News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Wakefield MA to Asheville NC - Day 1

Started by roadman, July 31, 2013, 09:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Tuesday (July 30th) was the first day of my trip from Wakefield, MA to Asheville, NC to attend my niece's wedding this weekend.  The Day 1 segment was from Wakefield, MA to Chambersburg, PA, via Scranton.

Left home at 8:30 am.  Based on the traffic reports, I made an immediate change to my route.  Instead of taking I-95 (128) south to the MassPike, I took I-93 north to I-495 south to I-290 west to the Mass Pike instead (saved me about 45 minutes).

Traffic was generally moderate throughout the entire trip (even on I-84 between Newburgh and Scranton).  However, I didn't hit any serious delays until the New York state line on I-84 - a work crew was painting a new "I Love NY" symbol in the median, and found it necessary to block the left lane - backing traffic up into Connecticut for about four miles.  I was skeptical about the truckers talking about it on the CB until I actually passed the work crew - to which I keyed the microphone "Well, ain't that purdy."

The left lane of the westbound Beacon Fishkill bridge was closed as part of the current painting project, however, there were no backups as a result.

The worst work zones as far as delay were on I-84 west between the PA border and Lords Valley.  They were doing some resurfacing, which I agree is badly needed.  However, the cones were positioned so far into the open lane that we were forced to drive partially in the shoulder, straddling the rumble strip

Except for a couple of troopers in Hartford, and one west of Brewster, the only police I saw were those in work zones.  There was no visible enforcement on I-81, perhaps all the PSP troopers are taking advantage of the overtime on the current I-80 special enforcement effort.

As far as roadgeek type stuff, the biggest thing I noticed is how truly bad the mileposts on I-84 have become.  Apart from the green "spot" covering up the NYSTA symbol, most signs I saw were completely illegible.

With the exception of parts of MA, the overall quality of the signing (some good, most fair) hasn't improved too much since I last traveled this route in 2009.  PA is still a mix of Highway Gothic and Clearview, and it's apparent that PennDOT still subscribes to the "one at a time" method of replacing BGS panels.

I also noted that NYSDOT hasn't yet fixed the exit direction sign on I-84 west at the Thruway exit - it's still ground-mounted in the gore for the previous exit.  Not only that, but they also changed the 'temporary' advanced slanted arrow to a standard one.

Spending the day in Chambersburg - currently at my dialysis treatment, and will be going over to the Gettysburg battlefield later.  Will get back on the road tomorrow morning, and will update folks in a couple of days.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman

Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2013, 01:45:59 PM
You haven't updated it yet.
Sorry, didn't get a chance to update yet.  Got busy on vacation, and been dealing with several work issues since I got back.  I hope to post updates this weekend.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

mass_citizen

Quote from: roadman on August 16, 2013, 01:17:41 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2013, 01:45:59 PM
You haven't updated it yet.
Sorry, didn't get a chance to update yet.  Got busy on vacation, and been dealing with several work issues since I got back.  I hope to post updates this weekend.

Any updates? This is an interesting trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.