News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why are people here way to serious

Started by roadman65, November 09, 2022, 06:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

Any quotes more than 5 layers. Maybe even continuously subtract half a point every time someone replies once over 5. What's the point of doing that when you can't even see the content of the earlier quotes anymore because they are so mashed together? Notice I don't quote that much.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on December 05, 2022, 07:57:52 PM
MMM you defend peoples criticism way too much.

You obsess over your ideas way too much.
Instead of moving onto the next idea or accepting that no one likes your proposals, you keep pushing it. You suggest things from outer space like many of your cartoonish ideas about dealing with trucks.  You used Jules Verne logic about going through the Core.

You post way too much with non quality posts.  You won't let any of us get the last word. You keep yourself stuck in neutral all the time trying to get the last word for yourself.  It seems you lack empathy.

And this is from the guy who started the topic.

MMM, please listen.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 11:05:05 PM
I'm not trying to reach any specific number, but I am curious what the tag turns into at 1000?

Expressway.

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 11:11:11 PM
I would probably find a display of the lowest route number a person hasn't been on to be a more useful proxy for experience than post count, to be honest.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2022, 11:14:20 PM
This would actually speak to experience with a huge degree of accuracy.

Crap.  Mine is only 26.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on December 06, 2022, 04:11:19 AM
MMM don't take it personally.  Yes, we tell you straight, but your not disliked as much as your persistence is not appreciated.

We welcome input on here and would like to see you interact, but not being ridiculous when you do and rehash the same proposals and rebut the same rebuttals after every critique you get.

Very well put.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 06, 2022, 09:21:25 AM
Long ass quotes: Negative .5 per post, it's so annoying trying to read through those.

|mrsman| might not appreciate that very much.   :biggrin:

Fictional Highway Topics: 2 per post

Fictional should most definitely not be worth more than regular posts.  As we've already highlighted, this forum is primarily about the real world.  Fictional is hidden to non-members for a reason.

FritzOwl quoting and answering your question: 5 Free Points

This actually gets complicated.  Usually, when |FritzOwl| quotes you, his "reply" doesn't actually address the issue or question you brought up in the quoted post.
Male pronouns, please.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 10:41:05 AM
I would probably find a display of the lowest route number a person hasn't been on to be a more useful proxy for experience than post count, to be honest.

Crap.  Mine is only 26.

Mine is only 1, so make of that what you will.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

MultiMillionMiler

It would have to address the question. Otherwise, Fritz would lose a full point. The fact that he never once posted a map of long island drives me nuts..

NWI_Irish96

Posting about Alanland gets you points and also doesn't get you points.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 06, 2022, 10:43:42 AM

Crap.  Mine is only 26.

I "think"  the number I calculated is as in the high 300s.  I know that I had to sit down and think about it for the low number thread since I don't have a travel map (speaking of things against the grain).

kphoger

Never been on Halsted south of I-57, huh?  (although, come to think of it, I don't think I've been on IL-1 north of Lawrenceville)

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 06, 2022, 10:51:09 AM
I don't have a travel map (speaking of things against the grain).

Same here.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Crap.  Mine is only 26.

I "think"  the number I calculated is as in the high 300s.  I know that I had to sit down and think about it for the low number thread since I don't have a travel map (speaking of things against the grain).

At this point, I don't know that I could accurately create one, given all the traveling I've done. I don't even know that I could look at a map and recreate all my trips.

Of course, I still don't like the fact that you have to type out arcane stuff instead of just being able to click on a map, but that ship sailed (that car drove off?) long ago and I'm never going to win that one.

The only clinches I really keep track of are Interstate and US routes, in their entirety and by state, and the West Virginia primary system, plus Kentucky's one- and two-digit state routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 11:30:16 AM

Same here.

Actually, Travel Mapping is against the grain in general. It's only not against the grain here. And even so, TM only has 355 users with logged travels, compared to about 2300 users with at least one post here.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2022, 12:41:43 AM
You're old enough that you can start really traveling now and getting to see the real thing. I was your age when I entered my 77th and final Oklahoma county. Believe me, getting to see the world in person is a lot more fun than reading about roads on a forum, and you learn a lot more about a place seeing it yourself instead of hearing about it second hand.
I'm just now starting to experience this in the past several months. This year alone, I've visited two new states, 48 new counties (and counting), clinched at least 10 new routes, and logged over 1000 miles of new mileage. It's really fun to get out there and see new places. It's taking a picture of that sign with arrows pointing the wrong direction rather than just posting a GSV of it. It's making a detour in your route to get a new number for the "lowest number you haven't been on" thread, rather than getting down about how your number for that thread is. It's taking a 4-hour day trip to see new states, rather than taking a GSV road trip. It's going out to a road construction site rather than reading about it here. And honestly, I can't help but feel that I'm really getting down to the core of roadgeeking.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on December 06, 2022, 11:42:37 AM
Of course, I still don't like the fact that you have to type out arcane stuff instead of just being able to click on a map, but that ship sailed (that car drove off?) long ago and I'm never going to win that one.

Actually, you can pretty much just click on a map with Travel Mapping's .list tool. That allows you to click on the segments you've traveled to auto-generate the script, then select copy, and paste to your .list file.

It's a great tool and my updates have gotten much faster thanks to Jim tipping me off on it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 11:30:16 AM

Same here.

