News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is it with highways numbered 74?

Started by Scott5114, January 21, 2010, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

I've always thought it would make more sense to put I-74 on an upgraded AA Highway in KY, anyway.  More direct route to Ashland/Huntington.

shoptb1

Quote from: xonhulu on January 23, 2010, 08:01:00 PM
I've always thought it would make more sense to put I-74 on an upgraded AA Highway in KY, anyway.  More direct route to Ashland/Huntington.

That definitely would avoid ODOT's reluctance to embrace the project; maybe have I-74 overtake the existing I-471 to the intersection with I-275, where it would basically follow US-27 (Alexandria Pike) down to the AA highway?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 23, 2010, 05:45:50 PM
Quote from: osu-lsu on January 23, 2010, 03:46:32 PM
It later became Oh 32 and was 4 laned as part of the Apalachain Highway, which has now been considered for I-74's eastern extension.

Really?  I thought the whole thing had pretty much been written off by ODOT.

It's dead.  But once on the books, any project can be "raised from the dead." 
Ex: The Oh 161 New Albany Bypass.  Shown in the 1973 MORPC Columbus transportation plan, never thought of till Les Wexner & friends came up with the Easton Development in NE Columbus back in the late 90s.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SSOWorld

WIS 74 abruptly ends at the Milwaukee County Line and becomes a county trunk highway - no other state highway or county highway intersects at that point.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

florida

Quote from: kurumi on January 21, 2010, 11:22:17 PM
I remember circa 1977 that PGA Blvd in North Palm Beach was marked "S-74" at the time (it's now SR 786).

Also, there were two other sections of S-74s, west of there, which are county routes today.
So many roads...so little time.

Dougtone

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on January 21, 2010, 11:01:45 PM
New Jersey Route 74 was never built but is still in state legislature.

Quote from: xcellntbuy on January 21, 2010, 10:14:42 PM
Forty years ago, NY 74 from the Adirondack Northway east to Ticonderoga was actually signed as NY 73 and aptly passes through the town and lake named Paradox. :-D

Well, current NY 74's been that. Also, NY 74's short portion to the ferry was once NY 347.

And of course, NY 74's extension into Vermont, VT 74 also ends at a ferry crossing.  That's probably the most notable thing that VT 74 does.

Then there's PA 74, which is a fairly normal state highway, which starts in the mountains, then goes through Carlisle and York on its way to the Maryland state line.

hbelkins

KY 74 is a relatively innocuous state route. It begins at US 25E in Middlesboro at the foot of Cumberland Gap, and runs west, crosses a mountain, and becomes TN 90 at the state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.