News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs on exit ramps for places not referenced on the freeway before the exit

Started by KCRoadFan, August 13, 2022, 11:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Near where I live, on the US 69 freeway in Overland Park, KS, there is a sign on the off-ramp at the 135th Street exit that points to Grandview and Olathe - even though the signage on the freeway itself, leading up to the exit, makes no mention of either location beforehand.

Throughout the country, where else have you seen freeway exits where the signage on the exit ramp makes reference to towns or other destinations that weren't previously mentioned on either the main exit sign or on the supplementary guide signs on the freeway prior to the exit? I'm sure there are several examples.

jp the roadgeek

CT 9 Exit 19 (future 27) NB has guide signs for both Berlin and New Britain for CT 372 WB.  Yet 5 feet in back of it is a BGS for the CT 9 NB entrance ramp with a control city of...New Britain :spin:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

NY 590 Exit 7: Penfield is signed on the off-ramps, but the freeway signage reads NY 286/Browncroft Blvd with no mention of Penfield.

IowaTraveler

At the interchange between I-380 and US 30 in Cedar Rapids, the flyover ramp from southbound I-380 to eastbound US 30 has another ramp that splits from it to exit to Kirkwood Blvd/Bowling St. However, there is absolutely no mention of this until you've already exited from I-380.
The only hint at this on mainline I-380 is a ground-mounted sign for Kirkwood Community College, although that sign isn't even that helpful since it just says to take exit 16, and both EB and WB US 30 are accessed from the same exit.

kirbykart

At the end of the US 219 expressway in NY, the "exit" is just labeled as Peters Road, but there is a sign pointing to West Valley at the end of the ramp.

andrepoiy

I would say that this is quite common in Ontario because Ontario does not sign control cities in urban/suburban areas.

As such, here's an example:

Gantry

On the ramp:

Ned Weasel

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 13, 2022, 11:05:41 AM
Near where I live, on the US 69 freeway in Overland Park, KS, there is a sign on the off-ramp at the 135th Street exit that points to Grandview and Olathe - even though the signage on the freeway itself, leading up to the exit, makes no mention of either location beforehand.

The advance guide signs and exit direction signs for that interchange used to mention Olathe and Grandview, back when 135th Street was K-150.

EDIT:

Oh, here are a couple of other ones here in Kansas worth mentioning:

Exits 76 and 92 on I-35/Kansas Turnpike.  Exit 76's guide signs only show El Dorado and El Dorado Lake (and Nick Badwey Memorial Interchange), but the destination sign after the toll plaza also points to Junction City (https://goo.gl/maps/N8PRfDhAChZWp6Ei6), which makes sense, because northbound US 77 does go to Junction City.  Exit 92's guide signs only show Cassoday, but the destination sign after the toll plaza also shows Manhattan and Newton (https://goo.gl/maps/3Cubxh7ipSuggksx6).  Manhattan makes sense, because northbound K-177 does go to Manhattan, Kansas.  But Newton??  WTF???  That's one hell of a weird way to get to Newton from that point, and I don't think there are even any guide signs on southbound K-177 that tell you how to get to Newton from there (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that last part).
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Ned Weasel on October 02, 2022, 09:51:51 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 13, 2022, 11:05:41 AM

The advance guide signs and exit direction signs for that interchange used to mention Olathe and Grandview, back when 135th Street was K-150.

EDIT:

Oh, here are a couple of other ones here in Kansas worth mentioning:

Exits 76 and 92 on I-35/Kansas Turnpike.  Exit 76's guide signs only show El Dorado and El Dorado Lake (and Nick Badwey Memorial Interchange), but the destination sign after the toll plaza also points to Junction City (https://goo.gl/maps/N8PRfDhAChZWp6Ei6), which makes sense, because northbound US 77 does go to Junction City.  Exit 92's guide signs only show Cassoday, but the destination sign after the toll plaza also shows Manhattan and Newton (https://goo.gl/maps/3Cubxh7ipSuggksx6).  Manhattan makes sense, because northbound K-177 does go to Manhattan, Kansas.  But Newton??  WTF???  That's one hell of a weird way to get to Newton from that point, and I don't think there are even any guide signs on southbound K-177 that tell you how to get to Newton from there (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that last part).

