News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2019 meets

Started by cjk374, March 23, 2018, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on April 23, 2018, 09:29:59 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on April 23, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I'd be interested in a Philadelphia road meet. I probably won't host (a 14 year old kid?), but I have a few ideas.

-I-95/PA Turnpike Interchange construction
-PA 90 remnants (I-95 interchange, ramp stubs, etc.)
-Old alignments of assorted roads (US 1, US 13, US 422, etc.)
-Gustine Lake Interchange (button copy signs and such)
-Abandoned PA 291 in Philly Int'l Airport

Postmeet dinner: Philadelphia's a large city, there are tons of choices.
Go ahead and host! Hosting is easy. Put together an itinerary and pick a lunch spot. The hard part is monitoring attendees. You do not have to drive to host.

Maybe I should volunteer to help the kid, since I was the one who instigated the talk about a Philly meet, at the post-meet dinner (with you and Dan).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vdeane

I could have sworn I remembered something on this forum about the possibility of an I-95 ramp meet later this year, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hurricane Rex

If its possible to have one out west, I would selfishly love that to happen. I know its not likely though.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

cl94

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 24, 2018, 01:40:30 AM
If its possible to have one out west, I would selfishly love that to happen. I know its not likely though.

Host one. Seriously. Not many people out west who have the ability to.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: cl94 on April 24, 2018, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on April 24, 2018, 01:40:30 AM

Host one. Seriously. Not many people out west who have the ability to.

It would be hard for me to do that oustsude of the summer months but I'll see what I can do.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

mgk920

I wouldn't mind co-hosting a 2019 NE Wisconsin meet.  Lots of good construction pron going on here with the 'big shovel' I-41/US 10/WI 441 work and we can include a followup exploration of the Green Bay area such as check out the streets under the I-41/WI 29/32 Shawano interchange that we weren't able to do in 2014 (among many other things), the new WI 96 Fox River bridge in Wrightstown, etc.

Mike

Desert Man

How about one for Southern or all of my state CA? Have one in the winter season in Palm Springs...or better yet, Disneyland Hotel near the happiest place on earth (Anaheim, Orange County, close to I-5/former US 101). I call it the "AA-CA 2019" or "2020" when the road meet idea ever materializes, cus I would like to meet some of my AA roads forum friends in person.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Desert Man on July 19, 2018, 07:24:36 PM
How about one for Southern or all of my state CA? Have one in the winter season in Palm Springs...or better yet, Disneyland Hotel near the happiest place on earth (Anaheim, Orange County, close to I-5/former US 101). I call it the "AA-CA 2019" or "2020" when the road meet idea ever materializes, cus I would like to meet some of my AA roads forum friends in person.
You can certainly organize it :)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

Certainly up to you but a CA meet would be popular in the winter months, I'm sure. There's less competition for dates and people eager to get out of the cold.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Desert Man

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 19, 2018, 07:44:33 PM
Quote from: Desert Man on July 19, 2018, 07:24:36 PM
You can certainly organize it :)

Thanx (what a no brainer), but I need plenty of people interested in going there or I won't have a crowd to host.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

oscar

Quote from: Desert Man on July 19, 2018, 09:14:17 PM
Thanx (what a no brainer), but I need plenty of people interested in going there or I won't have a crowd to host.

We just had a three-person meet. Something to be said for starting with a small event, and moving up as you gain experience.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2018, 09:37:36 PM
I've a few ideas:

1. Peoria
2. SE Chicago/Hammond
3. South Suburbs/NW Indiana

Out of these ideas, I rather like Peoria. ;)
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: oscar on July 19, 2018, 09:23:35 PM

We just had a three-person meet. Something to be said for starting with a small event, and moving up as you gain experience.

I agree with Oscar. I'm not sure why "plenty" of people are needed in order for a road meet to take place, but I guess each person has his/her preferences. Is there a minimum number of attendees that you're hoping to have in order to organize a meet?
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Peoria. I may be in the south Suburbs later this year.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 25, 2018, 06:18:08 PM

I agree with Oscar. I'm not sure why "plenty" of people are needed in order for a road meet to take place, but I guess each person has his/her preferences. Is there a minimum number of attendees that you're hoping to have in order to organize a meet?

