News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

6 Laning I-40

Started by US71, April 25, 2012, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msunat97

Of course they will have multiple state troopers patrolling the detour routes...I speak from experience here...saw over 3 state troopers in a 10 mile stretch.  Got to meet one of them as well...while I handed him my license!

rte66man

Quote from: US71 on June 25, 2013, 09:24:18 AM
Quote from: rte66man on June 25, 2013, 09:09:57 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on June 25, 2013, 01:33:50 AM
I got a dose of it last summer. Westbound traffic was backed up about 12 miles from the bridge and stopped cold for nearly two hours. On a Sunday afternoon.

I fail to understand why the Highway Dept doesn't post webcams at either end of the construction zone with feeds to the Welcome Centers in West Memphis and Fort Smith.  Those with wireless access could also see the feed from their phones/tablets/etc and judge accordingly whether to detour through DeValls Bluff on US70.

rte66man

Money? AHTD is notorious for complaining they don't have enough money (then spending what they do have on pet projects)

There are VMS's warning of construction, but it's not until you get close that they advise taking a detour.

Plus the VMS is always saying "detour" even when you can sail right through.  Its really bad westbound as you have to decide at the Brinkley exit whether to take 70.  Its another 12 miles to the Biscoe exit.  If you make it that far, you might as well stay on 40.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

msunat97

The new Westbound side of the Highway 64 overpass in Conway is open.  The on ramp from 64 (Oak Street in Conway) is a little tricky on the Eastbound side.

ChoralScholar

Coming through Conway today, it is beginning to look like a freeway instead of a big CF.
"Turn down... on the blue road...."

Avalanchez71

If people would stay in their lane then there would not be much of a need of widening the highway from four to six lanes at such taxpayer expense.

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 18, 2013, 12:07:26 PM
If people would stay in their lane then there would not be much of a need of widening the highway from four to six lanes at such taxpayer expense.

I beg to differ. Traffic counts have been going up. Fayetteville and Little Rock are booming. This should have been done 10-15 years ago, but AHTD is always RE-active rather than PRO-active
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Avalanchez71

I knew Fayetteville was booming at one time.  I wasn't as aware of Little Rock booming.

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 19, 2013, 08:16:50 AM
I knew Fayetteville was booming at one time.  I wasn't as aware of Little Rock booming.

Yes. Not in the same way as Fayetteville, but it is growing, if not booming.

codyg1985

Now if they could widen I-40 east of Little Rock....
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

msunat97

Traffic has been diverted over the new section of bridge over Lake Conway going Westbound I-40 into Conway.  This is the bridge closest to Conway.  They should be diverting traffic over on the Eastbound side any day now.

msunat97

The construction zone has shifted South approximately .8 miles of the Hwy 89 / I-40 interchange in Mayflower.

msunat97

Highway 64 overpass update:
The Eastbound lanes are currently under construction.  They have installed the roadway beams on one side of the bridge.  The should be installing the beams on the approach side this week.  That will leave the main span beams to be installed eventually.

I saw a report a few weeks back about AHTD planned for the Conway part of the expansion to be completed by January 2014.

msunat97

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on September 17, 2013, 09:43:31 AM
I-40 info & other related projects

http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013-08-03/i-40-widening-project-nears-end-conway-other-projects-scheduled

The article is dated August 3, but some of the reporter's info is outdated. The alignment for the AR 25 reroute was chosen a few months ago.  Ditto AR 89.

msunat97

Construction update:
AHTD has extended the concrete barriers further South towards the Pulaski / Faulkner county line.  It stops at the bridge area around Bell Slough WMA.  They have also paved a section of the new left lane around mile marker 133.  They have paint down, but left orange barrels up to block the lane.

golden eagle

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 23, 2013, 07:02:11 AM
Now if they could widen I-40 east of Little Rock....

Especially around West Memphis.

msunat97

I-40 Update in Conway...the last section of bridge over Hwy 64 in Conway has a completed deck in place.  The crew is not putting in concrete for the side barrier.  This is the Eastbound lane side.  Also, the deck for the Lake Conway bridge at mile marker 131-130 is complete, but not barrier wall has been built yet.

msunat97

I-40 update...the construction zone is extending East towards Little Rock.  There are orange barrels from the Faulker / Pulaski County line to the Morgan exit.  It looks like the concrete barriers will begin being placed this week of next.

AHTD

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

msunat97

Update...the EB side of the Highway 64 overpass in Conway is complete.  Looks like the center barrier will need to be installed in that area to complete the 6 lanes on that overpass.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on March 20, 2014, 09:22:41 AM
Update...the EB side of the Highway 64 overpass in Conway is complete.  Looks like the center barrier will need to be installed in that area to complete the 6 lanes on that overpass.

The roadway on either side is still being paved, so I doubt the bridge will be fully open anytime soon.

msunat97

US71...soon is a relative term when it comes to road construction.  IDrive says mid 2014...we shall see.  However, it looks like the eastern most  Eastbound Lake Conway bridge is complete.  They have only orange barrels keeping traffic off of it for now.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on March 24, 2014, 12:19:25 PM
US71...soon is a relative term when it comes to road construction.  IDrive says mid 2014...we shall see.  However, it looks like the eastern most  Eastbound Lake Conway bridge is complete.  They have only orange barrels keeping traffic off of it for now.

I drove through there this weekend. There are several short sections that are complete, but not one long stretch. In a couple places, you zig-zag onto the new lane, then back to the main roadway. 

The new exit signs are in place WB. I-40 now has dual control cities (Fort Smith, Oklahoma City). Skyline Dr (Exit 125 aka US 65 North) where the third lane ends, will be an Exit Only lane.

There is also work beginning at the far east end where the existing (unused) third lane ends.

msunat97

I only drive from Little Rock to the Dave Ward exit in Conway.  I rarely get all the way through as part of my normal travels.  I hope it is finished soon.  I hate driving under 70mph on the way home from Conway.

AHTD

Work has really progressed well on this series of projects.

Everything under construction now, should be complete by the end of summer. Then we anticipate letting the final piece, which will widen from Morgan/Maumelle Exit to (and including) the I-430 interchange.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.