News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekt8750

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 19, 2015, 08:57:41 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on April 19, 2015, 06:17:22 PM
Map of what I understand is being abandoned:

Could DelDOT motivated to get rid of this segment because of increased oil train traffic to the refinery and the grade crossing at the south end of the segment proposed for abandonment?

Could be. That Google Earth image is a bit dated as that rail yard to the right of the photo has since been expanded and now abuts DE1. They could very well have sold that off to Norfolk Southern to further expand that yard.

Alex4897

DelDOT held a workshop yesterday concerning methods of alleviating operational problems at DE 273 and Harmony Road, mostly related to the bad weave on westbound 273.  The options range from shutting down Harmony Road or completely redoing the interchange between DE 273 and I-95 and widening 273 to six lanes total, either way it's worth a look.  I'm interested to see what gets done as I travel through this interchange everyday and know first hand that this is a problem area.

http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/sr273_harmonyrd/workshop.shtml

I had already thought of something similar to alternatives 3A/B in terms of the westbound only signal, nice to see that I wasn't the only one.  :-P
👉😎👉

elsmere241

I'm glad at least a couple of alternatives deal with the tight weave on the other side involving I-95 NB to DE 273 EB.

Alex4897

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 13, 2015, 09:30:05 AM
I'm glad at least a couple of alternatives deal with the tight weave on the other side involving I-95 NB to DE 273 EB.
Not to mention they give DE 273 EB a deserved 2+ lanes of thru traffic.

An unrelated but interesting observation, Alternative 6 utilizes an old ROW that Harmony Road used to follow.
👉😎👉

Alex

The options that include a ramp to Christiana Hospital are the best IMO, but without that protected right-turn (I loathe protected right hand turns). Hospital access is the main reason why Harmony Road needs to remain a through street. Though going back to the mid-90s, area residents along Harmony have routinely advocated blocking the road to through traffic (which is why the chicanes and traffic islands were added).

Otherwise, I dislike most of these options. That weave concern has always been there, but its mostly an issue during the evening peak hours. You learn to anticipate it and make adjustments to compensate. Oh well, not like I drive through there daily like I once did, though I do use that interchange routinely when I am visiting home. The option that involves adding the most traffic signals is what DelDOT will choose.

Resurrect the Pike Creek Freeway north to Kirkwood Highway (Delaware 2), that's my suggestion.  :-P

Zeffy

Taking away the free-flow movement and replacing it with traffic signals just seems like a horrible idea to me.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alex4897

Quote from: Zeffy on May 13, 2015, 10:32:01 AM
Taking away the free-flow movement and replacing it with traffic signals just seems like a horrible idea to me.
It really is.  The only possibly beneficial signal is the proposed WB only one.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on May 13, 2015, 10:27:59 AM
Otherwise, I dislike most of these options. That weave concern has always been there, but its mostly an issue during the evening peak hours. You learn to anticipate it and make adjustments to compensate.

I'd agree with that, if it was just a congestion issue at the weave area.  But when accidents are higher than normal for a similar area; and when traffic backs up onto 95, causing congestion and accidents, which leads to more congestion on the highway, now there's a more significant issue. 

Considering all the traffic that moves thru that area, I don't know if additional traffic lights would help, considering the traffic light at Harmony road is the root cause of the congestion, and the weave complicates matters.

Closing Harmony Rd off from 273 isn't a totally bad idea, but I don't think enough consideration is being given to the traffic increase from those that will enter/exit from Brownleaf.  Even if it is mainly development traffic using that entrance, it'll still be a considerable increase in traffic for those living on that road.  While I understand the thought process of cutting off Harmony near Rt. 4 to prevent thru traffic from getting anywhere within the development, it would more negatively impact this development as they would need to access 4 or 273 to get to any stores; whereas now they can easily get to the nearby shopping center on 4 at Harmony or the (overpriced) Shell station on 273.

Alternative 4B is an interesting proposal of a DDI.

