News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on July 26, 2022, 03:28:17 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 25, 2022, 11:06:58 PM
The new Creek Rd exit on NJ42 North opened this past weekend. Creek Rd has been renumbered to 14B with 14A being the future ramp to I-295 South.
It won't be 1A to match the Southbound numbering? Does that mean Exit 1B will be renumbered as well? Will southbound exits be renumbered to match?
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 26, 2022, 03:45:29 PM
Southbound is signed Exit 14 currently. Remember this is firmly NJ-42 and uses its mileage for exits.

Personally, it's still wrong, and should have been Exit 14B (or 1A).

It's really up to the discretion of the engineer and NJDOT.  There's no solid one answer to this issue.  And this interchange has a whole host of issues when you dig down deep.

It's generally best to have the same exit number in both directions.  In this case, that would be using I-76's Exit 1A.

But, this new exit is fully on Route 42, which means using Route 42's exit numbering system, which they decided would be Exit 14A.

Except, existing Exit 1A from I-76 EB is actually located on Route 42.  I-76 ends (and begins) at the Browning Road overpass.  So this exit should be Exit 14B, as it comes before existing Exit 14 for Creek Road.

Back to the new ramp:  It takes off from NJ 42 at about MP 13.4 and crosses over Rt. 42 at about MP 13.7, which makes the argument the exit should actually be signed as Exit 13, not Exit 14.

Unless you use the argument that it's where the main roadway crosses the highway, in which case 295 crosses Rt. 42 at MP 14.1, which means the new exit should be Exit 14B, not Exit 14A, because this crossing of I-295 is further north than where Creek Road crosses Route 42, so the Creek Road should be Exit 14A, not Exit 14B, except we already established the opposing exit is Exit 1A because it's using I-76's MP numbering...

So, as you see, there's actually a whole lot of issues numbering this exit, and really, the entire interchange. 

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 26, 2022, 05:28:55 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on July 26, 2022, 03:28:17 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 25, 2022, 11:06:58 PM
The new Creek Rd exit on NJ42 North opened this past weekend. Creek Rd has been renumbered to 14B with 14A being the future ramp to I-295 South.
It won't be 1A to match the Southbound numbering? Does that mean Exit 1B will be renumbered as well? Will southbound exits be renumbered to match?
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 26, 2022, 03:45:29 PM
Southbound is signed Exit 14 currently. Remember this is firmly NJ-42 and uses its mileage for exits.

Personally, it's still wrong, and should have been Exit 14B (or 1A).

It's really up to the discretion of the engineer and NJDOT.  There's no solid one answer to this issue.  And this interchange has a whole host of issues when you dig down deep.

It's generally best to have the same exit number in both directions.  In this case, that would be using I-76's Exit 1A.

But, this new exit is fully on Route 42, which means using Route 42's exit numbering system, which they decided would be Exit 14A.

Except, existing Exit 1A from I-76 EB is actually located on Route 42.  I-76 ends (and begins) at the Browning Road overpass.  So this exit should be Exit 14B, as it comes before existing Exit 14 for Creek Road.

Back to the new ramp:  It takes off from NJ 42 at about MP 13.4 and crosses over Rt. 42 at about MP 13.7, which makes the argument the exit should actually be signed as Exit 13, not Exit 14.

Unless you use the argument that it's where the main roadway crosses the highway, in which case 295 crosses Rt. 42 at MP 14.1, which means the new exit should be Exit 14B, not Exit 14A, because this crossing of I-295 is further north than where Creek Road crosses Route 42, so the Creek Road should be Exit 14A, not Exit 14B, except we already established the opposing exit is Exit 1A because it's using I-76's MP numbering...

So, as you see, there's actually a whole lot of issues numbering this exit, and really, the entire interchange.

There is also the issue that 76's mileposts are backwards from standard (east to west instead of west to east), with the exit numbers following suit.

Alps

I am fine with 14A being 14A and 1A being 1A. It makes sense given which direction you're coming from. Coming from 42, number it like 42. Coming from 76, number it like 76.

ekt8750

Quote from: famartin on July 26, 2022, 06:10:44 PM
There is also the issue that 76's mileposts are backwards from standard (east to west instead of west to east), with the exit numbers following suit.

