News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I'm curious to know whether they also blocked off the cash lanes at any toll plazas that still have them, or otherwise blocked off lanes to ensure that the number of lanes through the toll plaza would remain the same as the number of lanes on the highway to either side of the toll plaza. That is, I recall my brother was in Florida for business during a prior hurricane–I think Hurricane Charley or Hurricane Wilma–and he and some colleagues wound up renting an SUV and driving back to the DC area after all the flights out and Amtrak trains were cancelled. He said the worst chokepoints were at the toll plazas because even though the tolls were suspended, nothing was done to block off toll lanes, so people spread out, stupidly thinking it was a chance to get ahead, and used all the lanes and it immediately caused traffic to slam to a stop because of their inability to merge back into the thru lanes in any sort of rational manner.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

At Polk, the three mainline plazas went AET this past Friday. What they did was close all but two, the same amount of lanes in the plaza match the overall lanes of the freeway.

Considering that as a former collector that most do not even slow down for the plaza including large semis.  Most keep the peddle to the meddle as I've seen cars approach the plaza not breaking but maintaining a 70 mph speed the whole time.  Adding more lanes would increase a 72 mph car use the other lanes to micro pass the 70 mph guy in front him drastically.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rickmastfan67

zzcarp

Not good. Per this article, it seems the missing stretch is on the final bridge rise to Sanibel Island. It also says the Pine Island bridge has been damaged as well.
So many miles and so many roads

1995hoo

Quote from: zzcarp on September 29, 2022, 09:36:20 AM
Not good. Per this article, it seems the missing stretch is on the final bridge rise to Sanibel Island. It also says the Pine Island bridge has been damaged as well.

When I see an article that repeatedly refers to "Fort Meyers" it makes me question the reporter's competence and the article's credibility....

1995hoo

Cross-posted from the Weather subforum thread about tracking tropical cyclones. This helicopter video has footage of the causeway.

https://twitter.com/SheriffLeeFL/status/1575529164899340289

Avalanchez71

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 29, 2022, 08:13:31 AM
https://twitter.com/weatherbryan/status/1575437689452695552

Isn't this the bridge that the county took over from the state?  I bet they wish they hadn't now.

Alps

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 30, 2022, 12:53:44 AM

Isn't this the bridge that the county took over from the state?  I bet they wish they hadn't now.
Federal dollars are paying either way

Rothman

Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2022, 12:58:53 AM

Federal dollars only come as a reimbursement.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zzcarp

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2022, 07:55:33 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 30, 2022, 12:58:53 AM

Federal dollars only come as a reimbursement.

Well, it's a toll bridge, so in theory it's not as big of a burden on the county per se. Maybe the state will step in and help fund the repair in the interim if for some reason the county cannot. And, yes, I'm sure some FEMA bucks will reimburse at the end of the day.
So many miles and so many roads

Sani

Former Sanibel resident here, so I can speak to this a bit...

The storm basically washed out the approaches on all three spans as well as the two man-made islands in the middle of the bay. The existing causeway opened in 2007 and replaced the original bridge, built in 1963. Per yesterday's update from the city, FDOT has contractors inspecting the bridge and looking at replacement options. I assume they're trying to determine whether there is any damage to the bridge structures that would require complete replacement, or if rebuilding the approaches and islands would be sufficient.

U.S. Rep. Byron Donalds was at the meeting and said FDOT and the feds have already agreed to fund the reconstruction or replacement. He promised the reconstruction would go quickly with minimal red tape. I don't know if it's feasible to just pull out the plans from 20 years ago and build it again, or if other changes will be required. I would assume they will want any replacement structure to be engineered to withstand another storm surge like this, since the causeway was supposed to be engineered to withstand exactly this sort of event.

The city/county/state are also looking into temporary ferry service options. The city has a contract with a barge company to bring heavy equipment and city vehicles over to the island, but obviously there are thousands of totaled cars on the island that will need to be removed, and no rebuilding can take place until there's a way to get all the materials and equipment to the island every day.

They raised the toll from $3 to $6 to fund the 2007 replacement, and I see now that they've added a $3 "administrative fee" for toll-by-plate without any option to pay cash. I would like to think they won't raise it any further once it reopens, especially if the feds are paying for much of it, but I guess we'll see. Once it reopens, please come visit our beautiful island again. Just make sure you have a SunPass.  :)

1995hoo

Quote from: Sani on October 04, 2022, 02:08:40 PM
.... Just make sure you have a SunPass.  :)

E-ZPass is now accepted as well!

Sani

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 04, 2022, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: Sani on October 04, 2022, 02:08:40 PM
.... Just make sure you have a SunPass.  :)

E-ZPass is now accepted as well!
Guess I'd better stay up here in Kansas until my K-TAG is added to the list. Maybe by 2030 or so, if we're lucky?

US 89

Due to the proliferation of all-electronic-toll roads down here and the fact that I do not technically own my car (it is in my parents' names) I am for the first time seriously considering getting a SunPass. I have never lived anywhere with a substantial amount of toll roads, much less cashless ones, so this whole thing is a bit new to me.

