News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Potential 2023 Grand Forks, North Dakota Meet

Started by Brandon, August 23, 2022, 08:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dates for the Grand Forks Road Meet

Saturday, May 20, 2023
4 (57.1%)
Saturday, May 27, 2023 (Memorial Day Weekend)
3 (42.9%)
Sunday, May 28, 2023 (Memorial Day Weekend)
3 (42.9%)
Saturday, June 3, 2023
3 (42.9%)
Saturday, June 10, 2023
3 (42.9%)
Saturday, June 17, 2023
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: November 26, 2022, 07:55:23 PM

Brandon

I'm thinking of holding a road meet in Grand Forks, North Dakota next year.  There's some sights to see up there, and it's a place where no one has held a meet yet.  Please choose possible dates in the poll above, up to four choices.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

webny99

oscar

Quote from: webny99 on August 23, 2022, 11:00:50 PM
Emphasis on *some* sights to see  ;-)

The most obvious sight is in Rugby ND (geographic center of North America), but that's more than two hours away, or four hours round-trip. Fargo is about an hour and a half away. Grand Forks is also a hop, skip, and jump to Winnipeg (control city for I-29 north of Grand Forks).

I've been to North Dakota a lot, often while visiting relatives in South Dakota. But even my enthusiasm for making another return visit is pretty low.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

I voted Memorial weekend, but it's close enough to me that I probably don't need to worry too much about the date. Western MN is where a lot of my outstanding undriven mileage is in the state, so anything that gives me a chance to clean some of that up is good news for me.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

A.J. Bertin

I'm interested, depending on timing.  I voted for May 20 but could potentially attend if it's the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.  The June dates are questionable for me.
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

Definitely interested. I need an excuse to spend time in ND anyway. I wouldn't be interested in attending on Memorial Day weekend for several reasons but any other listed date should work for me.

TheHighwayMan3561

I removed my vote as not to influence the outcome, since I will likely be able to attend any of the dates should you go ahead with this idea.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

jpi

I would be interested since I have barely touched North Dakota by 1 county back in July 2015 but not voting yet, if all goes to plan Steph and I are cross country road triping back to Albuquerque next July and includes clinching the last of I-70 I need and get some Utah counties too so we shall see
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 29, 2022, 08:14:58 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2022, 12:45:32 PM
Why Grand Forks, out of curiosity?

Because North Dakota. #DudeWheresMyRespect

Fargo ND is on two Interstates, and more convenient to many potential attendees (maybe not TheHighwayMan394).

There's a famous movie set (not filmed) in Fargo. Grand Forks was praised by the author of Blue Highways (who was pleased he wasn't ripped off on an emergency auto repair there), but not sure what other pop culture fame it might have.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SSOWorld

Brandon can correct me if I'm wrong - but he has family up there so easy to scout.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

I'm not speaking for the host, but my answer would be... "why not?"
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 30, 2022, 06:28:55 AM

I'm not speaking for the host, but my answer would be... "why not?"

Sure! Why Not?   ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 30, 2022, 04:45:18 AM
Brandon can correct me if I'm wrong - but he has family up there so easy to scout.

Yes, I do.  I've done some recon myself when I've been up there before.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2022, 04:49:05 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on August 30, 2022, 04:45:18 AM

Yes, I do.  I've done some recon myself when I've been up there before.

Funny enough... my husband actually has extended family in the Grand Forks area too.  He and I are planning on taking a vacation next summer to North Dakota and some other areas out west to visit some of his family members and explore somewhat.  We are planning to spend some time in Grand Forks, but that will likely be later in the summer (completely separate from me attending this road meet if I can make it).  I've never been to Grand Forks before, but there's chance I might go there twice in 2023!
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

Consider me interested. I should have plenty of PTO in the bank to burn by then.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

brianreynolds

I am interested.  If finances allow and no major family obligations arise, I will attend.

okroads

Count me in as interested also. I'm hoping to attend more road meets in 2023 after attending none since June 2020 due to various factors.

A.J. Bertin

Hey, Brandon... it looks like May 20 is the date that won in this poll.  Are you thinking that's the date you might host this meet?
-A.J. from Michigan

signalman

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on November 28, 2022, 12:51:18 PM
Hey, Brandon... it looks like May 20 is the date that won in this poll.  Are you thinking that's the date you might host this meet?
This was my first choice for a date, so I hope that is what Brandon chooses. But we will have to wait until he makes things official.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: signalman on November 29, 2022, 04:35:46 AM
This was my first choice for a date, so I hope that is what Brandon chooses.

Same here.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Yes, it looks like May 20 is the winner.  It's my first choice as well, coincidentally (no, I did not vote in my own poll).

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on November 30, 2022, 05:16:06 PM

Yes, it looks like May 20 is the winner.  It's my first choice as well, coincidentally (no, I did not vote in my own poll).

Sweet!  I'll submit my time-off request at work for the days off that I'll need for the drive out and back.  At this point, I'm definitely planning on attending.  Once my request is approved, I'll book my lodging for the trip.  :D
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Have fun guys, going to have to skip this, Steph and I have a date with Billy Joel and Stevie Nicks in Nashville the night before May 20  ;-) and we are planning on travelling cross country in July anyway.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.