Pretty sure the logic behind that was to match the milepost sequence of the other two routes that use the North-South Freeway alignment. I'm sure it would be pretty jarring for a driver coming north up 42 to see mileposts begin descending once the road becomes 76 after they had been ascending for the past 7 miles prior and then start ascending again if they continue up 676.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 27, 2022, 12:46:37 AM
Quote from: famartin on July 26, 2022, 06:10:44 PM

Pretty sure the logic behind that was to match the milepost sequence of the other two routes that use the North-South Freeway alignment. I'm sure it would be pretty jarring for a driver coming north up 42 to see mileposts begin descending once the road becomes 76 after they had been ascending for the past 7 miles prior and then start ascending again if they continue up 676.

I-76 was numbered first, when it first opened. Route 42 was unnumbered when it originally opened and remained so until the 90s or early 00's.

For I-76, the main question would be why MP 0.0's placement wasn't on the Walt Whitman Bridge when it was first designated at 76.

bzakharin

Quote from: Alps on July 26, 2022, 06:53:06 PM
I am fine with 14A being 14A and 1A being 1A. It makes sense given which direction you're coming from. Coming from 42, number it like 42. Coming from 76, number it like 76.
By that logic it should be 14A for creek Road, and 14B and 14C for 295. Even if by some technicality exit 1B is classified as being on 76 (which I don't believe it is since the entirety of the ramp is south of I-295) I can't think of any instance when consecutive exits for two directions of the same roadway have different numbers, let alone come from two different numbering systems.

bluecountry

I always wondered, how come they didn't just extend I-76 over 42 to AC?  Why have it terminate where it does?
Also, how come there never was a direct exit to the NJTP, and that is not in the plans?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on August 02, 2022, 10:52:45 AM
I always wondered, how come they didn't just extend I-76 over 42 to AC?  Why have it terminate where it does?
Also, how come there never was a direct exit to the NJTP, and that is not in the plans?

Q1: Simply, NJ never requested it. Unlike some states that want every limited access highway to be given an Interstate designation, NJ has never felt that same way.  It doesn't appear people have stayed away from the area due to the lack of such a designation.

Q2: It has been hinted by the NJTA that they will be looking at creating another interchange in this corridor area, and where 42 and the Turnpike intersect is an obvious placement of one. Nothing is definite though in regards to this.

NJRoadfan

Looks like signage has been installed for the "missing moves" exit on I-295 north. All covered up for now. As for the ACE being an interstate, it can't happen without fixing some low bridge clearances.

The Ghostbuster

There was a discussion asking why NJ 42 and NJ 446 (the Atlantic City Expressway's unsigned designation) wasn't part of Interstate 76 about 20 years ago. The link to this discussion is here: https://groups.google.com/g/misc.transport.road/c/SmfUkFhGIBg.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 02, 2022, 04:30:16 PM
Looks like signage has been installed for the "missing moves" exit on I-295 north. All covered up for now. As for the ACE being an interstate, it can't happen without fixing some low bridge clearances.

I saw that signage on the side of the roadway a couple of weeks ago, uncovered. It was pretty straightforward, IIRC

SOUTH I-295
Del Mem Br
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on August 04, 2022, 08:33:13 PM

I saw that signage on the side of the roadway a couple of weeks ago, uncovered. It was pretty straightforward, IIRC

SOUTH I-295
Del Mem Br

Actually, this sign is on Rt. 42 North, and I believe it had Delaware Memorial Bridge spelled out in full.

As for the sign on 295 North, I never saw the sign visible on the side of the road. The next day, it was up and fully covered.  I guess we won't know what it actually says until the ramp is opened (or the covering falls off!).

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2022, 09:52:35 PM

SOUTH I-295
Del Mem Br

Actually, this sign is on Rt. 42 North, and I believe it had Delaware Memorial Bridge spelled out in full.