No real rush given there aren't any big toll roads in the immediate vicinity, but I'd like to be able to clinch/drive more around the state without having the awkward conversation with my parents about why they keep getting toll-by-plate bills from random roads across Florida in the mail.

74/171FAN

QuoteNo real rush given there aren't any big toll roads in the immediate vicinity, but I'd like to be able to clinch/drive more around the state without having the awkward conversation with my parents about why they keep getting toll-by-plate bills from random roads across Florida in the mail.

Yeah, that kept me from clinching the Triangle Expressway portion of NC 147 (now NC 885) and NC 540 in the summer of 2013 when I had my NCDOT internship because I had not gotten my EZPASS yet.  The former was not clinched until late 2020, and then the latter in late 2021.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

JoePCool14

Quote from: US 89 on October 04, 2022, 07:46:53 PM
Due to the proliferation of all-electronic-toll roads down here and the fact that I do not technically own my car (it is in my parents' names) I am for the first time seriously considering getting a SunPass. I have never lived anywhere with a substantial amount of toll roads, much less cashless ones, so this whole thing is a bit new to me.

No real rush given there aren't any big toll roads in the immediate vicinity, but I'd like to be able to clinch/drive more around the state without having the awkward conversation with my parents about why they keep getting toll-by-plate bills from random roads across Florida in the mail.

Heh, I feel the same way. I live near Chicago and I was clinching roads out west by Rockford (a decent distance away) and I needed to use the I-90 tollway but knew that registering a toll that far away would look ridiculous. I'm going to get my own I-PASS soon though, since I have to use it daily for work. Right now, I have a transponder on my parents' account so we are at least getting the reduced rate.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Plutonic Panda

Alps

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Alps on October 05, 2022, 10:42:24 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 05, 2022, 09:38:36 PM
Looks like a new 7 mile bridge will be built in the keys: https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/new-seven-mile-bridge-in-the-works-for-florida-keys/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab
as long as they keep the old one
I've never been to the Keys(yet). How is the traffic congestion along the bridges?

Alps

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 05, 2022, 11:09:18 PM
Looks like a new 7 mile bridge will be built in the keys: https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/new-seven-mile-bridge-in-the-works-for-florida-keys/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=news_tab
I've never been to the Keys(yet). How is the traffic congestion along the bridges?
The entire length should be 4 lanes. You get stuck behind one elderly couple driving an overloaded RV and the 5-mile long train of vehicles does 35 mph the whole way down and back. But I meant the "old one" as in the part you can walk on (for $)

Dirt Roads

If I read it correctly, the article indicated that the current Seven-Mile Bridge will be removed.  Not sure how building a new new non-redundant structure will give Key West residents any assurance that they the bridge will survive a huge storm.  On the other hand, In my world I am supposed to look at "single-point failures".  One big rogue wave could take out the same section of both the old bridge and the new one. 

By the way, the old Seven-Bridge is still there, but missing two sections.  A lot of the old sections are barely hanging on.  But the east end got a fairly recent upgrade, after problems caused the folks with beach houses on Pigeon Island to have to walk for a while.  That section is only open to golf carts and ATVs (probably for homeowners only).

Alps

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 06, 2022, 12:06:10 PM

If I read it correctly, the article indicated that the current Seven-Mile Bridge will be removed.  Not sure how building a new new non-redundant structure will give Key West residents any assurance that they the bridge will survive a huge storm.  On the other hand, In my world I am supposed to look at "single-point failures".  One big rogue wave could take out the same section of both the old bridge and the new one. 

By the way, the old Seven-Bridge is still there, but missing two sections.  A lot of the old sections are barely hanging on.  But the east end got a fairly recent upgrade, after problems caused the folks with beach houses on Pigeon Island to have to walk for a while.  That section is only open to golf carts and ATVs (probably for homeowners only).
It's the north end that was open to the public, which probably equals the east end. You can park there for a few dollars to walk it.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2022, 12:13:51 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 05, 2022, 11:09:18 PM
The entire length should be 4 lanes. You get stuck behind one elderly couple driving an overloaded RV and the 5-mile long train of vehicles does 35 mph the whole way down and back. But I meant the "old one" as in the part you can walk on (for $)

I don't get in a hurry when I go to the Keys so I don't let the traffic bother me.  However, I will decide to take either Card Sound Rd/CR 905A/CR 905 or US 1 (SR 5) to Key Largo depending on the traffic.  US 1 is safer; however, as the lanes are wider and there are flyover ramps that avoid a couple of old resorts.

If traffic gets backed up I find something to do and pull off.  There are myriad of unique shops and some parks along the way.

rickmastfan67

Crazy how fast they've gotten temporary repairs done for the Sanibel Causeway.  They just had a Electrical Convoy crew cross it today (10/11)!  Should have it reopened to residents to use the bridge again by 10/21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usqItLbKTHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVx9x49EFNc

Max Rockatansky

By temporary it really is just that.  Basically the entire interim repairs are just piled landfill closing the gaps in the bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.