I think some people feel that it's a waste of time to organize something and then only have a very few people show up. Quite honestly, I was disappointed with the turnout for my western Kentucky meet last fall. I'd scouted it extensively last summer, then went the day before the meet and tweaked the tour. Seemed to me to be an awful lot of work and personal expense to only have four people show up. It was a good meet with good company, but I would have preferred more attendees.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Springfield/Branson was 3 people the first day, 2 people the second.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2018, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 25, 2018, 06:18:08 PM

I think some people feel that it's a waste of time to organize something and then only have a very few people show up. Quite honestly, I was disappointed with the turnout for my western Kentucky meet last fall. I'd scouted it extensively last summer, then went the day before the meet and tweaked the tour. Seemed to me to be an awful lot of work and personal expense to only have four people show up. It was a good meet with good company, but I would have preferred more attendees.

I guess this is another reason why I like my idea of hosting a do-it-yourself "city meet" so that the host doesn't have to go to great lengths to plan a tour with the risk that only a few people might show up. It gives people an excuse to travel to a different place but it doesn't put a ton of pressure on the host.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 26, 2018, 07:09:03 AM

I guess this is another reason why I like my idea of hosting a do-it-yourself "city meet" so that the host doesn't have to go to great lengths to plan a tour with the risk that only a few people might show up. It gives people an excuse to travel to a different place but it doesn't put a ton of pressure on the host.

At the Route 66 Convention in Texas a couple weeks ago, there were a couple driving tours you could do on your own. Directions were available and you could do them on your own time. I opted to do one, but saved the directions for the other until another time.

Naked.Driver

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 25, 2018, 06:16:52 PM
Quote from: Brandon on March 23, 2018, 09:37:36 PM
I’ve a few ideas:

1. Peoria
2. SE Chicago/Hammond
3. South Suburbs/NW Indiana

Out of these ideas, I rather like Peoria. ;)
any of those sound good to me.
i would enjoy meeting up with some of you fellow road geeks.
i was in mi in summer, and the w. coast in spring for the bare to breakers plus completing the counties of or and wy. missed the events i wanted to attend in chi in june.
i also rode in the “bam” in june and ragbrai® in july. fun, but grueling. for those, i wore as little as i could get away with legally. ☻
for my counties, see naked_driver on mob-rule.
highways are at my highways.
drive as i do!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Naked.Driver on August 22, 2018, 09:43:47 PM
i would enjoy meeting up with some of you fellow road geeks.
i was in mi in summer, and the w. coast in spring for the bare to breakers plus completing the counties of or and wy. missed the events i wanted to attend in chi in june.
i also rode in the "bam"  in june and ragbrai® in july. fun, but grueling. for those, i wore as little as i could get away with legally. ☻

We always enjoy meeting new road geeks and welcoming them into our community. It's always nice meeting new people in person.

Your nickname on here is amusing! LOL
-A.J. from Michigan

Dougtone

Quote from: Dougtone on March 26, 2018, 08:48:14 PM
I keep on batting around ideas for different meets. I don't know if I will get around to it in 2018, but perhaps in 2019, a meet in Essex County, Massachusetts (centered around Newburyport, Mass.) may be in order.

With the Providence city meet slated for Spring 2019, a Newburyport meet should work for sometime during Fall 2019.

cpzilliacus

I have toyed with a Northern Virginia/Maryland managed and toll lanes meet. 

The managed lanes on I-95 in Fairfax, Prince William and Stafford Counties are open, and being extended further south. 

The reconstruction of I-66 into a 3 "free" lanes and 2 managed/toll lanes is under way between Gainesville and I-495.  The reconstruction of the I-395 HOV lanes into HOV/Toll lanes is under way (and will extend the  I-95 lanes to the Virginia side of the Potomac River).

Maryland's MD-200 is complete.

Maryland's I-95 Express Toll Lanes may be under construction to extend further north (at least one contract related to that is advertised for bid right now). 

The big I-895 Canton Viaduct replacement project will be under way.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Jmiles32

Would definitely be interested in attending a NOVA/Maryland 2019 meet. Best time for me would probably be early summer. Another perk is that by then many of the massive road projects in the area should be well underway.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

noelbotevera

Decided to try and do a Pittsburgh meet. It's long overdue, but I feel someone had to do it at some point.

CNGL-Leudimin

I may throw in the European roadmeet I proposed as an April fools' prank. Still not sure.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.