News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Runaway Truck Ramps

Started by thefraze_1020, December 04, 2015, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2023, 05:54:41 PM
Wouldn't a huge bump be a design feature in a runaway truck ramp?

It wouldn't, though, would it?  I imagine a huge bump might knock the truck over (causing unnecessary damage to the cargo and injury to the driver) or even launch it airborne (possibly causing it to overrun the end).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Looks like you're missing 7 from Colorado. We have 13 total.

US 141 Eastbound at Mile Point 18, 17 miles north of the Dove Creek area.
US 550 Eastbound at Mile Point 52 in the Coal Bank Pass area.
US 160 Westbound at Mile Point 160 in the Wolf Creek Pass area.
US 160 Westbound at Mile Point 162 in the Wolf Creek Pass area.
US 50 Westbound at Mile Point 194 in the Monarch Pass area.
US 50 Eastbound at Mile Point 204 in the Monarch Pass area.
I-70 Westbound at Mile Point 182 in the Vail Pass area.
I-70 Westbound at Mile Point 185 in the Vail Pass area.
I-70 Westbound at Mile Point 209, 3 miles east of the Silverthorne area.
I-70 Westbound at Mile Point 212, 1 mile west of the Eisenhower Tunnel area.
US 6 Eastbound at Mile Point 218, 2 miles west of Loveland Pass.
I-70 Eastbound at Mile Point 257 in the Mount Vernon Canyon area.
US 40 Westbound at Mile Point 142 in the Rabbit Ears Pass area.

Cite: https://mix1043fm.com/runaway-truck-ramps-colorado/#:~:text=When%20and%20Where%20Are%20Runaway,of%20the%20Dove%20Creek%20area.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2023, 06:52:11 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 09, 2023, 07:35:59 PMWith apologies for the huge bump

It wouldn't, though, would it?  I imagine a huge bump might knock the truck over (causing unnecessary damage to the cargo and injury to the driver) or even launch it airborne (possibly causing it to overrun the end).

In all seriousness, there are old-school ramps that consist of sand piles staggered along a strip, and yes, they can launch a truck, cause it to flip, or result in an abrupt deceleration not unlike a collision.  Though I think the Green Book may still provide design criteria, they were increasingly considered obsolete by the 1970's.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2023, 06:53:53 PMLooks like you're missing 7 from Colorado. We have 13 total.

SH 141 Eastbound at Mile Point 18, 17 miles north of the Dove Creek area.

Cite: https://mix1043fm.com/runaway-truck-ramps-colorado/#:~:text=When%20and%20Where%20Are%20Runaway,of%20the%20Dove%20Creek%20area.

Thanks for this.  The list previously given for Colorado did seem like it was missing several.  CDOT has its own list of runaway truck ramps, which also confirms.  (It says "14 records," and the CSV does list 14 locations, but the one at MP 256 on eastbound I-70 appears to have been listed twice.)

CDOT actively researches runaway truck ramp design, with a paper in 2008 dealing with care and feeding of arrestor beds and a research report in 2018 addressing broader issues, such as ramp use that results in hazmat releases and how to encourage drivers to use them in marginal cases.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

pderocco

I'm rather fond of the ghost one you can see in your rearview mirror, heading up I-5 past Castaic, CA:

https://goo.gl/maps/rvwDTSpwqabgqqR2A

It dates from when that side of I-5 was both sides of US-99.

roadman65

I'm surprised that Richmond, VA had one on the old Richmond Petersburg Turnpike at the former Belvedere Street Plaza being Richmond is very far away from the Mountains.  However slight hills to us cars are big deals for trucks who have to stop to pay a toll.

US 22 in Phillipsburg, NJ had a slight hill for worry for WB truckers heading into the Toll Plaza before the Delaware River Bridge but no ramp. Just warning signs at Ingersoll Street to warn truckers of the 1 mile grade.  However, NJDOT removed them according to latest GSV images.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on November 22, 2016, 02:48:33 PM
FIBistan..er..Illinois has at least one, believe it or not.

Chester; Not too sure how it is supposed to work.
So since the thread got bumped and the one below the Chester Bridge was previously mentioned back in 2016, there is the other one in Chester, also, along SB IL 3 approaching the south end of Truck Bypass Rd/Water St:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Mm6aqv8ZBwd1eS9a6?g_st=ic Advance signage
https://maps.app.goo.gl/oTZ1RiooNqE9biNR6?g_st=ic Ramp just beyond the Truck Bypass Rd intersection but before the RRXing

This one is mainly for coal trucks with a full coal load, as there is a coal MS River terminal not too far south of the runaway truck ramp along IL 3: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.867871,-89.7610826,833m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

GCrites

Quote from: pderocco on January 11, 2023, 12:53:15 AM
I'm rather fond of the ghost one you can see in your rearview mirror, heading up I-5 past Castaic, CA:

https://goo.gl/maps/rvwDTSpwqabgqqR2A

It dates from when that side of I-5 was both sides of US-99.

