Regional Boards > Northeast

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

<< < (2/129) > >>

PHLBOS:
I'm also interested in seeing the 'missing' turning movement (from NJ 42 North to I-295 South) being finally added.  I'm assuming that that phase will be in one of the other 4 related contracts.

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: PHLBOS on January 24, 2013, 01:02:56 PM ---I'm also interested in seeing the 'missing' turning movement (from NJ 42 North to I-295 South) being finally added.  I'm assuming that that phase will be in one of the other 4 related contracts.

--- End quote ---

Believe it or not...NO!

This is actually a separate project that has been long delayed. Originally, the missing move ramps were supposed to be constructed around 2006-2008, following an alignment relatively far removed from this interchange (see http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/studies/rt295/pdf/AirQualityTES.pdf, page 2-9 for the proposed alignment). The Feds had said that those ramps must be built first as well to relieve the strain of traffic on the main interchange.  The missing moves ramps will be going over an old landfill that is currently being and capped, and is supposed to have a shopping center built on top, including a Bass Pro Shop.

The Developer wanted more of a localized street connecting the two highways with intersections and traffic lights, which would allow direct access to his shopping plaza.  So the developer convinced the local town to hold off on their blessing for the project, and NJDOT delayed it. 

The last I heard was while the developer won that fight, what he didn't count on was the various shops that have interest in the shopping center didn't want to sign contracts because of the planned interchange construction (makes sense...nothing deters traffic like a construction project!).  Thus, the developer couldn't obtain the agreements from the various companies needed to secure loans for the project!

So...the new plan is the old plan - a ramp that'll connect 295 and 42.  In the meantime, the Feds dropped their demand to have these ramps built first. 

The current 5 year Capital Plan for NJDOT shows this project going out to bid in FY2014, and taking about 2 - 3 years to construct.

cpzilliacus:
I still wish that NJDOT and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority would get it together and build a direct connection (Steve Anderson called it Exit 2A) from the Turnpike to I-76/N.J. 42.

BrianP:

--- Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 24, 2013, 04:02:50 PM ---I still wish that NJDOT and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority would get it together and build a direct connection (Steve Anderson called it Exit 2A) from the Turnpike to I-76/N.J. 42.

--- End quote ---
There isn't really a need for that. I'd say that the NJ Turnpike on that stretch primarily carries traffic that is just passing through Southern NJ.  Traffic that originates or terminates in the South Jersey region can use I-295. That's what I do.

Oh and I'm missing the I-295 NJ 42 missing moves since I actually would use that movement.  Now I have to use US 130 and go through Brooklawn etc.  So that is the one flaw with using I-295.  It's good to know it may be dealt with in a few years.  But please we don't need a shopping center causing another Breezewood in NJ.

Alps:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2013, 01:45:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: PHLBOS on January 24, 2013, 01:02:56 PM ---I'm also interested in seeing the 'missing' turning movement (from NJ 42 North to I-295 South) being finally added.  I'm assuming that that phase will be in one of the other 4 related contracts.

--- End quote ---

Believe it or not...NO!

This is actually a separate project that has been long delayed. Originally, the missing move ramps were supposed to be constructed around 2006-2008, following an alignment relatively far removed from this interchange (see http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/works/studies/rt295/pdf/AirQualityTES.pdf, page 2-9 for the proposed alignment). The Feds had said that those ramps must be built first as well to relieve the strain of traffic on the main interchange.  The missing moves ramps will be going over an old landfill that is currently being and capped, and is supposed to have a shopping center built on top, including a Bass Pro Shop.

The Developer wanted more of a localized street connecting the two highways with intersections and traffic lights, which would allow direct access to his shopping plaza.  So the developer convinced the local town to hold off on their blessing for the project, and NJDOT delayed it. 

The last I heard was while the developer won that fight, what he didn't count on was the various shops that have interest in the shopping center didn't want to sign contracts because of the planned interchange construction (makes sense...nothing deters traffic like a construction project!).  Thus, the developer couldn't obtain the agreements from the various companies needed to secure loans for the project!

So...the new plan is the old plan - a ramp that'll connect 295 and 42.  In the meantime, the Feds dropped their demand to have these ramps built first. 

The current 5 year Capital Plan for NJDOT shows this project going out to bid in FY2014, and taking about 2 - 3 years to construct.

--- End quote ---
Very accurate summary. The ramps will still be built to allow future development of the site, so there is somewhat of an alteration from the original 2006 plan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version