Alternative 9 is probably DOA.  Even if all of those residents were willing to give up their homes, the rest of the neighborhood would complain they now need to cross a highway to get to the school.  Not sure why that was even an option.

MASTERNC

Speed limit change on I-95 to 65 MPH takes place next week

http://deldot.gov/home/newsroom/release.shtml?id=5549

Alex4897

Here's a more organized summarization from someone who lives within the study area and commutes through the project area everyday.  I haven't had the time to fully consider each until now.

Alternatives 1, 2A, 2B:

Any closure of Harmony Road is a bad idea for a few reasons.

• The immediate neighborhoods lose access to vital thoroughfares, local businesses, other communities, public amenities, and the hospital. 
  • Access to the hospital is made increasingly complicated for the surrounding area, not just the immediate communities.
  • All that traffic has to go somewhere, be it neighborhood streets or other arteries.  I know for a fact that Red Mill Road could already stand either a widening or an intersection makeover at DE 2, it cannot handle the increased load that a closure of Harmony Road would bring.  It can barely handle its own traffic during rush hours (specifically PM rush).  Not to mention, I doubt the local neighborhoods would appreciate the cut through traffic this could potentially bring.

Alternative 3A:

I had come to the conclusion that a signal for the ramp from I-95 SB to DE 273 WB was a possoble solution long before I knew DelDOT had the same idea.  I think it solves problems with the weaving from there to Harmony Road in the best manner possible while increasing capacity (since they end up extending the 3 lane portion of DE 273 WB).

The EB proposal, while it does finally give DE 273 EB a continuous two lanes, ends up adding a traffic signal to replace the ramp from I-95 NB to DE 273 WB.  I personally never thought of that weave on DE 273 WB over the bridge to be a problem, simply because neither of the ramps involved are heavily travelled.  Now if they predict problems because of an added WB signal on the western end of the interchange relating to this merge, then okay.  Otherwise it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Alternative 3B:

Same as above, with the exception of alleviating the WB weave over I-95 without replacing the ramps.  Seems like a better solution than 3A since there's one less signal.

Alternative 4A, 4B:

I question ripping up the entirety of a free flowing interchange and forcing the busiest movements through another signal (specifically DE 273 EB to I-95 NB).  It seems incredibly costly just for the sake of downgrading an interchange. (although I will admit, a DDI with C/D lanes is kinda cool)

Alternative 5:

Yes please.  DE 273 is so under built for the function it serves through here.  This'd be fantastic coupled with other proposed changes at the interchange with I-95.

Alternative 6:

This could possibly work since it filters out virtually all of the Harmony Road bound traffic from the problematic weave.

Alternatives 7A, 7B:

These build off of Alternative 6 in that they include an extra off ramp from I-95 SB, but they also improve connectivity between the neighborhoods and the commercial complex off of DE 4.  As for which of these is better, I'd probably go for the one that ties into Brownleaf Road as that limits the amount of points where traffic is accessing Harmony Road.

Alternative 8A, 8B:

Too little, too late.  My issue here is similar to those of Alternatives 1, 2A, and 2B.  Removing access points is not a fantastic idea.

Alternative 9:

I'll echo jeffandnicole and say that this is DOA.  While it would certainly help Harmony Road traffic (although I think the intersections on either end of the proposal should be reworked), at what cost does it come?  This nukes a large amount of residences, most likely costs a significant amount of money, and won't solve the original problem this project sought to remedy unless paired with other alternatives.
👉😎👉

SteveG1988

65mph now posted along I-95, drove it today from 295 to the MD border.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

1995hoo

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 22, 2015, 07:57:28 PM

How fast was traffic moving on the whole?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SteveG1988

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 22, 2015, 09:17:50 PM

On the whole, the speed limit felt good.

70 at least.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Alex4897

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 22, 2015, 09:26:43 PM

70 at least.

