News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What is the worst kind of COLD?

Started by thspfc, April 04, 2022, 08:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the worst kind of cold?

40 & high winds
7 (16.3%)
35 & rain
30 (69.8%)
30 & snow
3 (7%)
15 & clear/low winds
3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

TheHighwayMan3561

We have the saying "you know it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the wind".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 23, 2022, 05:00:32 PM

And then the other person replies with "oh yah, you betcha".  Because Minnesota.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

zachary_amaryllis

The coldness of people who don't tip delivery drivers in this weather.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

epzik8

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 23, 2022, 05:00:32 PM
It's one of my favorite sayings, especially right now.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Road Hog

I think most of us agree wind trumps everything else in winter misery. If it's 25ºF and perfectly still, it's great outdoor weather. If it's 35ºF and the wind is blowing at 30 mph, you go inside and drink.

Rothman

Quote from: Road Hog on December 25, 2022, 01:14:27 AM
I think most of us agree wind trumps everything else in winter misery. If it's 25ºF and perfectly still, it's great outdoor weather. If it's 35ºF and the wind is blowing at 30 mph, you go inside and drink.
Dampness is worse than wind.  31° and raining is worse than -10° and snow.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

A couple of inches of ice all over every surface.

achilles765

Biting heavy wind mixed with cold.
That said, I absolutely love the cold weather. I grew up in south Louisiana and now live in Houston so obviously I don't get to enjoy too much cold weather (aside from the annual hard freezes we apparently now have). But I also have been to New York and New England in January multiple times and was very comfortable. I love cold weather. I don't even break out long sleeves until it's below 50, and even then it's usually just a hoodie or a sweater. I have only a space heater for the bedroom.
As I type this; it's currently 52 here and I am in shorts and a tank top in my bedroom with no heater on. So bring on the cold haha.

That said I don't think I'd like that Chicago/Minneapolis type of cold where it's windy and bitterly cold.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

kkt

I'm just giggling at 50 being cold.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kkt on January 21, 2023, 12:22:04 PM

An eighth of an inch is enough to bring chaos.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 03, 2023, 03:44:29 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 21, 2023, 12:22:04 PM

An eighth of an inch is enough to bring chaos.

In most of the country, a quarter inch of ice is the criteria for an ice storm warning and is enough to shut down a city.

Places that don't get freezing rain much, it's even worse - especially if those places get enough regular snow that people think they know what they're doing. As an example, I remember one storm we had in Salt Lake really well - the storm came in a little warmer than forecast at higher levels, so instead of the initially forecast 1-2 inches of snow, we got 0.09" of ice. The airport shut down, there were something like 500 recorded car accidents...I don't think the airport would shut down completely for even 9 inches of snow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.