News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

So, with this plan, if everything happens like the proposal suggests, you have something like US 79/80's green section becoming a move to overlap I-20?  But in the case of US 171, it would end where the green section starts, or have a different/red routing to intersect either I-20 or I-49 (and not have the chance to meet up with US 71 after all by taking out LA 3094)?  And US 71 after the merge with I-20, would it overlap with I-49 north of I-20 (since all of US 71 shows green from downtown northward)?

Wow, glad TxDOT isn't trying something similar to this on a relative scale....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Alex

Quote from: txstateends on February 03, 2014, 10:18:47 AM
So, with this plan, if everything happens like the proposal suggests, you have something like US 79/80's green section becoming a move to overlap I-20?  But in the case of US 171, it would end where the green section starts, or have a different/red routing to intersect either I-20 or I-49 (and not have the chance to meet up with US 71 after all by taking out LA 3094)?  And US 71 after the merge with I-20, would it overlap with I-49 north of I-20 (since all of US 71 shows green from downtown northward)?

Wow, glad TxDOT isn't trying something similar to this on a relative scale....

Just truncate routes where applicable and move the others onto hidden overlaps with the Interstate system. Why bother showing the new concurrences at that point. The precedent is already there as Arkansas routinely omits US highway overlaps on Interstates, as does the Dallas area with US 67 and US 77.

mcdonaat

This is what someone from the DOTD told me, in regards to US 171 in Shreveport.

"When state route LA 3094 was constructed, its was temporarily assigned this route number to avoid using state route US 171 as the numbered route during its three projects that took several years to complete resulting in state route LA 3094 being essentially a dead end route until the completion of all three phases.  This was in lieu of the numbered route US 171 being a dead end route that would be an unexpected condition for a US route and that would not have been accepted by the AASHTO Special Committee on US route numbering that authorizes the use of US route numbers.  As I probably explained previously that after the construction of state route LA 3094 was completed, the Department failed to change the temporary route number to the planned permanent route number US 171.  When our proposal was made recently to make the change all of these years later, the businesses along the route and our district administration disagreed with the proposed change and therefore it was not made."

Looking at that turnback for Rapides Parish, US 71 between US 165 and the Pineville Expressway will be turned back. This is a very poor choice, since the state needs to upkeep the bypass around the US 165/167 junction. Also, you're deleting LA 1, which means DOTD can't "legally" send traffic down LA 1 if I-49 is closed. So, mainline US 71 in Pineville is deleted, Business US 165 is deleted, and LA 1 north of Alexandria is deleted, but LA 1208-2 is kept? What's the reasoning?

LA 492 - kept. Almost no cars use it. LA 3225 - deleted. Used by two commuting traffic and one of the heaviest two lane roads.

Wonder how AASHTO will take the moving and reassigning of US highways? :P

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: mcdonaat on February 03, 2014, 04:36:00 PM
Looking at that turnback for Rapides Parish, US 71 between US 165 and the Pineville Expressway will be turned back. This is a very poor choice, since the state needs to upkeep the bypass around the US 165/167 junction. Also, you're deleting LA 1, which means DOTD can't "legally" send traffic down LA 1 if I-49 is closed. So, mainline US 71 in Pineville is deleted, Business US 165 is deleted, and LA 1 north of Alexandria is deleted, but LA 1208-2 is kept? What's the reasoning?

LA 492 - kept. Almost no cars use it. LA 3225 - deleted. Used by two commuting traffic and one of the heaviest two lane roads.

There needs to be a state maintained surface alternate parallel to interstates and other freeways where possible; it doesn't necessarily have to be a US highway either.

I don't think traffic counts were the primary consideration for which routes get to stay and which get to go. In fact, somewhere in the main document outlining the turnback process it is stated that major urban arterials should primarily be a local concern.

LA 1208-2 serves the DOTD District 8 HQ. All the other state highway spurs serving district HQs, where they exist, were also retained in the proposed system. Go figure.

mcdonaat

In my opinion, thru routes should be a state priority, and arterials a city priority. US 71 is a thru route in Alexandria/Pineville, and is used heavily by commuters and long-distance travel alike. It acts as a bypass of the 165/167 interchange, and is useful in the state system.

LA 3045, the road serving the DOTD HQ, is proposed for turnback. LA 1208-2 has US 71 in Alexandria, so why need 1208-2?