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0437957,-96.63931,3a,37.5y,205.98h,84.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8rYhGNjwtwLRu6Z8gYicPg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Yes, there is one...

epzik8

On the latest street view, August 2018, the end of the ramps from I-83 to PA 851 have New Freedom and Stewartstown marked in addition to Shrewsbury from the exit signs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7709801,-76.667024,3a,37.5y,5.38h,84.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skY9kCn2HPUNlcVVPdVkRCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kirbykart

Quote from: epzik8 on October 03, 2022, 07:24:41 AM
On the latest street view, August 2018, the end of the ramps from I-83 to PA 851 have New Freedom and Stewartstown marked in addition to Shrewsbury from the exit signs.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7709801,-76.667024,3a,37.5y,5.38h,84.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skY9kCn2HPUNlcVVPdVkRCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I love that Helvetica street blade!  :bigass:

Quote from: IowaTraveler on August 13, 2022, 04:33:11 PM
At the interchange between I-380 and US 30 in Cedar Rapids, the flyover ramp from southbound I-380 to eastbound US 30 has another ramp that splits from it to exit to Kirkwood Blvd/Bowling St. However, there is absolutely no mention of this until you've already exited from I-380.
Similar thing in Albany at what I call the Circle Interchange (I-787 @ Dunn Memorial Bridge/US 9-20). Exit 3 NB on I-787 just states US 9-20 East, but once you get on the ramp, there is another split to the Empire State Plaza that was not mentioned before.

KCRoadFan

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 02, 2022, 09:17:18 PM
I would say that this is quite common in Ontario because Ontario does not sign control cities in urban/suburban areas.

Gantry

On the ramp:

These signs brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department - or Ministry of Redundancy Ministry, as Ontario would call it.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 03, 2022, 01:39:22 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0437957,-96.63931,3a,37.5y,205.98h,84.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8rYhGNjwtwLRu6Z8gYicPg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Yes, there is one...

Thanks!  I had no idea.  I wouldn't have thought a county road would be signed for anything more than a few miles away, but there you have it.

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 03, 2022, 10:04:52 AM
These signs brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department - or Ministry of Redundancy Ministry, as Ontario would call it.

That's just the Ontario branch of the same folks who brought us https://goo.gl/maps/ueYTP77zpczGtmnz8 and (formerly) https://goo.gl/maps/YLnz3f1Ccj6BFGZP7 .
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

vdeane

Quote from: kirbykart on October 03, 2022, 09:53:53 AM
Similar thing in Albany at what I call the Circle Interchange (I-787 @ Dunn Memorial Bridge/US 9-20). Exit 3 NB on I-787 just states US 9-20 East, but once you get on the ramp, there is another split to the Empire State Plaza that was not mentioned before.
Ummm....
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kirbykart

Quote from: vdeane on October 03, 2022, 01:18:39 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on October 03, 2022, 09:53:53 AM
Ummm....
I guess I'm remembering wrong then, I could have sworn that sign had no mention of the Empire State Plaza!

andrepoiy

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 03, 2022, 10:04:52 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on October 02, 2022, 09:17:18 PM

Gantry

[image snipped]

On the ramp:

[image snipped]

The reason why this is signed this way is that the legal name of the road is "Highway 7".

If there is no road name attached, it would technically be called "Regional Road 7".

For example, this road has no other legal name, and so is technically called "Regional Road 25".

hbelkins

This happens occasionally in West Virginia. The Milton exit on I-64 erroneously has US 60 signed as the intersecting route instead of the proper county route, but signage at the end of the ramp points to both Milton and Mt. Olive.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on October 04, 2022, 11:41:32 PM
This happens occasionally in West Virginia. The Milton exit on I-64 erroneously has US 60 signed as the intersecting route instead of the proper county route, but signage at the end of the ramp points to both Milton and Mt. Olive.

In my opinion, this is the rule in West Virginia.  Many roads have Control Destinations, but the Control City shown on the BGS is considered to be the "Exit Name".  But when you get off the exit, WVDOH is going to try to provide Control Destinations for both directions, if any make sense.

Warning:  This list is the exact opposite of what the OP asked for.  Most of the rest of West Virginia's exits indeed have signs on exit ramps for places not shown on the BGS.  It's easier to list the ones that don't meet the requirements.

Very few exits show both Control Destinations for an intersecting route.  The few exceptions are when the exit is between Control Destinations that are nearby in both directions.  Four that come to mind are on I-79:

Exit 62 - Sutton / Gassaway
Exit 79 - Burnsville / Glenville
Exit 99 - Weston / Buckhannon
Exit 119 - Clarksburg / Bridgeport

The only one with BGS Control Destinations shown for both directions on I-64 is:

Exit 143 - Meadow Bridge / Green Sulphur Springs

There are three of these on I-77:

Exit 28 - Ghent / Flat Top
Exit 114 - Sissonville / Pocatalico
Exit 170 - Mineralwells / Parkersburg

Plus one on I-81:

Exit 23 - Marlowe / Falling Waters

Last I heard, there was talk about re-signing the BGSs for Exit 132 on I-79 for White Hall in addition to South Fairmont.  Not sure if that ever happened.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.