The cops are out in force as a result though.  They all wait at the entrance to I-95 SB at the service area and nab people after the underpass for Salem Church Road.  There were three of them with people pulled over within a span of about 100 feet when I went through this morning, and at least four or five more were watching from the service area exit.
👉😎👉

Alex4897

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 22, 2015, 09:51:49 PM
Yo guys, I'm making another control city proposal for Delaware.
In my opinion our control cities are perfectly reasonable as they are, but I'll just pick out the glaring issues:

QuoteI-95 SB: New York up to MP 13.3
Traffic headed south is not going to New York because, well, that's the complete opposite direction.

QuoteDE 1 NB: Philadelphia and New York up to MP 103
What happened to Wilmington?

QuoteSB: Atlantic City up to MP 91.9
No one using DE 1 SB is going to Atlantic City.  AC traffic would've used the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

The plans are a bit eager to sign really long distance destinations while avoiding the local destinations that road users are actually going to.  If you're looking for a highway that needs control cities redone, see I-95 in Maryland (specifically northbound).

not to mention, going by mileposts is kind of confusing considering they aren't really landmarks we go by around here

👉😎👉

Alex4897

"Atlantic City" on DE 1 SB is because at exit 94 (I think), DE 1 intersects US 13. US 13 later intersects US 9. Using US 9 EB takes you to the Cape May-Lewes ferry. On the Cape May side, US 9 NB intersects US 30. US 30 EB heads to AC. Basically call it a second chance for lost drivers intended to go there.

Atlantic City is so out of the way it's not worth signing though.  The traffic using this road isn't thinking anything about New Jersey at this point, unless by some incredibly off chance they're using the ferry to get to Cape May (and honestly I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever talk about using the ferry to get anywhere).  If someone has managed to get themselves this lost they probably shouldn't be in charge of navigating.

QuoteWilmington disappeared in favor of Philadelphia, since Wilmington is pretty close from the I-95 interchange. Philadelphia seemed sensible here.

Since Wilmington is so much closer it makes much more sense to sign that instead of a city that's way further out and not as likely to have people going to it.

QuoteThe "New York" destination at MP 13.3 is that that is the I-295 interchange. I-295 NB will merge on to the NJ Turnpike (briefly) after the Delaware Memorial Bridge. You can continue onto the NJ Turnpike towards New York. That's pretty much your last reminder south of New York City telling you that there is another way to NY and NYC.

This is another situation that is rare enough that there's no point in signing it.  The entire interstate shouldn't be signed as heading to New York, as it in fact does not go there.  The vast majority of the traffic is going to continue southward towards Newark.  Why sign the freeway for the sake of a very very select few?

Control cities need to be assigned based off of how helpful they are to the majority people using the road.  I'm not sure you understand who's using these roads and where most of them are trying to get to.
👉😎👉

SteveG1988

Quote from: Alex4897 on May 22, 2015, 10:03:39 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 22, 2015, 09:26:43 PM

70 at least.

The cops are out in force as a result though.  They all wait at the entrance to I-95 SB at the service area and nab people after the underpass for Salem Church Road.  There were three of them with people pulled over within a span of about 100 feet when I went through this morning, and at least four or five more were watching from the service area exit.

Yeah, I'm governed in the semi at 65mph. Traffic flow was heavy, but moving at 65-70 no problem.
Roads Clinched

jeffandnicole

I recall when Jersey first went to 65, there was heavy enforcement and due to the warnings of higher fines, traffic flowed at 65 or just above. Strict enforcement relaxed after a while, and for most people today they are more concerned with people using phones and other issues more so than speeding.

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on May 22, 2015, 09:51:49 PMSB: Baltimore up to MP 23.4
Suggestion: when using southbound references, use the word down instead of up; especially since milesposts decrease as one heads southbound.

Quote from: corrected exampleSB: Baltimore down to MP 23.4
Such makes your posts regarding southbound destination legends much easier to read/follow.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

I drove all of 95 in Delaware on Monday evening, except between the MD State Line and Exit 1,  DE 896.  (No, I wasn't shunpiking...I was at an event near that road).  Since it was rush hour and raining heavily, I managed to hit 65 mph for about a mile along that entire stretch.

