit this overpass.

Luckily they determined the overpass was OK.  It appears to have hit the 95 NB Overpass, which is not one of the new ones in this recently reconstructed interchange.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 21, 2014, 08:48:40 AM
And that wasn't the only truck accident that day:  http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/traffic/2014/05/20/crash-causes-delays-on-del-1-near-95/9333925/

In this one, the truck was hauling a power substation which was completely destroyed when it hit the overpass. 

The truck had an 'Oversized Load' banner.  And from what I remember there's no clearance plate on that overpass, so it's at least 14'6". 

Something must've gone terrible wrong for this truck to go the distance it went, not hit anything, and then suddenly hit this overpass.

Luckily they determined the overpass was OK.  It appears to have hit the 95 NB Overpass, which is not one of the new ones in this recently reconstructed interchange.

No one bothered to post a message board pertaining to the wreck two or so hours after it happened, so I ended up getting forced onto I-95 North via the new flyovers and having to turn around at DE 141.

The overpass never had a clearance sign on it, but luckily the only damage that's obvious is that the front most steel girder has a small dent in it.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ChezeHed81 on August 27, 2013, 08:04:39 AM

I it looks like a "cover-up"...  APL arrows overlaid on existing pull-through

That sign is now this...

Alex4897

Ah they finally fixed that?  I was beginning to worry that they were just going to leave it like that permanently!
👉😎👉

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 24, 2014, 08:08:35 PM
Quote from: ChezeHed81 on August 27, 2013, 08:04:39 AM

I it looks like a "cover-up"...  APL arrows overlaid on existing pull-through

That sign is now this...

Is it me or do those shields look smaller in the newer BGS'?  I prefer the shield sizes (& direction cardinal sizes) on the older BGS'.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alex4897

So I was screwing around on Historic Aerials the other day and found a few things relating back to DE 1's construction that were interesting.

The first was a traffic light at the Christiana Mall that appears to be on the mainline.  I knew this configuration existed prior to noticing it on HA, but it reignited curiosity as to what this actually looked like.  Does anyone of pictures of this old setup, from satellite or from the ground?

The second appears to be either early plans for the Tybouts Corner interchange, or an early configuration of it.  Was the access ramp to DE 1 north ever that far back?  A quick glance at Google Maps shows what appears to be grading for this supposed ramp.
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.