As for the sign on 295 North, I never saw the sign visible on the side of the road. The next day, it was up and fully covered.  I guess we won't know what it actually says until the ramp is opened (or the covering falls off!).

Wow yeah thanks for correcting me I read that post way too fast. I was indeed on 42 North. I haven't been on that stretch of 295 North in a while, as I'm headed to Cape May Co. so I get off at 130 North or Woodbridge and take back roads to 42 South. It appears that many others do the same, so the opening of this ramp will greatly improve local traffic in the area.
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

storm2k

I imagine the NB control city for 295 will continue to be Trenton? Generally Camden, Trenton, and Princeton were the preferred ones going NB and I haven't seen changes elsewhere. Trenton still makes the most sense at that point.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 04, 2022, 09:52:35 PM

SOUTH I-295
Del Mem Br

It's actually at the bottom of the ramp coming from Rt 55. Drivers on Rt 42 likely won't be able to see it driving by. They're constructing some more gantries both north and south of that ramp which I'm sure will provide guidance for Exit 14. I assume the advanced signs will have shields for I-295 and CR 753 with controls for the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Creek Rd.

jeffandnicole

Finally, some progress, albeit minor, on the eventual reconstruction of the collapsed wall.

https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/news/details/comm_np_20220810_171240_I-295northboundlaneclosureMondaynightinBellmawr.pdf

QuoteThe (overnight lane) closure is necessary to reposition construction barrier to close the right shoulder so it can be widened as reconstruction begins on the retaining wall. Work will initially consist of lighting and drainage improvements, as well as pavement construction. Reconstruction of the wall is expected to begin this fall.

roadman65

I see the project addressed the RIRO situation at Creek Road.
https://goo.gl/maps/DS9xZsX992jPu9X88

https://goo.gl/maps/xkoPf6MkB5sWxYgM7
Is there a reason, why in September 22, they still haven't addressed the collapsed roadway?  It still looks the same as it did when it happened.  And the previous post announced it's just being tended to.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2022, 10:31:47 PM
I see the project addressed the RIRO situation at Creek Road.
https://goo.gl/maps/DS9xZsX992jPu9X88

On the Northbound side only. And the entering ramp is still basically an undersized ramp, just slightly elongated from before.

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2022, 10:31:47 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/xkoPf6MkB5sWxYgM7
Is there a reason, why in September 22, they still haven't addressed the collapsed roadway?  It still looks the same as it did when it happened.  And the previous post announced it's just being tended to.

Basically, a lot of design to make sure it doesn't happen again, along with trying to deal with the problem with a project half completed.  To say they didn't rush this is an understatement; at the same time, they really didn't need to rush it because it really wasn't contributing to the delay of getting the project finished.  It's a highly visible scar on what has been a continuously delayed project, but the Browning Road overpass has had more of an effect on the current delay.

However, they are now finally starting to work on it.  There is some construction equipment there, and they are doing...well, I'm not sure what they're doing yet, but they are finally doing something to remedy this issue.

Rothman

Did this project end up being design-build?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on November 06, 2022, 08:02:36 AM
Did this project end up being design-build?

I don't believe so. It was mapped out what would be done in each of the 4 contracts beforehand.

CtrlAltDel

Is there a timeline for completion here?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 06, 2022, 12:35:06 PM

Currently, no. On the website, it lists Contract 4 as beginning after Contract 3, but doesn't provide dates.

Alex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 06, 2022, 01:13:37 PM

Currently, no. On the website, it lists Contract 4 as beginning after Contract 3, but doesn't provide dates.

Years ago Contract 4 was anticipated to run from Spring 2020 to Winter 2023. The last time I updated the interstate-guide page for I-295 on the project, their website referenced that Contract 4 was expected to go to bid in 2024.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex on November 06, 2022, 11:11:30 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 06, 2022, 01:13:37 PM

Years ago Contract 4 was anticipated to run from Spring 2020 to Winter 2023. The last time I updated the interstate-guide page for I-295 on the project, their website referenced that Contract 4 was expected to go to bid in 2024.

Oh, that was years ago! The last time it displayed dates, it was showing 2028 or 2029.

jeffandnicole

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.