News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

I'm curious to see how beneficial the N.O. ramp meters will be. When traffic headed to I-10 west was three lanes there were constant accidents along that section because of the way the ramps are set up and people complained for years. Once they striped it down to two lanes accidents decreased by nearly 90%. Now the people from the Westbank and the Stop the Tolls crowd are complaining that the two lanes add an extra 5 to 10 minutes to their commutes so we're about to bring it back to three. Smdh

Anthony_JK

Quote from: jbnv on June 20, 2014, 01:37:49 PM
Quote from: brownpelican on June 20, 2014, 01:29:48 PM
Also, a proposal by DOTD would make US 190 between I-12 and the Claiborne Hill overpass (where it goes over La. 21 and the Bogue Falaya River) a "super street". From The Times-Picayune:
QuoteThe state is floating a plan that would in essence block traffic crossing U.S. 190 from the side streets and eliminate all left turns from those streets. Instead, those vehicles feeding onto the thoroughfare would be prompted to make right turns and merge into U-turn or J-turn lanes in order to head back in the other direction.

Each of the turn lanes would be signalized to more easily allow vehicles to re-enter the U.S. 190 flow. While not exactly the notoriously turn-restrictive Tulane Avenue in New Orleans, the new traffic plan would virtually eliminate full access intersections and would mean that vehicles emerging from the side streets would only be able to turn right at U.S. 190.

DOTD says the proposals could cut travel time in half.

]http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/06/us_190_near_covington_would_be.html]

Yes. It really needs to be a freeway. I-112, anyone?

US 190 from I-12 south to the Ponchatrain Causeway approach is already a freeway, right? A "superstreet" north of there is more than sufficient. Plus, that's the new trend with urban arterials in Louisiana; US 90 just south of Lafayette has essentially the same setup (with the "J-turns") as a temporary fix until I-49 South is built.

brownpelican

^^^There are two traffic lights below La. 22: Florida Street and Brookside Drive.

brownpelican

Causeway officials came out and flat out said that higher tolls are needed to make major improvements, including raising the guardrails on the southbound span. From WWL-TV:

QuoteAbout 40,000 vehicles cross the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway every weekday and a new state audit indicates last year, bridge tolls brought in more than $16 million.

However, Causeway General Manager Carlton Dufrechou says about $60 million is needed to improve the guardrails...and add safety shoulders to each span.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/northshore/Causeway-Audit-Shows-Little-Money-In-Budget-For-Safety-Improvements-264311791.html

pctech

I wonder if the DODT has ever considered rebuilding Causeway Blvd. south as controlled access standards all the way to Jefferson Highway (US. 90)? There appears to already be enough right of way and service roads exist as well.

codyg1985

Quote from: pctech on June 24, 2014, 03:14:01 PM
I wonder if the DODT has ever considered rebuilding Causeway Blvd. south as controlled access standards all the way to Jefferson Highway (US. 90)? There appears to already be enough right of way and service roads exist as well.

It would be nice if that could happen, and then link it with the Huey P Long Bridge somehow, but that latter thing would be harder to do.

I think DOTD wants to turn Clearview Pkwy into a superstreet between I-10 and Earhart Expressway, but I think an option at the time considered making it a freeway.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jbnv

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 25, 2014, 07:21:07 AM

It would be nice if that could happen, and then link it with the Huey P Long Bridge somehow, but that latter thing would be harder to do.

I think DOTD wants to turn Clearview Pkwy into a superstreet between I-10 and Earhart Expressway, but I think an option at the time considered making it a freeway.

Ditto both of these.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

pctech

I took a ride to Plaquemine La. today, first time that I've been that way in a while. La 1 is becoming a very poor condition highway. Especial just south of town. Plaquemine itself looks like a ghost town, lots of shut down and abandoned businesses.

mcdonaat

Quote from: pctech on July 07, 2014, 04:18:55 PM
I took a ride to Plaquemine La. today, first time that I've been that way in a while. La 1 is becoming a very poor condition highway. Especial just south of town. Plaquemine itself looks like a ghost town, lots of shut down and abandoned businesses.
The business part of Plaquemine has moved west towards Morgan City. Turn at the Jack in the Box and take that highway out of town, and you'll see what I mean.

Maybe the state is saving the money to just resurface the highway and redesign it with passing lanes, or a four-lane highway all the way through White Castle and Donaldsonville?

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: pctech on July 07, 2014, 04:18:55 PM

Another road that stinks is US 190 in the Lobdell/Port Allen area, from just west of LA 415 to the Mississippi River bridge.

Plaquemine's business district has for the most part migrated to the west of town along LA 75.

jbnv

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on July 07, 2014, 09:09:16 PM
Plaquemine's business district has for the most part migrated to the west of town along LA 75.