That's a good one! Tough to spot on your own especially if you're the one driving.

US 89

Utah has 15:

US 89 northbound at mile 497 west of Garden City
SR 30 westbound at MP 122 east of Laketown
US 89/91 southbound at MP 4 near Brigham City
I-80 westbound at MP 135 in Parleys Canyon
SR 111 northbound at MP 8 south of Magna
SR 224 northbound at MP 4 south of Park City
SR 199 westbound at MP 10 east of Dugway
US 191 southbound at MP 370 north of Vernal
US 191 southbound at MP 368 north of Vernal
I-70 eastbound at MP 16 west of Sevier
I-70 eastbound at MP 142 west of Green River
I-70 eastbound at MP 144 west of Green River
SR 20 westbound at MP 2
SR 143 northbound at MP 12 south of Parowan
SR 59 westbound at MP 21 east of Hurricane

Most of them are deep gravel and inclined up a hill. The one on 111 in Magna is not only oriented downhill, but it is also the only one in an urban area. If you're using that runaway ramp, you already blew the light at 4100 South right before it.

The one on 89 near Garden City is only a couple years old and was installed after five runaway vehicles crashed in Garden City in less than two years. Unlike the others, it uses a series of mechanical nets to catch and slow down runaway trucks.

J N Winkler

Quote from: US 89 on January 12, 2023, 09:15:04 AMUtah has 15:

US 89 northbound at mile 497 west of Garden City
SR 30 westbound at MP 122 east of Laketown
US 89/91 southbound at MP 4 near Brigham City
I-80 westbound at MP 135 in Parleys Canyon
SR 111 northbound at MP 8 south of Magna
SR 224 northbound at MP 4 south of Park City
SR 199 westbound at MP 10 east of Dugway
US 191 southbound at MP 370 north of Vernal
US 191 southbound at MP 368 north of Vernal
I-70 eastbound at MP 16 west of Sevier
I-70 eastbound at MP 142 west of Green River
I-70 eastbound at MP 144 west of Green River
SR 20 westbound at MP 2
SR 143 northbound at MP 12 south of Parowan
SR 59 westbound at MP 21 east of Hurricane

Most of them are deep gravel and inclined up a hill. The one on 111 in Magna is not only oriented downhill, but it is also the only one in an urban area. If you're using that runaway ramp, you already blew the light at 4100 South right before it.

The one on 89 near Garden City is only a couple years old and was installed after five runaway vehicles crashed in Garden City in less than two years. Unlike the others, it uses a series of mechanical nets to catch and slow down runaway trucks.

Thanks for the list!

The Garden City ramp puts us up to at least five of the same type in North America, the four others being on Ontario Hwy. 11 near North Bay, US 44 near Avon Mountain, Connecticut, SR 22 near Jackson, Wyoming, and SR 431 at Incline Village, Nevada.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cl94

Quote from: roadfro on January 10, 2016, 12:07:33 PM
2trailertrucker: After all our back and forth on Nevada's truck ramps, look what I just stumbled upon at NDOT's website while looking for something else...

http://www.nevadadot.com/Traveler_Info/Safety/Truck_Escape_Ramps.aspx
Four Nevada Truck Escape Ramps

SR 431 Mount Rose Highway (Mile Post WA 0.27)

US 50 (Mile Post CC 2.98)

US 50 (Mile Post CC 7.03)

SR 163 Laughlin Highway (Mile Post CL 17.3)

Since this thread has been bumped, I can confirm those are the only four in the state and I am quite familiar with the first three (since they involve my jurisdiction or commute).

Carson City Sheriff and NHP love sitting at the entrance of the second US 50 ramp to run radar. Hope nobody needs to use that ramp when they're there...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jay8g

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 11, 2023, 01:24:05 AM
So since the thread got bumped and the one below the Chester Bridge was previously mentioned back in 2016, there is the other one in Chester, also, along SB IL 3 approaching the south end of Truck Bypass Rd/Water St:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/oTZ1RiooNqE9biNR6?g_st=ic Ramp just beyond the Truck Bypass Rd intersection but before the RRXing

Am I missing something, or is the "ramp" the gravel road that leads off at a nearly 90° angle? Doesn't seem like that would be particularly usable in an actual runaway situation. Even the actual Water St intersection seems like it would be a better choice, being a more gradual turnoff that leads uphill, at least.

