States you have traveled through, but never made it on an interstate

Started by roadman65, December 07, 2013, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstp3103

This applies to two of the more recent states I've clinched:

North Carolina: stayed almost exclusively within GSM National Park
Maine: traveled up NH-16 to get there and stayed close to the state border while in Maine

7/8

Update, down to 3 states. Vermont no longer applies for me now that I've travelled a small portion of I-89.

Quote from: 7/8 on August 23, 2022, 11:22:13 AM
4 3 states for me.

Arkansas: I went on a day trip to Eureka Springs from Branson, MO (2 counties).
Montana: Stayed in West Yellowstone for a few nights on my 3-week road trip out west (1 county).
New Hampshire: On my Maritimes trip, we passed through Coos County on NH 26 (1 county).
Vermont: I've been several times to Vermont including skiing at Jay's Peak, Killington/Pico, and Okemo, and also drove through the northeast corner on a trip to the Martimes, but none of these trips were near an interstate (4 counties total).

pderocco

Oklahoma. 25 or so years ago, I drove up US-54 on my way from Tucumcari, NM to Wichita, KS.

Hawaii. I've only driven there on Maui, which has no interstate.

The only state I've driven less in is Alaska, since I've never been there. All other 47 I've driven through on interstates.

algorerhythms

Hmm... I've got:

North Carolina (I don't count I-whatever it is they want to call US-17; not every road needs to be an interstate),
Georgia (conference in Atlanta, took Metra to get places),
Colorado and New Mexico (both briefly crossed into near the tripoint with Oklahoma),
Utah, Alabama, and Minnesota (airport transfer),
And maybe Florida (conference, depending on the exact route the taxi took between the airport and the conference center and where exactly I-595 ends)

jlam

Out of the states I have been to, there are these 4:

Kansas: Only been on K-27.
Maryland: Only been in the Capitol Heights metro station
Nevada: Only been on US 50
Oklahoma: Only been along the US 287 corridor

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 25, 2020, 03:48:14 AM
Never saw this thread until today.

Of the lower 48 states, the following states that I haven't been on an interstate would be:

Oregon: Was on U.S. 101 and U.S. 20 throughout the state (Might change this year) Happened in July 2023 when I drove on parts of I-5, I-84, and I-405 as well as a clinch on I-105 and I-205.
Montana: U.S. 20 for 10 miles (that could change this year) Happened in July 2020 when I drove on parts of I-90 and I-15 as well as a clinch on I-115 and unsigned I-315.
Hawaii and Alaska: Haven't been there yet

Former states that would be in this list would include:
Kansas: First time I did this drive, I was on U.S. 66 through Kansas (have since driven on the interstates through Kansas)
Texas: Was in Houston a few times before the U.S. 66 trip made me go on Interstate 40
New York: U.S. 20 first time visiting New York (interstates after that)

Been a while since I've updated this list, but Oregon is the only state that I haven't been on an interstate...

hbelkins

Looks like I failed to update this list for myself. Idaho gets scratched off my list; I've been on I-15, I-84, and I-184.

North Dakota gets added; I crossed the state on US 2 and didn't venture onto an interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

index

I've been to far eastern Kentucky, which has no Interstates. That's about it. Honorable mentions include airport layovers I had in Colorado and Texas, as well as when I passed through a corner of Washington State on a ferry.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Hobart

I have two states, all of them stretches!

When my family went to Yellowstone, we drove up US 89 to Gardner, Montana, and then turned around and returned to Wyoming.

I also had a layover in Louisiana for a return flight from the Bahamas trip my high school band went on.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

abefroman329

Iowa and, if you don't count I-5 from the Oregon border to SR 14, Washington State.

golden eagle

I've been to DC. Can't recall if I was on any of their interstates. I was on a tour bus.

Dough4872

I have been on an Interstate in all 21 states I have visited plus DC.

cockroachking

Michigan: M-66 from the IN state line to Sturgis and back twice for lunch
Mississippi: US-82 from the AL state line to Columbus and back, just 'cause

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 25, 2020, 03:48:14 AM
Never saw this thread until today.

Of the lower 48 states, the following states that I haven't been on an interstate would be:

Oregon: Was on U.S. 101 and U.S. 20 throughout the state Happened in July 2023
Montana: U.S. 20 for 10 miles (that could change this year) Happened in July 2020
Hawaii and Alaska: Haven't been there yet

Former states that would be on this list would include:
Kansas: The first time I did this drive, I was on U.S. 66 through Kansas (have since driven on the interstates through Kansas)
Texas: Was in Houston a few times before the U.S. 66 trip made me go on Interstate 40
New York: U.S. 20 first time visiting New York (interstates after that)

Updated this list (should've done this a while ago)! Hawaii will be off that list next month...

formulanone

Montana and Hawaii are now the only two remaining states I've visited, but have also not travelled upon an Interstate.

jlam

Forgot about this thread:

Kansas (K-27)
Maryland (Capitol Heights metro station)
Nevada (US 50) I have traveled along I-15 through the state as of May
Oklahoma (US 287)

The remaining three states are the states I've spent the fewest time in.