What's the benefit of them locating there versus along LA 1?
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

rlb2024

Several years ago DOTD, Jefferson Parish, and/or the Causeway Commission floated the idea of making Causeway Boulevard an elevated controlled-access roadway from the south end of the bridge to I-10.  Local businesses along Causeway Boulevard threw a major hissy-fit, saying it would deprive them of the majority of their customers.  Bowing to the political pressure, the idea was dropped.

As a result, it takes me almost as long to get from I-10 to the south end of the bridge (about 2 miles) as it does to cross the bridge itself (24 miles) during afternoon rush-hour traffic.

mcdonaat

Quote from: jbnv on July 07, 2014, 10:41:51 PM
Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on July 07, 2014, 09:09:16 PM

What's the benefit of them locating there versus along LA 1?
I'm guessing it's because LA 75 goes by the school, and it's a route to and from Morgan City/US 90. North along LA 1, you have Brusly, which has way more stuff than Plaquemine.

pctech

US 190 between Miss. river and LA 415 is being resurfaced. I went thru there as well. It's nearly totally deserted thru there now, mostly closed and abandoned businesses. Near Brusly/Port Allen there is a fair amount of development. I wonder if they are going to ever replace the LA 1 bridge over the intra-costal canal? Are just wait for the decking to crash eventually?

brownpelican

Here's a story about Causeway officials and the Texas A&M Transportation Institute testing out guardrail designs on the turnaround on the southbound Causeway.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/07/causeway_rail_designs_hold_up.html#incart_river

cjk374

I saw something interesting on my way back from Slidell yesterday....on I-20, the Mound exit (182) and the Richmond exit (173) had their LA 602 shields patched over with new shields.  Apparently, LA 602 has been split in half now.  LA 602-1 is at Richmond, and LA 602-2 is in Mound.  When did this change take place?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

pctech

It doesn't look like that Jindal's cost cutting study which recommended that overlays be reduced to one inch is going to be implemented. It's not gaining any traction with the legislature. The current standard doesn't hold up well most of the time, one can only imagine how one inch overlays would work.

bassoon1986

Quote from: cjk374 on July 20, 2014, 10:17:51 AM
I saw something interesting on my way back from Slidell yesterday....on I-20, the Mound exit (182) and the Richmond exit (173) had their LA 602 shields patched over with new shields.  Apparently, LA 602 has been split in half now.  LA 602-1 is at Richmond, and LA 602-2 is in Mound.  When did this change take place?

I looked at GSM for clues, but LA 602 was last videoed in 2008 so no luck there. I thought by looking at the map that there might be a bridge crossing of a bayou and perhaps the bridge was closed and formed 2 segments of highway, but streetview doesn't show a bridge, more of a low road and ditch. I wonder if maybe the section of LA 602 south of I-20 that parallels the interstate was decomissioned and only the spurs north from I-20 remain to serve Richmond and Mound?

Urban Prairie Schooner

Based on the proposed turnback maps, the section of LA 602 south of I-20 was already gone by January 2012.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on July 21, 2014, 07:02:47 PM

Based on the proposed turnback maps, the section of LA 602 south of I-20 was already gone by January 2012.
Why on earth would you only turn back sections instead of a complete decommissioning? Why not "PR 602" and not worry about a hyphenated route?

jbnv

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 27, 2014, 06:11:59 PM
Why on earth would you only turn back sections instead of a complete decommissioning?

LaDOTD isn't exactly known for logical, understandable highway planning.

brownpelican

The Florida Avenue bridge over the Industrial Canal is shut down until further notice due to electrical issues.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2014/08/florida_avenue_bridge_closed_s.html#incart_river

brownpelican

A reader of the The Advocate in Baton Rouge gave his proposal for fixing the I-10/I-110 interchange.

Ask The Advocate: A modest proposal for I-10 snarls

mcdonaat

Quote from: brownpelican on August 03, 2014, 10:35:28 PM
A reader of the The Advocate in Baton Rouge gave his proposal for fixing the I-10/I-110 interchange.

Ask The Advocate: A modest proposal for I-10 snarls
Did I honestly just see someone pull the race card? Take Washington Street and shift it back to 110 instead of after the split. Highland already goes to Washington Street.

With Washington moved, ease the curve for 10E and have a truck limit of 50 instead of 35 MPH. Slowing traffic down from 60 to 35 is a big problem. Also, Washington Street isn't the only "black neighborhood exit", and there are many alternatives. Close Washington and you still have Government, Highland, Laurel, Dalrymple, and Perkins.

pctech

This issue about Washington St. exit being closed has had politicians and DODT quaking in their boots for years. You can be labeled as being racist for suggesting it. It's a very dangerous interchange. I've seen drivers headed south on I-110 come to a near stop in the traffic lane to wait for an opening to merge over to the exit or I've seen them "swoop" over 3 lanes of traffic for the same reason. The entire 10/110 exchange needs to be rebuilt as modern stack design. The Washington St. exit could still be part of 110 south but would  not be accessed from 10 east. Maybe something along the lines of the "High 5" in Dallas.
Of course your going to need big$$$$$ to do it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.