Actually, Travel Mapping is against the grain in general. It's only not against the grain here. And even so, TM only has 355 users with logged travels, compared to about 2300 users with at least one post here.

Thing is a good percentage of the TM users base is among the more well known community members.  For myself, had I known about TM way earlier I probably would have an account.  As it stands I'm so many years into traveling that it would take a considerable effort with time I really don't have to make an accurate map. 

Worth noting, TM also oriented is oriented towards capturing travel on numbered highways.  I know there are some exceptions such as NPS highways.  All the same my travel tends to run against of grain of driving numbered highways, so I would have a bunch of notable roads which couldn't be logged. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2022, 12:41:43 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 05, 2022, 11:54:22 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 06:20:36 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 06:13:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 06:04:46 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 05:41:46 PM
I have said before it doesn't take as long as you think to make a mere 23 posts in 1 day.

It takes a lot longer to make 23 good posts than 23 shitposts, though. And if you have the time to be making 23 posts, chances are most of them aren't very good.

My favorite posters on this forum are the ones that post new stuff I didn't know already. That kind of post is usually so lengthy and well-researched that there is just not enough time in the day to get 23 of them put together. Maybe that's because it requires lots of research digging up old maps and newspaper articles, or maybe that's because it involves going down to an active construction site and taking a bunch of pictures.

If I wanted more half-assed posts with kneejerk opinions in them, I can write those myself.

A little high of a standard for fictional highways don't you think? I am sure 99 percent of proposed plans would never be considered realistic after all of the research you are suggesting. Is there something wrong with drawing numbers on a map cause it looks good visually? After all, that is the counter argument for preserving natural areas and not building new highways, because the area without the strip of roadway "looks nicer".

I don't give a flying fuck about fictional highways. If it was up to me, I'd ban anyone with a majority of their posts there. It's not the main point of the forum.
So you would ban Fritz Owl? Fictional highways is actually my favorite branch of the hobby, although I do enjoy the other parts as well. I am not as knowledgable about roads as I'm young and haven't been to as many places as other users have.

I quickly found out I'm the one who's most militant about that point of view on the staff, so it's not like a ban of fictional-only posters is going to happen anytime soon.

You're old enough that you can start really traveling now and getting to see the real thing. I was your age when I entered my 77th and final Oklahoma county. Believe me, getting to see the world in person is a lot more fun than reading about roads on a forum, and you learn a lot more about a place seeing it yourself instead of hearing about it second hand.
I still need to get my driver's license and a car and money
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2022, 09:24:51 AM
How long does a quote need to be to be "long ass"?
At the eth Alan Convention, a "long ass quote" was defined as one quoting a goat with a rear end more than 13.47 inches long and less than 5.26 inches long.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on December 06, 2022, 12:50:39 PM

Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2022, 09:24:51 AM
How long does a quote need to be to be "long ass"?

At the eth Alan Convention, a "long ass quote" was defined as one quoting a goat with a rear end more than 13.47 inches long and less than 5.26 inches long.

I'm too lazy to do the math.  What length is that before converting from lRc to inches?
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 05, 2022, 07:47:55 PM
If someone had a majority of their posts in off-topic that is a sign they are mostly here to use this site as a social media platform, which it's not. It's a forum about roads.

At least you didn't say "plurality".
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Wow! Four pages in one day of basically nothing. I wish I had that much free time and I'm retired. I'm also surprised with this topic that nobody has mentioned that "to" is misspelled. I thought we were way too serious.

webny99

Quote from: skluth on December 06, 2022, 02:20:10 PM
I'm also surprised with this topic that nobody has mentioned that "to" is misspelled. I thought we were way too serious.

Oh, it was mentioned all right. I had fun with it early in the thread:

Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2022, 10:37:05 AM

I just stopped here on the way to Serious.

Quote from: webny99 on November 09, 2022, 03:16:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 09, 2022, 01:10:01 PM
I think you meant coat to cost.

Me to.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: skluth on December 06, 2022, 02:20:10 PM
Wow! Four pages in one day of basically nothing. I wish I had that much free time and I'm retired. I'm also surprised with this topic that nobody has mentioned that "to" is misspelled. I thought we were way too serious.

This thread has a super serial lack of Manbearpig.

Scott5114

Here's a good idea. I don't know what Scott would think of this though:

I think that sounds like a bunch of PHP I wouldn't get paid to write. :P

Crap.  Mine is only 26.

Next time you go to Branson, see if you can figure out a way to work K-26 into your route!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2022, 04:24:47 PM

Crap.  Mine is only 26.

Next time you go to Branson, see if you can figure out a way to work K-26 into your route!

Would that make you respect my experience more?

It's an extra 19 miles compared to our usual route, with Google estimating an additional 15 minutes of drive time.

*sigh*   OK . . . I suppose I'll probably have to, now that you pointed it out to me . . .

I'll let my wife know you told me to.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on December 06, 2022, 04:34:27 PM
Would that make you respect my experience more?

I think that depends on what your next-lowest untraveled number is.

If it's in the hundreds, that's pretty good bang for your buck.

If it's 27... well, I guess you might as well start somewhere...

kphoger

I don't think I've looked ahead, but I've clinched I-27.

Hmmmmm...  It might actually be 28, although I'd have to dig through Minnesota county highways to be sure.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.