JayhawkCO

My answer hasn't changed, since I still have Hawai'i as the only state where I haven't, but I was trying to think of the first time I visited states, and which didn't include an interstate.

Colorado (on foot at Four Corners. We then continued and I traveled on I-25 and I-76 later in that trip, but I had since ceased to be in Colorado at least for a few minutes between my first entry and leaving the state)
Hawai'i (only transited HNL)
Michigan (transited DTW)
Nevada (transited LAS)
New York (transited ROC)
Pennsylvania (transited ABE)
Tennessee (transited MEM)
Utah (on foot at Four Corners in 1991. Didn't return to Utah until 2005 other than a few circles around the quadripoint)
Wisconsin (on US10 to go to Prescott, WI from my home in Hastings, MN)

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 29, 2024, 11:10:28 AM
My answer hasn't changed, since I still have Hawai'i as the only state where I haven't, but I was trying to think of the first time I visited states, and which didn't include an interstate.

In light of that...  I had probably driven all the way across Oklahoma a dozen times before ever using an Interstate in Oklahoma.  That's because those earlier trips were "all the way" across the panhandle.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

doorknob60

Wyoming: I've only been to the Yellowstone/Grand Teton/Jackson area

DC: Entered via US-50, left via Amtrak

I plan to cross the entirety of Kansas this summer on US-400. I'll also pop into Oklahoma at the tri-point, though "traveled through" is a stretch for that. That said, I'll probably ruin it a few days later in the trip when I visit Kansas City and likely use I-435 within Kansas.

Close call for Delaware I suppose, entered via I-295 but I got off on US-13 and entered Maryland on US-301.

Tennessee is another close call, the only stretch is I-40 from Foothills Pkwy to the NC border.

miclugo

Oklahoma - my wife is from a little town in Arkansas near the state line and far from any interstates, so we've  made a few trips over the border when we're there but never on an interstate.

Washington state - entered by plane, took public transit from Seattle airport to downtown and back.  I might have gotten in a cab at some point downtown but I don't think any freeways were involved.

freebrickproductions

I used to be able to claim Mississippi, but in 2022 I took I-10 into the state to get some crossings on the CSX NO&M Subdivision (and have since taken I-20/I-59 and I-22 in the state as well).

I believe the only states I've been to/through without using a (signed) interstate are Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Alaska.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

rlb2024

None for me.  I've been to every state except Alaska and have been on at least one Interstate highway in all 49 of them.

epzik8

Alabama, but it was an airport layover in Birmingham, with no road usage whatsoever.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

boilerup25

I count airport layovers, so for me, that would be an airport layover in Minnesota (Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport). I still haven't traveled on any mile of road in Minnesota, let alone an interstate highway in Minnesota.

As for former situations: I was able to claim Vermont for a day until I took I-89 to get between Waterbury, Burlington, and Enosburgh. I also claimed Illinois because I had a layover at O'Hare in 2016, but drove on I-90 in Illinois in 2021 (and have since used a multitude of interstates in Illinois).

TheStranger

When I originally posted in this thread, it was January 2020, before I and my friend went on our 22-state journey from SF to Daytona Beach, Florida for the Coke Zero 400 in 2021.  With that in mind, I now have three states that qualify for this - all due to using US routes as part of long journeys in that 2021 epic roadtrip!

CA: home state. all 2dis and all current 3dis
HI: I-H1
OR: I-5
WA: I-5
NV: I-80, I-580 (driven it after the 580 signs came pu), I-15, I-515/I-11
UT: I-80, I-15, possibly I-215
AZ: I-40, I-10
WY: I-80, I-25
CO: I-25, I-270
TX: I-35, I-40, I-35E, I-10
IL: I-90/I-94, I-190, I-55, I-70, I-64
TN: I-65, I-40, I-24
KY: I-64, I-65, I-71, I-264, I-265, I-75, I-275, (then-future I-165)
IN: I-65, I-70, I-69, I-64
OH: I-275, I-71, I-270, I-90, I-77
MD: I-95, I-495
DE: I-95, I-295
PA: I-95, I-676, then-future I-86
NY: I-90, I-190, I-290, I-88, then-future I-86, I-95, I-278, I-478, I-78
NJ: I-95, I-278, I-287, I-78, I-295
CT: I-95
RI: I-95
MA: I-90, I-93, I-95
NM: I-40, I-10
OK: I-40, I-235, I-44
MO: I-44, I-55
WV: I-64, I-77
VA: I-77/I-81
NC: I-77, I-74, I-40, I-73
SC: I-95
GA: I-516, I-95, I-75, I-85, I-20
FL: I-95, I-4
AL: I-20, I-65
AR: I-40/I-55

KS: used only former US 66 (and Alt US 69 which uses half of its path)
MS: used only US 72
LA: used only US 79 or US 80
Chris Sampang

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.