News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: VTGoose on January 23, 2023, 11:47:01 AM
We've been to both in Florida and can now say "We've been to Buc-ee's" -- both were like Walmart and Best Buy wrapped up together on Black Friday, both in the parking lot and in the store. The brisket is good but not worth the anxiety.
I finally got to the Buc-ee's in Daytona Beach, and I bought their Jalapeno flavored potato chips. I've got four words for them;

WAY
TOO
MUCH
SALT.

It got so bad, I bought a one quart bottle of chocolate milk from another convenience store to dilute it.

formulanone

Quote from: NJRoadfan on March 09, 2023, 07:53:47 PM
Heh, someone in Florida figured out what a reverse jug handle is: https://goo.gl/maps/gdYZ4DBoBWLc8yto9

All that is missing is the "ALL TURNS FROM RIGHT LANE" sign.

Quote from: Jaxrunner on March 10, 2023, 12:03:38 AM
I live near that reverse jug handle but fortunately never made a turn there. Going eastbound on Atlantic Blvd you would have to go through the traffic light and then turn in the jug handle and then go through the same light Lyons Rd. Broward County roads are interesting.

I also used to live about 20 minutes away from it, and tried all of the loops just for "fun", since they're anomalies. I think I tried the westbound Atlantic onto southbound Lyons ramp exactly once.

Lyons Road also has that reverse contraflow turn lane at Sawgrass a few miles to the north, which is also a weird feature.

D-Dey65

Heh, someone in Florida figured out what a reverse jug handle is: https://goo.gl/maps/gdYZ4DBoBWLc8yto9

Quote from: Alex on March 03, 2023, 08:05:52 AM
However with as slow as some of these DOT projects go, related to funding, required environmental study, the design process, told my Dad it would likely be ten years before anything would be done...

Maybe start by adding another "penny for Pinellas".... because inflation.
Let me show you a little something from FL 559 between Polk City and Auburndale;
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.1509532,-81.8003367,510m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

NJRoadfan

The Streetview images aren't recent enough, but there is a temporary jug handle on Old Grade Rd. north of the I-4 interchange to allow northbound traffic to access the westbound onramp.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 29, 2023, 08:36:40 AM

Quote from: Alex on March 03, 2023, 08:05:52 AM
However with as slow as some of these DOT projects go, related to funding, required environmental study, the design process, told my Dad it would likely be ten years before anything would be done...

Maybe start by adding another "penny for Pinellas".... because inflation.
Let me show you a little something from FL 559 between Polk City and Auburndale;
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.1509532,-81.8003367,510m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I guess that jughandle is for U-turns only.

Plutonic Panda

That's cool. Isn't something like this proposed in the state of Washington? Doesn't seem like too many of these around the states. I've never been through one.

https://twitter.com/jerryhume/status/1643582452495949827

rickmastfan67

Please try to remember to strip any extra text off of Twitter tweets now. Our new Twitter parser doesn't like it sadly.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 09, 2023, 09:47:59 AM
Please try to remember to strip any extra text off of Twitter tweets now. Our new Twitter parser doesn't like it sadly.
Thanks. I was wondering why the Tweet wasn't showing.

VTGoose

Made the trip home from St. Petersburg yesterday and got to drive on the "test pavement" on U.S. 301 south of Baldwin. The only warning of the shift was a "Construction Ahead" sign, not the message board, and orange barrels marking the lane shift. Not sure if any testing was being done or if this is in prep for some work. That was about the only highlight of the trip (I-95 in Georgia and S. Carolina was a parking lot, so a lot of back-country travel).

Bruce, back in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

NE2

It seems that maintenance of SR 845 has been truncated to the Broward-Palm Beach County line. It no longer appears in the GIS data or SLDs for Palm Beach, and some (but not all) signs have been removed:
2019 vs. 2022
still signed in 2023
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

rickmastfan67

Some button copy still lives in Jacksonville in 2023!
https://goo.gl/maps/nwRTnMcU8CZKGQAS8

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on April 17, 2023, 07:20:35 PM
It seems that maintenance of SR 845 has been truncated to the Broward-Palm Beach County line. It no longer appears in the GIS data or SLDs for Palm Beach, and some (but not all) signs have been removed:
2019 vs. 2022
still signed in 2023

Until that End sign on Powerline/Jog Road went up a few years ago, SR 845 had always been very sparsely signed in Palm Beach County.

kernals12

FDOT has started converting a portion of US 19 in Pinellas County into a controlled access freeway.

QuotePINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. – The Florida Department of Transportation has started construction on a road improvement project in Pinellas County along U.S. 19, from S.R. 580 to north of Curlew Road.

The $242.6 million project has been years in the making to improve traffic flow and safety.

Right now, the area is a six-lane divided highway. FDOT is going to change it to a controlled access roadway and add interchanges and frontage roads.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kernals12 on April 24, 2023, 10:36:41 PM
FDOT has started converting a portion of US 19 in Pinellas County into a controlled access freeway.

QuotePINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. – The Florida Department of Transportation has started construction on a road improvement project in Pinellas County along U.S. 19, from S.R. 580 to north of Curlew Road.

The $242.6 million project has been years in the making to improve traffic flow and safety.

