Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

CNGL-Leudimin

They have also filled the last gap without Street View along US 2 in Montana. Now if they could fix the last few places in which one is still forced to go through all frames and increase the distance one can click to the old one...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

LM117

Quote from: jakeroot on August 27, 2022, 01:27:05 PM
Quote from: LM117 on August 27, 2022, 09:10:35 AM
I noticed that it's now possible to see older streetview images on the android app. Before that, you had to do it with a browser. Took long enough.

I've also noticed this. I think it rolled out, at least to iOS devices, in late July. It's been awesome being able to research something on-the-spot rather than having to wait until getting home.

I think the android version was more recent than that, because I didn't see it until about a week ago. Then again, I wasn't looking for it and stumbled across it by accident. Either way, I'm not complaining. :coffee:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Molandfreak

Why did Google feel the need to apply the name "Blues Highway"  to all of US 61? I guess that would be understandable in Mississippi since they have those goofy blue signs with that name, but nobody north of Missouri knows 61 as the blues highway...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kirbykart

Quote from: Molandfreak on September 19, 2022, 02:17:52 PM
Why did Google feel the need to apply the name "Blues Highway"  to all of US 61? I guess that would be understandable in Mississippi since they have those goofy blue signs with that name, but nobody north of Missouri knows 61 as the blues highway...
Another weird thing Google does is when a US route is concurrent with an Interstate, and you go into StreetView on it, it often says the US Route Number and not the Interstate Number for some reason.

NE2

Currently I-40 is not shown as a freeway just east of the TX/NM line (easiest to notice if you have traffic on and zoom out enough). Which is technically correct...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on September 19, 2022, 08:53:49 PM
Currently I-40 is not shown as a freeway just east of the TX/NM line (easiest to notice if you have traffic on and zoom out enough). Which is technically correct...

So did that bee in |Bobby5280|'s bonnet finally get the better of him, or what?   :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Latest Google Maps complaint:  if you change to satellite view and then open the "Map details" pane, you can't uncheck "Labels" anymore (the blue check mark does not clear when you click on it).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 05, 2022, 03:00:11 PM
Latest Google Maps complaint:  if you change to satellite view and then open the "Map details" pane, you can't uncheck "Labels" anymore (the blue check mark does not clear when you click on it).
Yep, this is a big annoyance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Wo55tU6MDmsZWxVY9

Is it my tablet or what, but I can't advance east under the building on US 40 in Baltimore.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: Rothman on October 05, 2022, 08:45:39 PM

Not seeing it. Mac OS 12.6, Chrome.

Rothman

Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2022, 10:45:54 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 05, 2022, 08:45:39 PM

Not seeing it. Mac OS 12.6, Chrome.
It's just an additonal click to find where to turn the labels off.  Used to be easier to find.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

Quote from: roadman65 on October 05, 2022, 10:21:05 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/Wo55tU6MDmsZWxVY9

Is it my tablet or what, but I can't advance east under the building on US 40 in Baltimore.

I've noticed that sometimes GSV doesn't have imagery under low clearances like this.

kphoger

The blue checkmark clears just fine for me, and labels disappear when I do so.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Something that makes no sense to me: I went to use Google Maps to get walking directions and a time estimate. I zoomed in on the area I wanted because I didn't know the address of either the place of origin or the destination, so I planned just to click on each one. When I clicked on the first location, selected "Directions from here," and then clicked on the walking man icon, it immediately zoomed way the heck out to a 10-mile radius. Yet when I seek driving directions, even local ones to get a sense for what traffic conditions are, it stays zoomed in close at the level I had selected. What good is that? What's the point of doing that? Aren't most people looking for walking directions more likely to look for something within a mile or two maximum, and aren't most people opting between walking and driving more likely to walk for a shorter distance and drive for something longer?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2022, 10:57:54 AM

The blue checkmark clears just fine for me, and labels disappear when I do so.

It doesn't work for me on Firefox, but it does work for me on Chrome.

One of the things I used to like was that it did work even for the regular map, without the aerials. And my first thought was that that was what they were trying to "fix," but they just went too far.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 06, 2022, 12:24:56 PM
It doesn't work for me on Firefox, but it does work for me on Chrome.

Ahhh.  I was using Edge.  Just tried it in Firefox, and it didn't work for me in that browser either.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2022, 12:28:20 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 06, 2022, 12:24:56 PMIt doesn't work for me on Firefox, but it does work for me on Chrome.

Ahhh.  I was using Edge.  Just tried it in Firefox, and it didn't work for me in that browser either.

I just tried it in Chrome and did indeed get it to work:

It does look like a browser-specific JavaScript incompatibility.  It also surfaces in Firefox regardless of path taken to the desired end state, which can be (1) click on view control (toggle satellite/map view) --> choose "More" --> click "Labels" or (2) hover on view control --> choose "More" --> click satellite view icon (changes "Labels" from grayed out to active) --> click "Labels."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

Currently, Google Maps names the entire former Putnam Division of the New York Central Railroad in Westchester County as the "South County Trailway" from Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx to NY 118 in Baldwin Place.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.345148,-73.7546689,210m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I'm pretty sure north of NY 119 in Elmsford, it's called the "North County Trailway."

BTW, I was looking up the Putnam Trail at the time after checking out the Southeast Metro-North railroad station, and imagining how much fun that must be.

kirbykart

Very near me, all the online mapping services bypassed the village of Cattaraugus by sending drivers down Catt CR 76, Lovers Lane Road. Now I am pleasantly surprised because I recently looked up directions on Google Maps and they did not use this awful road. Why do you even need to bypass a village of 1,000? And also Bing Maps routes you through Cattaraugus now, which is surprising because they always love to send you out of the way on random backroads.
Cattaraugus, NY
Google doesn't have StreetView of Lovers Lane Road, but I can assure you it is an awful road, it goes out of the way and is not worth what you get out of it.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2807818,-76.6639312,16.96z
They seem to have West Chocolate Avenue applied to US 422 after US 422 leaves West Chocolate for the expressway that leads into US 322.

I believe all rural parts of US 422 in PA ( or the eastern segment anyway) are the Benjamin Franklin Highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

For some reason, Google Maps thinks this street in Port Jefferson Station, New York is part of "State Highway 25A."
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9332188,-73.0455032,3a,75y,355.89h,83.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2Ma0-JVlJLUWDJd6fUy7nw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en
But it's just Columbia Street.

Scott5114

Wonder if there was a bad data import from some ancient database or something. They're now showing OK 122, which was decommissioned in 1966.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Hardly a new issue... there are a whole host of "state highways" in Utah and especially Nevada that were decommissioned long ago but are still marked on Google Maps. I don't trust any of their route designations in Nevada without confirming with another source.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on October 16, 2022, 01:29:44 AM
Hardly a new issue... there are a whole host of "state highways" in Utah and especially Nevada that were decommissioned long ago but are still marked on Google Maps. I don't trust any of their route designations in Nevada without confirming with another source.
Heh.  Las Vegas state shields on Google Maps drive me nuts.  Definitely have to consult elsewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.