Notice, though, on the turnback plans - the state is proposing using freed mileage to construct new roads, or adopt certain highways. LA 1196 in Avoyelles Parish is apparently being extended to hook up with LA 3102 in Catahoula Parish, then bypassing Larto Lake to the south on a new alignment. It will then connect to LA 124. It took the DOTD almost 80 years to finally finish the Marksville-Jonesville Highway, in a sense. You can get from LA 107 at a point about 15 mins north of Marksville to Jonesville in about 35 minutes.

The DOTD is also taking Staring Lane Extension and adding it to the state system. The turnback shows LA 30 being deleted from LA 327 Spur to downtown. Any person who erases the green lines and black lines can see LA 30 running from I-12 at Essen Lane south to St. Gabriel.

District 58 shows Concordia Parish will get a new bypass of Vidalia, connecting LA 131 to US 65/84. Franklin Parish will have LA 132 extended from LA 857 to LA 860, a project 80 years old. Pointe Coupee will also get LA 417 reconnected. I'm probably most thrilled about the LA 1196/LA 124 connector!

mcdonaat

According to LaDOTD, US 84 is in the process of being widened from La 772 (west, since the document doesn't specify which LA 772 - it runs concurrent through Jena with 84) east, through town, to just past the Jena city limits. I'm curious as to how it's going to handle the 90-degree turns US 84 has with La 722 West, and how it plans on sending the route through downtown Jena. It's also, along with US 84's widening in Logansport at the Sabine River bridge, the Black River bridge, and Winnfield being 4-laned, another step that is being widened in Louisiana.

jbnv

Why does US 84 go through Jena and Winnfield instead of Alexandria?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Urban Prairie Schooner

Sections of LA 73 (Government Street, Jefferson Highway), LA 30 (Nicholson Drive), and Business US 61/190 (River Road, Florida Street, Chippewa Street) are scheduled to be turned back to East Baton Rouge Parish, pending local approval:

http://theadvocate.com/home/8476004-125/ebr-poised-to-take-over

NE2

Quote from: jbnv on February 26, 2014, 07:39:32 PM
Same length and less traffic, presumably.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mcdonaat

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2014, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: jbnv on February 26, 2014, 07:39:32 PM
Same length and less traffic, presumably.
You hit more parish seats. Jena and Winnfield instead of Alexandria. Plus, its shorter.

Nexus 7

pctech

Baton Rouge take over of part of Government St.(LA 73) will let city advance plans to restructure it with a dedicated bike/pedestrian lane and center turn lane.

DODT is going "wild" with new reflective pavement markers on part of I-10/110 in downtown.....I wish that they would scrap of some the old ones first.

mcdonaat

Quote from: pctech on February 27, 2014, 10:40:17 AM
Baton Rouge take over of part of Government St.(LA 73) will let city advance plans to restructure it with a dedicated bike/pedestrian lane and center turn lane.

DODT is going "wild" with new reflective pavement markers on part of I-10/110 in downtown.....I wish that they would scrap of some the old ones first.
It doesn't say it in the actual news report, but LaDOTD giving EBR the downtown streets will be a part of a street swap. DOTD is taking over the Staring Lane extension, per the turnback plan. If that's not what happens, I'd be surprised! DOTD even owns the ROW south of Burbank for Staring Lane.

pctech

I'd like to see river road (bus. 61/190) be converted to three lanes  from the museum to the state capitol area. It would eliminate traffic hangs due to cars stopping to turn left. There are plans for improvements to the river front and a new park near the capitol.

apjung

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 14, 2014, 08:51:40 PM
Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on January 08, 2014, 03:17:09 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 06, 2014, 06:47:19 PM
A mistake that they didn't get it done when they did the widening between US 11 and I-10/59.  Also, they boo-boo'd on the start of the westbound lane...they should have made the on-ramp from I-59/EB I-10 the start of the 3rd lane.

It almost appears as if they were leaving room for an eastward expansion of I-10.

Quote from: lamsalfl on January 07, 2014, 01:45:14 AM
If you don't like that configuration you would love the lane configuration of I-10 westbound at the Causeway interchange.

I've been waiting for I don't know how long to see what they will do with that once all of this construction is said and done. I seriously hope that they don't leave it like that.

I emailed LaDOTD about that very question. The plan is to remove the lane drop and re-stripe the merge with the Causeway onramp when the Veterans-to-Clearview widening project is complete.