Right now, the area is a six-lane divided highway. FDOT is going to change it to a controlled access roadway and add interchanges and frontage roads.

It's about time! I hope they extend it through Pasco County into southern Hernando County.

On another issue, I've been doing some FL 100 research lately, and I realize there's no signs marking the point where that route crosses the Putnam-Flagler County Line.

There's also still no evidence that the route is overlapped by SR 20. Either post the signs or truncate the route in Palatka.

roadman65

When is US 19 in Crystal River to be completed? That's been for ever them working on it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I guess I should have made it a priority to note this covered shield (I presume for a future reroute of FL 54).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

FLRoads

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 29, 2023, 05:20:51 PM
I guess I should have made it a priority to note this covered shield (I presume for a future reroute of FL 54).
As written in the post, it was for the Zephyrhills Bypass, which would have been a reroute of SR 54 to the north of the city. But both FDOT and Pasco County have long given up those plans for other road projects (i.e. SR 56 extension and Overpass Road). By the way, that sign assembly has been there for a little over 11 years with the one covered up...

NE2

Looks like the Zephyrhills Bypass was delayed, but supposedly it will partly open this year: https://neighborhoodnewsonline.net/can-2023-top-2022-in-wesley-chapel-sure-why-not/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on April 29, 2023, 06:17:12 PM
Looks like the Zephyrhills Bypass was delayed, but supposedly it will partly open this year: https://neighborhoodnewsonline.net/can-2023-top-2022-in-wesley-chapel-sure-why-not/
The part of the bypass that will open (or has opened as Google had it driven in February) is part of Chapel Crossing housing development just east of where SR 54 turns southeast. It's one lane in each direction with a 30 mph speed limit. In fact, the swath of land the bypass uses is no longer owned by Pasco County, but by the Chapel Crossings Community Development District (conveyed to them in March 2021 by Thornwood Associates LLC according to Pasco County Property Appraiser website).

As I mentioned, Pasco County (nor FDOT) has any interest to build the bypass at this time. Though from January 2019, this news article indicated that the bypass would be no longer programmed in Pasco County's 15 year Transportation Capital Plan. At that time they were focusing on SR 56 and Overpass Road. Their attention is now turning to completing the Ridge Road extension, and pushing it further east to U.S. 41. And the fact that Pasco County has sold off two more areas of land for the bypass to developers solidifies their current position on any sort of usable alternative for Zephyrhills.

Not sure why the developer chose to keep Zephyrhills Bypass as the name, but it will not serve as a legitimate bypass as intended, nor will it be a realigned SR 54.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52858882612
Is SF a good abbreviation considering that you have to research it to find that SF means Space Force?

FYI in December 2020 the official name of Canaveral Air Force Station ( previously Cape Canaveral AFS and before that Cape Kennedy AFS) became Canaveral Space Force Station due to the Trump Administration or Congress ( don't know which one made it for sure) changing it in 2020 to promote the US dedication to space exploration.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Since I've never been on SR 100 east of Bunnell, who has info on this pedestrian bridge being built east of I-95? GSV's latest coverage date is July 2022, so am I to assume it's finished?

BTW, I see very little evidence of an old railroad line there.

FLRoads

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 04, 2023, 11:33:57 AM
Since I've never been on SR 100 east of Bunnell, who has info on this pedestrian bridge being built east of I-95? GSV's latest coverage date is July 2022, so am I to assume it's finished?

BTW, I see very little evidence of an old railroad line there.
Here are three articles on the pedestrian bridge:
Construction to begin July 26 for pedestrian bridge over State Road 100 to link network of trails

Pedestrian bridge to be built over SR 100, enhancing Flagler trail system

Bridge over State Road 100 gateway to robust trail system

The first two were released at the beginning of the project in July 2021 while the third article is an update from April 28th, as it's still being worked on. I couldn't find in any of the articles a completion date of the FDOT funded bridge.

D-Dey65

Quote from: flaroads on April 30, 2023, 12:00:42 PM
The part of the bypass that will open (or has opened as Google had it driven in February) is part of Chapel Crossing housing development just east of where SR 54 turns southeast. It's one lane in each direction with a 30 mph speed limit. In fact, the swath of land the bypass uses is no longer owned by Pasco County, but by the Chapel Crossings Community Development District (conveyed to them in March 2021 by Thornwood Associates LLC according to Pasco County Property Appraiser website).

As I mentioned, Pasco County (nor FDOT) has any interest to build the bypass at this time. Though from January 2019, this news article indicated that the bypass would be no longer programmed in Pasco County's 15 year Transportation Capital Plan. At that time they were focusing on SR 56 and Overpass Road. Their attention is now turning to completing the Ridge Road extension, and pushing it further east to U.S. 41. And the fact that Pasco County has sold off two more areas of land for the bypass to developers solidifies their current position on any sort of usable alternative for Zephyrhills.

Not sure why the developer chose to keep Zephyrhills Bypass as the name, but it will not serve as a legitimate bypass as intended, nor will it be a realigned SR 54.
Well, that sucks. I would've like to have seen SR 54 and CR 54 merged together without the overlap onto CR 579.

Plutonic Panda

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.