Interesting to note: The 65 mph signs used are the very standard 65 mph signs.  Yet, the 65 mph signs on 495 continue to be the electronic.  The 65 mph signs are off both the left and right shoulders of 95, which makes sense as 95 is 4 or 5 lanes wide.

Going North:  The 65 mph zone extends to the following areas:

At the 95/295 split:  65 mph continues thru Interchange 5A/5B, DE 141, which I believe is DRBA jurisdicition.  It ends just as traffic from Rt. 141 enters I-295.

At the 95/495 split: 65 mph continues directly onto I-495.

On 95 North:  65 mph does not end until after 295 South has merged onto 95 North.  The 55 mph signs are located where 495 South crosses over 95 North (where you see the 55 mph sign here: http://goo.gl/maps/7ktyA)

Going South:

95 South:  The signage begins after the 495 ramps have touched down onto 95, approximately right here: http://goo.gl/maps/fjIvf

65 mph continues at the Express EZ Pass/Cash split at Exit 1, approaching the toll plaza. I don't know if the speed limit drops in the Express Lanes as you approach the plaza.

Alex

Sussex shopping center overpass could cost $15M

QuoteThe Overbrook Town Center shopping complex, if approved by Sussex County, would likely take six years to be fully constructed, an attorney for the project's developer said Tuesday. The developer said a key highway interchange for it could cost $15 million, about twice the amount the company will put towards its construction.

QuoteRob Arlett, another councilmember, said he's heard from plenty of constituents with traffic concerns. The developer has consulted with the Department of Transportation and designed a new interchange for Cave Neck Road and Del. 1, including an overpass and traffic flow that would move cars turning west onto Cave Neck Road through the shopping center's side roads.

Louis A. DiBitonto, a Trout Development principal, reiterated the company's previous pledge to spend $8 million on the interchange. But he told Arlett the company would not agree to increase its spending for the overpass to match its true cost, which he said was estimated to be $12 million to $15 million.

QuoteWithout a developer subsidy, of course, any interchange there would be funded wholly by DelDOT's taxpayer dollars; however, DelDOT does not have any near-term plans to build a Cave Neck Road interchange on its own.

The project seems to be decidedly unpopular in Sussex County. Lawrence Lank, the county's director of planning and zoning, said his office received 1,890 missives in opposition to it, compared to seven letters and emails supporting it. Opponents crowded into the county meeting room for the hearing, some wearing buttons that read "I say no to OTC."

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2015, 09:34:47 AM
I drove all of 95 in Delaware on Monday evening, except between the MD State Line and Exit 1,  DE 896.  (No, I wasn't shunpiking...I was at an event near that road).  Since it was rush hour and raining heavily, I managed to hit 65 mph for about a mile along that entire stretch.

Nothing wrong with shunpiking. Hell I managed to shunpike the entire Mid-Atlantic portion of 95 over the weekend coming back from Virginia. Makes for a little more fun drive.

ixnay

Quote from: ekt8750 on June 03, 2015, 03:31:47 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2015, 09:34:47 AM

Nothing wrong with shunpiking. Hell I managed to shunpike the entire Mid-Atlantic portion of 95 over the weekend coming back from Virginia. Makes for a little more fun drive.

I shunpiked 66'd I-81 via U.S. 11 between Staunton, VA and Williamsport, MD in one day during a 2009 vacation.

And since this thread has to do with Delaware roads, I've shunpiked 66'd U.S. 13 by taking the secondary road from Delmar north through Laurel, Blades, Seaford, and into Bridgeville.  Sixty-sixing (or Sshunpiking)can be fun.

ixnay
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

jeffandnicole

Shunpiking is done to avoid tolls. There are no tolls on 81 & 13 in those areas.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 04, 2015, 09:58:51 PM
Shunpiking is done to avoid tolls. There are no tolls on 81 & 13 in those areas.

At this point it's just sight-seeing.
👉😎👉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.