1 (12.5%)
April 13
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

US71

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 10, 2019, 09:55:48 PM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 10, 2019, 08:52:11 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 10, 2019, 07:18:37 PMA good area to have lunch at a restaurant in and around Bartlett TN would be its suburb of Wolfchase, where there is a mall (the Wolfchase Galleria, the largest in the Greater Memphis area) that lost its Sears at the end of last year (2018).

For better or worse, the immediate Wolfchase area is mostly chain restaurants.  There's a Gus' near Stage (US64) & Germantown that offers regional food that isn't BBQ.  There's a nice Vietnamese place that I'm partial to on US64 just east of I-40, but the seating there is not good for groups.

The only place I've been to recently in Bartlett proper is the Panda Buffet - I think it's better-than-decent semi-Americanized Chinese buffet, and my father is (and my later mother was) fond of it.

I know that there's BBQ in Bartlett proper...but as a child of Midtown, I never had a need to go quite that far.  There is a Corky's on Germantown Parkway a couple miles south of I-40 -- perhaps a little overrated, but an option for entertaining groups from out of town with the local headline cuisine.

And really, there's one of almost anything, local and chain, along Germantown Parkway between I-40 and Walnut Grove.

Corky's could work but Jason said that lunch would be in Bartlett, not Cordova.

I'm not sure having the meet lunch at a buffet could work, but we'll see.

I should note that the Gus' is right in front of the hotel I just looked at! What a coincidence...

No buffet for Lunch. I always eat too much and don't fancy being sick from overeating during the tour.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jpi

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, Cordova is not too far from Bartlett, either way it will be somewhere in that general area, the last time I did a Memphis meet we did Huey's but I am leaning towards a different place, again I will be scouting over the next couple months and even have a toy show in the area lined up on Saturday March 2 and will be doing scouting that Friday afternoon and after the show, also the restaurant will be sit down, no buffet and more then likely be some type of casual dining , so far Corky's may be the top choice but again we will see, also my plan is to either drive my mini van or get a rental mini van to help with car pooling, also chances are my wife Stephanie will be along and eat lunch with us.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

MikeTheActuary

Additional thought:  Corky's might be a little heavy for a pre-tour meal - it (or Central, or... the full list would be lengthy) might work better for a post-drive dinner.

There is a McAlister's Deli at Stage and Kirby-Whitten in Bartlett, next door to the Panda Buffet.  I haven't been to that particular McAlisters, but I am familiar with a couple other outposts of the regional chain.  Sandwiches, baked potatoes, salads.

I'm disappointed that I haven't yet thought about the Lenny's near Wolfchase.  The Hyatt Place near there was my default residence in Memphis after I got my parents' house sold until this year.  (The hotel I "live" at in Montreal changed affiliation, so I'm changing brands in Memphis for status/points.)

I'll put Lenny's at #2 on my to-try list, I guess.   When I go down in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping that I'll finally have a chance to try the Kooky Canuck in Cordova.  I don't know that it's any good...but I have a morbid curiosity about a Memphis interpretation of poutine.

kevinb1994

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 11, 2019, 03:13:52 PM
Additional thought:  Corky's might be a little heavy for a pre-tour meal - it (or Central, or... the full list would be lengthy) might work better for a post-drive dinner.

There is a McAlister's Deli at Stage and Kirby-Whitten in Bartlett, next door to the Panda Buffet.  I haven't been to that particular McAlisters, but I am familiar with a couple other outposts of the regional chain.  Sandwiches, baked potatoes, salads.

I'm disappointed that I haven't yet thought about the Lenny's near Wolfchase.  The Hyatt Place near there was my default residence in Memphis after I got my parents' house sold until this year.  (The hotel I "live" at in Montreal changed affiliation, so I'm changing brands in Memphis for status/points.)

I'll put Lenny's at #2 on my to-try list, I guess.   When I go down in a couple of weeks, I'm hoping that I'll finally have a chance to try the Kooky Canuck in Cordova.  I don't know that it's any good...but I have a morbid curiosity about a Memphis interpretation of poutine.

There's also Jason's Deli ;)

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 11, 2019, 05:44:13 PMThere’s also Jason’s Deli ;)

I actually prefer Jason's to McAlisters, but if Corky's was flagged as being more Cordova than Bartlett/Wolfchase...the closest Jason's is even further away.  Also, I was trying to focus on local/regional places.

A couple of other possibilities that might be worth considering, depending on how "new"/topical the points of interest might need to be:

• The rebuilt eastern I-40/I-240 interchange might be new to some.
  • The path on the northern side of the Harahan bridge might be new to some.  Parking is a bit limited on the Memphis side, but that's the quickest place to be on the bridge over the river.  The Arkansas side has better parking and access to the old ramps.
  • If any transit geeks are in attendance, the downtown loop of the MATA trolley has gone back into operation in the past year.

kevinb1994

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 11, 2019, 06:12:25 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 11, 2019, 05:44:13 PMThere's also Jason's Deli ;)

I actually prefer Jason's to McAlisters, but if Corky's was flagged as being more Cordova than Bartlett/Wolfchase...the closest Jason's is even further away.  Also, I was trying to focus on local/regional places.

A couple of other possibilities that might be worth considering, depending on how "new"/topical the points of interest might need to be:

• The rebuilt eastern I-40/I-240 interchange might be new to some.
  • The path on the northern side of the Harahan bridge might be new to some.  Parking is a bit limited on the Memphis side, but that's the quickest place to be on the bridge over the river.  The Arkansas side has better parking and access to the old ramps.
  • If any transit geeks are in attendance, the downtown loop of the MATA trolley has gone back into operation in the past year.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Memphis has a neat trolley system. Might be worth checking out if we have the time to do so.

