News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 15, 2023, 06:57:25 PM
Could you mark on Google Maps (or some other map app) the general vicinity of where this Currituck Sound toll bridge is proposed to be located? Thanks.

excellent map with location - https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/mid-currituck-bridge/Documents/selected-alternative.pdf

tjcreasy

In regards to Old US 421 in Greensboro, sign it as J.M. Hunt JR Expwy "Greensboro"  on I-85. On I-40 sign Old US 421 as MLK JR Blvd to US 421 SOUTH "Liberty"  "Sanford" .  Anything more signage wise than what's there is an improvement.

Bonus points for adding a state Highway designation which could be NC 22 without much effort.

dfilpus

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 15, 2023, 06:57:25 PM
Could you mark on Google Maps (or some other map app) the general vicinity of where this Currituck Sound toll bridge is proposed to be located? Thanks.
From NCDOT: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/mid-currituck-bridge/Documents/selected-alternative.pdf

fillup420

Quote from: tjcreasy on March 15, 2023, 08:55:40 PM
In regards to Old US 421 in Greensboro, sign it as J.M. Hunt JR Expwy "Greensboro"  on I-85. On I-40 sign Old US 421 as MLK JR Blvd to US 421 SOUTH "Liberty"  "Sanford" .  Anything more signage wise than what's there is an improvement.

Bonus points for adding a state Highway designation which could be NC 22 without much effort.

I think it should be signed as "US 421 Spur" on the former section between I-85 and I-40. 421 has been the route into Greensboro from points southeast for a long time. Signing a spur would keep it relevant.

sprjus4

Why didn't they just keep US-421 on the old routing, then I-40? The overlap on the new beltway just seems pointless.

The Ghostbuster

I second this. Maybe they wanted an all-freeway alignment for US 421 within the Greensboro/Winston-Salem region.

wdcrft63

Quote from: fillup420 on March 17, 2023, 03:22:30 PM
Quote from: tjcreasy on March 15, 2023, 08:55:40 PM

I think it should be signed as "US 421 Spur" on the former section between I-85 and I-40. 421 has been the route into Greensboro from points southeast for a long time. Signing a spur would keep it relevant.
I support this idea. U.S. highways can have Bypass, Alternate, and Truck routes; there's no reason 421 couldn't have a Spur route. However I could also support returning 421 to its original route through Greensboro.

NJRoadfan

The re-routing was to reduce signing confusion and divert US-421 thru traffic at "Death Valley". One less route multiplex to worry about.

sprjus4

I-40 and US-421 would be the only routes through there, right?

I don't see how that's confusing.

NJRoadfan

US-29, US-220, US-70, and I-85 Bus (although not for long) share the I-40 roadway there too. For a brief period of time, I-40 itself was re-routed to the urban loop until NCDOT realized they would lose federal funding for that section of roadway being I-40 Business.

Strider

US 421 is moved on the bypass (along with I-73 and I-85) to give motorists quicker way to bypass Greensboro. The old route is just for locals. The old US 421 part between I-40 and I-85 should be an extension of NC 22, IMO. (NC 22 used to begin/end at US 421 at the current I-85 interchange before the bypass was built).

Soon, only US 29 and US 220 will share the same road with I-40 through Greensboro. US 70 is being moved to Wendover and will no longer share same road. I-85 Bus is being phrased out right now between Lexington and Greensboro.

roadman65

I see that new alignment for US 17 in Wilmington is going to use this ROW in the imagery here.
https://goo.gl/maps/HdrjvqGVyQ4cHEbj6
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on March 20, 2023, 05:56:00 PM
I see that new alignment for US 17 in Wilmington is going to use this ROW in the imagery here.
https://goo.gl/maps/HdrjvqGVyQ4cHEbj6

Actually it will not be a realignment of US 17, but it will instead be numbered NC 417.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

The Ghostbuster

NC 417 is the first leg of a connection with NC 140 and the future Hampstead Bypass (which will have the US 17 Bypass designation): https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-17-hampstead-bypass/Pages/default.aspx. The bypass should be completed in 2030: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampstead_Bypass_(North_Carolina).