I hope that's what I saw passing thru about an hour ago. I hope they are there to finally restripe Westbound I-10 at Causeway entrance ramp as I see the "temporary" merge has been coned off.

pctech

Here is a few observations for a weekend trip from Baton Rouge to Mobile AL. and back,

La. Next phase of widening I-12 has begun east of Denham Springs . Bridges over water ways between there and Hammond are being rebuilt/widened. I-10 from I-12/59 to west Pearl river still goes thump,thump, thump from pavement settling.  (annoying in a car, but really makes tractor-trailer rigs bounce!)

Ms. Construction on I-10/110 Biloxi, in progress, appears to be adding lanes/redesigning interchange.  I-10 from about MP. 51 to MP 58 still has original concrete pavement, but the number of chip outs/pot holes  is increasing. It'll probably be resurfaced before long.

AL. I-10 widening project near Theodore is complete.  "See thru" BGS at I -10/65 still in place.

roadman65

Quote from: Tom958 on March 23, 2014, 12:53:46 PM
Sorry, I moved it to this thread, which seemed more appropriate. I'm pleasantly amazed that the replies came so quickly. :)
I thought that something was wrong with my computer for a minuet LOL!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lamsalfl

The daily clusterfuck of the I-10/Pontchartrain Expwy junction

This area is hell during most daylight hours.  My solution is to use the highly underutilized elevated HOV lane. 

1) Lose the shoulders and offer two lanes (one lane each direction with divider)
2) kill where the lane comes down to street level near Magnolia St
3) make full connections to/from existing flyovers connecting with I-10 east
4) Profit

brownpelican

Money was made available for capital outlay transportation projects across the state for fiscal year 2015, Gov. Jindal announced. They are:

• $3.5 million for a study that would turn a widened Airline Hwy. into an interstate-like facility from I-10 in Ascension Parish to West Baton Rouge Parish. A toll would be collected on the freeway lanes but service roads would be free.
  • $2 million for a study of the "West Bank Connector", which may add another bridge across the Mississippi between Plaquemine and Saint Gabriel.
  • $2 million for widening of LA 70 from the Sunshine Bridge to LA 22 in Ascension and St. James parishes
  • $2.3 million for Gonzales GO program, which would widen LA-30 corridor in Ascension Parish and improve intersections

Rejected was a request for $5 million to overlay a dilapidated LA 16 from Port Vincent to Head of Island and $1 million to construct an interchange at I-10 and LA 74 near Dutchtown.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/03/toll_roadway_among_baton_rouge.html#incart_river

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: mcdonaat on February 27, 2014, 07:46:06 PM
Quote from: pctech on February 27, 2014, 10:40:17 AM

It doesn't say it in the actual news report, but LaDOTD giving EBR the downtown streets will be a part of a street swap. DOTD is taking over the Staring Lane extension, per the turnback plan. If that's not what happens, I'd be surprised! DOTD even owns the ROW south of Burbank for Staring Lane.

As far as I know, DOTD is not acquiring any new roadways as part of the swap, though ultimately they will likely assume Staring Lane into the state system, probably when the segment of Nicholson Drive from Burbank Drive to Gardere Lane is downloaded. I read somewhere in the Advocate that the state has active plans to construct the extension of Staring Lane through Gardere, though it is unknown when that will come to fruition.

The specific segments of roads to be downloaded, per information from City-Parish government, are as follows:

- Nicholson Dr (LA 30) from Burbank Dr (LA 42) to South Blvd
- St. Louis St (LA 30) from South Blvd to Government St
- St. Phillip St (LA 30) from South Blvd to Government St
- Government St (LA 73) from St. Phillip St to Jefferson Hwy
- Jefferson Hwy (LA 73) from Government St to Old Hammond Hwy (LA 426)
- Florida St (BUS US 61/190) from N. River Rd to N. 9th St (I-110 frontage road)
- N. River Rd and N. 3rd St (BUS US 61/190) from Florida St to Choctaw Dr/Chippewa St
- Chippewa St (BUS US 61/190) from Choctaw Dr to Phlox Ave

I am guessing DOTD is leaving the segment of Chippewa east of Phlox in the state system so that the KCS railroad underpass can remain on the state payroll.

This will leave dangling (and readily downloadable) ends for LA 67, LA 327, and LA 427, and dual endings for LA 30/42 and 73/426 (where each route ends at each other without either route continuing). Also, BUS 61/190 will have a chunk of its middle missing (unless or until it is rerouted - 9th/10th Streets to I-110 to LA 3164 would be the logical alternate), not that most drivers would notice in any case.

pctech

After an inquiry to DODT, I have learned to that the "thump,thump,thump" section of  I-10 from the 10/12/59 exchange to West Pearl river is scheduled to be rehabilitated starting this summer. The interchange ramps are also suppose to repaired.

