News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most pro and anti freeway states & cities.

Started by Plutonic Panda, May 31, 2017, 05:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on January 29, 2018, 02:58:32 PM
This same lady probably complains about gridlock on a daily basis. Hypocrite.
Speaking of which;
https://imgflip.com/i/194qsf

MantyMadTown

Wisconsin's probably a mix of both. We seem to convert a lot of roads into four-lane expressways, like US 12 between somewhere south of Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells (including the Baraboo bypass that was just completed last year), US 41 north of the interchange with 141, US 10 between Appleton and Marshfield, and WIS 29. We've also liked to expand our freeways throughout the state as well, with all the construction along I-41. Just a few years ago they finally designated it as an interstate.

The Milwaukee area is a different story, because state politicians have just delayed construction on the Zoo Interchange due to a lack of funding. In the 60s and 70s there was a lot of controversy regarding several planned freeways, resulting in them not being built. They actually built some of the Park Freeway downtown east of I-43, but they eventually demolished it and there's currently no trace of the former freeway ever being built. I actually saw an old map of Wisconsin circa 2001 that had an inset of downtown Milwaukee showing the freeway when it was still there. Here's a link if you want to read more about it:
http://www.wisconsinhighways.org/milwaukee/park.html

Forget the I-41 haters

roadman65

What about NYC?  Sure it has expressways and parkways galore, but look at Manhattan!  It killed both I-78 and I-495 and to cross the borough is awful using congested streets.  Then in Brooklyn and Queens you have both the cancelled Bushwick and the Clearview that would have extended I-78 into the Bronx.  Oh, yes the Westway project where the former Miller's Westside highway had to be converted to an arterial due to the city not being able to replace the old viaduct.  So only the FDR is the only N-S freeway to run the whole length almost with it being closed to trucks.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.