Brandon

I'll be here, one way or another.  I have the wild idea of taking the City of New Orleans down and back, or flying down then the train back just for something different.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kevinb1994

Quote from: Brandon on January 13, 2019, 08:24:19 PM
I'll be here, one way or another.  I have the wild idea of taking the City of New Orleans down and back, or flying down then the train back just for something different.

I like that idea, wish we had more train service here in JAX like we did when the old Flagler Depot/Union Depot/Union Station/Union Terminal was being serviced by trains routed via Atlanta to here.

The least that can be done is restoration of Sunset Limited service east of NOLA but that isn't happening.

JTA has just topped out the steel frame interior of the brand-new transportation center downtown (technically in LaVilla), which will have Skyway people-mover access, local/regional and Greyhound bus service plus taxi cab service, and may potentially entice Amtrak to move back to Downtown (LaVilla) after spending most of their time at a 1970s-era station complex on the outskirts of the city (NW), in addition to potential Brightline service and First Coast Commuter Rail service.

jpi

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like we have a 3 way tie between 3/30, 4/13 and 4/20, I am starting to lean towards 4/13 since that is not Easter weekend and is a little later into April, weather wise for the mid south it should be mid to even upper 70's for a high and hopefully dry, as for the restaurant options I will keep all of them in mind. we still have a ways to go and the voting poll is still open so still a little bit of time to pin down a date, when I do have the date set I will create a Facebook event for this.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Quote from: jpi on January 15, 2019, 12:45:24 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, looks like we have a 3 way tie between 3/30, 4/13 and 4/20, I am starting to lean towards 4/13 since that is not Easter weekend and is a little later into April, weather wise for the mid south it should be mid to even upper 70's for a high and hopefully dry, as for the restaurant options I will keep all of them in mind. we still have a ways to go and the voting poll is still open so still a little bit of time to pin down a date, when I do have the date set I will create a Facebook event for this.

Don't forget about those of us who aren't on social media.  :)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

codyg1985

I may actually be able to make this one and make it a long day trip. I just need to know a date soon so I can ask my wife to take off so she can watch the twins (or, come along if she wants to).
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 10, 2019, 06:38:41 PM
Just an observation: There are still four MemFix4 closures to be scheduled in the coming months.

I haven't heard when they might be....but of the options proposed, the 20th (Easter weekend) is the one weekend that would definitely not see a MemFix closure.

(I will actually be in Memphis on the 20th...but I suspect that getting my father to/from choir at church will preclude joining in.)

An update to this:

The next round of MemFix4 closures has been scheduled:  1-4 Feb, 8-11 Feb, and 15-18 Feb. 

The project plan called for "up to 12 closures", and these are closures 9, 10, and 11.  The odds are MemFix won't be an issue for a meet.

(I have a hotel reservation close to the closed area on that first weekend.  That should be interesting....)

mattpedersen

For me to attend, I need a April date, because March leave requests are closed now in my office. Is anyone from the mid-Atlantic carpooling, or should I consider booking a flight?

jpi

Looks like April 13 is the top choice, the poll is still open for another 10 days but so far all sights are aiming for 4/13
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

After my visit to Memphis last week, I will recommend including both ends of the Big River Crossing (aka Harahan Bridge).
However, you'll have to keep a tight leash on the group for stragglers. I found it took me 40-50 minutes to walk from one to the other and back.
I would also find someway to include a drive along Tn 175 between Tn385 and Riverdale Rd. I had never experienced a road with so many random road widths on a state highway. I would include it for the "bizarre" factor.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jpi

Well everyone, looks like April 20 is out, I now have a diecast toy show scheduled in the Huntsville, AL area that day, again the polls still open for a few more days but I am taking 4/20 off the poll.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kevinb1994

Jason, it looks like the poll is tied again, there's still less than a week left though.

jpi

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 02, 2019, 04:34:57 AM
Jason, it looks like the poll is tied again, there’s still less than a week left though.
I know, I am now aiming at April 13
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kevinb1994

Quote from: jpi on February 02, 2019, 11:25:00 AM
Jason, it looks like the poll is tied again, there's still less than a week left though.

Ok just making sure. Now the date you're aiming for is in first place.

SSOWorld

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 02, 2019, 01:36:48 PM

My, my you really are being observant.  Please stop.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 02, 2019, 05:59:54 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 02, 2019, 01:36:48 PM

My, my you really are being observant.  Please stop.

Done and done, your wish has been granted sir.

jpi

Ok, April 13 is now a done deal, the poll closes on 2/8 but safe to say April 13 is the preferred date, I will be setting up a Facebook event later this week and I am leaning towards McAlisters for lunch and then have a post meet dinner at Corky's but I will research both later this week, Saunder since you were in Memphis recently feel free to chime in with any other suggestions for food options and I will keep that in mind. Thanks everyone for the info
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Duke87

*crawls out of woodwork*

This is... on my radar. My only prior experience with Memphis is driving through it on I-40, so it's an unexplored city with plenty of unclinched roads and nearby unclinched counties. Could also use this as an excuse to grab some airline miles, since American does fly direct to MEM from LGA.

I am holding off on committing only because I want to wait and see if work might want me to be somewhere the week before or after before I sign on to this.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

I cannot commit at this time.  As much as I-269 is tempting, I've been to Memphis too much in 2015.  Also my big trip money is reserved for Little Rhody/Canada IF I feel it's logistically feasible.  (double long trips seem to happen only every 5 years lately ;) )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mattpedersen

Is there anyone in the DC region going at this point? I'd be cool with carpooling.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.