News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Lombard and other crazy streets around the world

Started by ZLoth, May 25, 2014, 04:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Lombard and other crazy streets around the world
QuoteSan Francisco's famous Lombard Street will close to cars during four busy weekends this summer, the city's Municipal Transportation Agency Board of Directors decided Tuesday.

The famously steep, twisty street attracts throngs of tourists, creating safety and access problems, and annoying the area's affluent residents.

If this decision ruins your summer plans to visit the crazy roadway, we're here to help. Click through the gallery above for a handy guide to other odd city streets around the world.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

english si

if it's closed to cars, how will residents park their car by their house?

When I went to it, while there was some tourist motor vehicle traffic, it made up less than half the motor vehicle traffic, with residents forming the majority. It was quite fun to see cars attempt a reverse through the pedestrians on the sidewalk.

elsmere241

Bill Cosby once said, "They built a street up there called Lombard Street that goes straight down, and they're not satisfied with you killing yourself that way–they put grooves and curves and everything in it, and they put flowers there where they've buried the people that have killed themselves."

BrianP

Alps

Shippen St., Weehawken is NJ's local contribution to the Lombard hysteria. Not quite as long, but the curves are packed even tighter.

Revive 755

There's Snake Alley in Burlington, Iowa as an Iowa version of Lombard Street.
Google Aerial
Google Streetview at the bottom

thenetwork

Bassett Road in Westlake, OH is one of a handful of roads that will take a driver east, west, north AND south via 90 degree turns.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zkCtXrcLsabc.kKOJ0o0_F_e8

This was one of the original county roads in the area, and at that time, the road took some weird turns due to property owners and their produce farms.  Nowadays, most of the orchards and vineyards are gone in favor of subdivisions and other assorted urban sprawl.

Another "fun" little street is Cadillac Hill (aka Bates Hill) just off of the SR-59 Innerbelt in downtown Akron, OH.

http://www.akronhistory.org/blog/uncategorized/bates-hillcadillac-hill/

The way the road is designed, you are hard pressed to go anything more than 5-10 MPH up OR down.  I have driven it a handful of times and it is not the 28% grade that will kill you, it's the embedded washboard stones that will drive you crazy.

bulldog1979

roadman

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 27, 2014, 02:11:11 PM
Bill Cosby once said, "They built a street up there called Lombard Street that goes straight down, and they're not satisfied with you killing yourself that way–they put grooves and curves and everything in it, and they put flowers there where they've buried the people that have killed themselves."

Ah yes, from his Driving in San Francisco routine.  A must listen for any roadgeek.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

2Co5_14

citrus

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.