ilpt4u

Quote from: jay8g on January 15, 2023, 02:21:55 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on January 11, 2023, 01:24:05 AM
Am I missing something, or is the "ramp" the gravel road that leads off at a nearly 90° angle? Doesn't seem like that would be particularly usable in an actual runaway situation. Even the actual Water St intersection seems like it would be a better choice, being a more gradual turnoff that leads uphill, at least.
Yes, the runaway ramp is the gravel road on the right after Truck Bypass Rd/Water St

Truck Bypass Rd/Water St doesn't really go uphill - it leads right to the Mississippi Riverfront, just above water level (or below it during a rainy Spring!), tho the segment immediately off IL 3 does have an incline to it

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 10, 2023, 08:10:00 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2023, 06:52:11 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 09, 2023, 07:35:59 PMWith apologies for the huge bump

In all seriousness, there are old-school ramps that consist of sand piles staggered along a strip, and yes, they can launch a truck, cause it to flip, or result in an abrupt deceleration not unlike a collision.  Though I think the Green Book may still provide design criteria, they were increasingly considered obsolete by the 1970's.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2023, 06:53:53 PMLooks like you're missing 7 from Colorado. We have 13 total.

SH 141 Eastbound at Mile Point 18, 17 miles north of the Dove Creek area.

Thanks for this.  The list previously given for Colorado did seem like it was missing several.  CDOT has its own list of runaway truck ramps, which also confirms.  (It says "14 records," and the CSV does list 14 locations, but the one at MP 256 on eastbound I-70 appears to have been listed twice.)

CDOT actively researches runaway truck ramp design, with a paper in 2008 dealing with care and feeding of arrestor beds and a research report in 2018 addressing broader issues, such as ramp use that results in hazmat releases and how to encourage drivers to use them in marginal cases.

Wolf Creek is so good, it has it's own pamphlet, and logo.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

keithvh

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2023, 06:53:53 PM

The one in bold, it's not your error, but I think it's wrong.  I think that should be US-6 Westbound, 6 miles west of Loveland Pass (Mile Post 218 does look correct).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: keithvh on January 17, 2023, 03:59:53 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2023, 06:53:53 PM

The one in bold, it's not your error, but I think it's wrong.  I think that should be US-6 Westbound, 6 miles west of Loveland Pass (Mile Post 218 does look correct).

That's correct.

Also, I just noticed that the US550 is listed as eastbound but it's a N/S highway. I'll track that one down too.

zachary_amaryllis

To be truthful, I'd be interested in seeing either an account from a driver who's had to use one (certainly there's one among us), or, video of it happening.

I've heard they're pretty traumatic for both vehicle and driver, but considering the alternative, I get it.
clinched:

JoePCool14

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 17, 2023, 07:19:53 PM
To be truthful, I'd be interested in seeing either an account from a driver who's had to use one (certainly there's one among us), or, video of it happening.

I've heard they're pretty traumatic for both vehicle and driver, but considering the alternative, I get it.

Here's a decent report I just watched that features one, but it's third person perspective, so it may not be what you're looking for.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h5KgKebgkwk&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kkt

Thanks for posting that, JoePCool!

triplemultiplex

Haven't followed this too closely, so this may have been mentioned already, but of all places, there's a runaway truck ramp in Iowa:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.02900,-91.20356&z=15&t=S

As US 18 descends toward the Mississippi River, there's an escape ramp in case some flatland trucker gets caught off guard and gets going too fast for the first curve on the decent.
Considering the way some of those small time grain trucks drive, I can see them coming up on that hill too fast every once in a while.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

J N Winkler

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 17, 2023, 07:19:53 PMI've heard they're pretty traumatic for both vehicle and driver, but considering the alternative, I get it.

Sometimes the driver isn't around to tell the story--the SR 431 ramp in Nevada was rebuilt (gravel bed replaced by a cable arrestor system) after it stopped a runaway truck too quickly, causing the load to shift and crush the driver.

vegas1962

There's at least one in Michigan, this one on eastbound M-72 about a mile west of its intersection with M-22 west of downtown Traverse City. This stretch is more downhill than it looks, and anything that is unable to stop would take out a lot of cross traffic at the intersection and/or end up in Grand Traverse Bay.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7753257,-85.6545588,3a,24.5y,80.93h,90.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sP7_xDBG_ro1zLPzrz6vGiw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

GCrites

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 17, 2023, 09:03:36 PM

Here's a decent report I just watched that features one, but it's third person perspective, so it may not be what you're looking for.

Now That's the Inside Stuff! Been wondering about this since I was really little.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 17, 2023, 09:03:36 PM

That was .... intense. My god the amount of pants-filling that must take place when you go up one of those things. I'd be scared AF to do that, but considering the alternative... *visualizes truck sailing off the hairpin on wolf creek*
clinched:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.