Anthony_JK

That proposal for an Interstate-grade tollway along Airline Highway came as a huge surprise to local Baton Rouge officials, especially Mayor Kip Holden and the Greater BTR MPO, who still wants to push an outer loop bypass of BTR rather than tolling and upgrading Airline Hwy. The story from the Baton Rouge Advocate:

http://theadvocate.com/home/8736319-125/br-mayor-miffed-at-not

[...]
But Mayor-President Kip Holden and representatives from his office said this week the Legislature has yet to approach them about the massive infrastructure project.

Holden said news of the legislative initiative has resulted in calls to his office from concerned constituents along Airline Highway who want to know what's going on.

"We're getting some irate people calling us for a plan that was put out by our legislative delegation without any consultation,"  Holden said. "The city, and a lot of the other parish presidents were not consulted."

Holden administration officials expressed concerns that the proposal could compete with years of planning, studies and other work already invested in the Baton Rouge Loop, a proposed 85-mile roadway circling the capitol region with an estimated price tag of $4.5 billion.

Like the recently proposed BUMP project, the Loop would operate as a toll road and be funded through a public-private partnership.

Holden noted that the Metropolitan Planning Organization, which is overseen by the Capital Region Planning Commission, was not involved in the BUMP proposal.

The MPO is the transportation policy-making organization which sets project priorities for the region and is made up of representatives from the various local governments, including Holden.

"Are they trying to usurp the powers of the MPO?"  Holden said. "This is not necessarily a legislative responsibility alone."

Holden also expressed concerns about the plan's impact.

"How are you going to turn Airline Highway into a place where you go 70 miles an hour?"  he said. "What's going to happen to the businesses along Airline Highway? What about the safety of the people crossing Airline Highway?"

The BUMP plan envisions frontage roads parallel to Airline Highway that would provide toll-fee alternatives for local residents and access to businesses.

William Daniel, chief administrative officer for Holden, said the administration's priority continues to be the Northern Bypass, which is the 25-mile northern portion of the Loop, estimated to cost about $750 million.

"We are so much further along on the Northern Bypass and that is our priority,"  Daniel said. "Having been a former legislator, I certainly understand the role that they play in trying to secure capital outlay funds and all of that, but I certainly hope they'd come talk to us about the priorities."

[...]

I actually like this idea of converting Airline Hwy to a Texas-style freeway, and think it would be a decent alternative to widening I-10 or the Northern Bypass. I'm not so sure about the tolls, though.

I still think a southern bypass using an Addis-Gardere bridge across the Mississippi or using LA 1 and the Sunshine Bridge would serve more bang for the buck, but that's only me.

mcdonaat

I love the idea of upgrading Airline Highway. You can upgrade Airline in chunks, which would be much quicker than building a complete northern bypass. If you look along Airline, all you see are long driveways which butt out onto the highway. Plenty of room for a frontage road system, and you can give interchanges instead of stop lights for some of the biggest headaches - I'm talking about you, Choctaw Drive and Old Hammond Hwy!

I think the BR mayor is ticked off that his pet project is now being pushed aside by a cheaper, smarter, quicker alternative that would upgrade a stretch of heavily-congested highway. Once traffic moves quicker on Airline, people won't want that northern loop... but the southern loop needs to be pushed!

By the way, it doesn't matter what Holden says are priorities, the fact remains that Airline is a state highway, built as a bypass, and the city has allowed zoning for businesses all up and down Airline. It's partially their fault why it's so dang congested!

pctech

I would support rebuilding Airline to freeway standards. There is enough space for a 6 lane freeway with service roads along most of the route.
It's needs to run from the Huey Long bridge to the East Baton Rouge parish line to the south. The BR bypass loop is "pipe dream" that is never going to happen.
Even this proposal is a long shot as it's going to be expensive and the word "toll"  doesn't sell well in Louisiana.

jbnv

Quote from: pctech on March 28, 2014, 07:37:12 AM
Even this proposal is a long shot as it's going to be expensive and the word "toll"  doesn't sell well in Louisiana.

Any project that actually helps the traffic situation in BR will be expensive. That's just reality. And whether or not people like it, the money has to come from somewhere, and it makes the most sense for it to come from the people who actually use it. That's also reality.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

pctech

Does anyone know what they are doing on Jefferson Highway (LA73) from Govt. St. to Bluebonnet? They appear to be cutting out cracks and other defects in the pavement surface and filling them with some type of "grouting" material.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.