Alex4897

I can understand the Hampstead Bypass being left without an interstate designation even if it's a logical extension of the 'original' bypass, but what's up with the eastern leg of the Wilmington Bypass being left with a state route designation instead of the interstate designation? I've been on that leg of the bypass a couple times over the past few years and never noticed anything particularly deficient standards-wise about it.
👉😎👉

sprjus4

^ Another thing to note about the new bypass (which will be a fully controlled access freeway north of I-140), it will have a TOTSO movement at its junction with I-140 / NC-140. Traffic wishing to continue onto US-17 north that is following I-140 will exit onto a flyover to connect with the new bypass.

Staying straight will simply keep you on I-140/NC-140.

Same with heading southbound on the new bypass, to continue onto I-140 to bypass Wilmington, one would need to exit right, or else one will continue onto the new NC-417 (which is under construction) which is simply an arterial roadway heading into Wilmington (not freeway).

roadman65

I don't still understand why US 17 was placed on its current alignment after being routed on US 421, I-140, and present day NC 140.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wdcrft63

Quote from: Alex4897 on March 20, 2023, 09:30:32 PM
I can understand the Hampstead Bypass being left without an interstate designation even if it's a logical extension of the 'original' bypass, but what's up with the eastern leg of the Wilmington Bypass being left with a state route designation instead of the interstate designation? I've been on that leg of the bypass a couple times over the past few years and never noticed anything particularly deficient standards-wise about it.
If NCDOT had asked they probably would have gotten the interstate designation for NC 140. The situation is analogous to I-526 at Charleston or I-495 at Boston, a semicircular loop around a coastal city. The whole thing should have the interstate designation.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

fillup420

I finally got a chance to drive over the two new bridges on the outer banks; the Bonner bridge replacement and the new jughandle bridge at Rodanthe. I must say, the Basnight bridge is a huge improvement over the old Bonner bridge. I feel bad for those with sound side houses in Rodanthe that now have a massive bridge dominating the view, but i guess it's better than having NC 12 wash out every 6 months.

I noticed several dead birds along the shoulders of both bridges. I wonder why that is?

I also noticed a third, less exciting bridge between the two. It looks like a place where the ocean breaches frequently so it makes sense.

Alex4897

Quote from: fillup420 on March 23, 2023, 05:18:24 PM
I noticed several dead birds along the shoulders of both bridges. I wonder why that is?

I've noticed the same phenomenon on the MD 90 bridges into Ocean City, the seagulls in particular seem to enjoy hanging on or around the bridge. Combine them with intermittent traffic and you're bound to get more than a few flattened stragglers.
👉😎👉

wdcrft63

I also noticed a third, less exciting bridge between the two. It looks like a place where the ocean breaches frequently so it makes sense.

This is New Inlet, named when it opened in 1738. It has opened many times since then, famously in 2011 by Hurricane Irene.

Dirt Roads

This phenomenon is common on elevated guideways for electrified rubber-tired trains.  You can make your own inferences here, but vehicles which lack engine noises can and do surprise all sorts of critters on a bridge (including us humans working in the right-of-way).

sprjus4

https://webservices.ncleg.gov/ViewBillDocument/2023/1998/0/DRH10107-NE-38

Looks like North Carolina might be testing the waters again after failing a decade ago (2013)... there's a bill to raise the maximum speed limit on interstate highways and controlled access facilities from 70 mph to 75 mph.

I think desolate rural stretches of I-40, I-85, I-95, I-77, I-587, US-64, US-17, etc. could reasonably handle a raise to 75 mph on fully controlled access segments.

First, I'd like NCDOT to increase some more 65 mph zones to 70 mph, and some more 55 mph zones to 60 mph (non limited access).

ARMOURERERIC

How is NCDot doing financially these days, is there a trend towards returning to the spending levels and project delivery of say, 6 years ago?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.