News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Favorite/least favorite segments of 2dis?

Started by Zeffy, March 21, 2015, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slorydn1

Favorites:

I-40 from roughly Statesville NC to about an hour west of Nashville TN
I-24 from Nashville to Chattanooga
I-64 from about an hour west of Richmond VA to I-65 in KY (I did the WVA Tpke for the first time at the end of January-absolutely amazing).
The NC/TN sections of I-26, and the TN/VA sections of I-81

I don't have any I hate, although the entire Balto-Wash area used to drive me nuts (I haven't been through there since 2004 so I really can't speak to any of the improvements made since then, including the new Woodrow Wilson bridge-it might be much better now).

I kinda agree with those that hate the NC portion of I-95, but not because of the (lack of) scenery. It's because the road is so outdated that NCDOT feels it necessary to have it signed at 65 mph pretty much all the way through except for the Fayetteville segment. Luckily being centrally located in NC means I only have to do half of it either way. I feel for my brothers on either end that have to go all the way through.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Takumi

Favorites:
I-64 west of Richmond sprawl
I-85 between Charlotte and roughly the NC-VA border
I-77 between Hillsville and Statesville (the only part of it I've been on)
I-75 between Gainesville and Sarasota (ditto)
I-40 between Winston-Salem and eastern TN
Every segment of I-81 I've ever been on

Least favorites:
I-95 north of Richmond, although between Richmond and Fredericksburg isn't terrible
I-64 in South Hampton Roads
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 23, 2015, 01:19:44 PM
Favorites:

I-64 from about an hour west of Richmond VA to I-65 in KY (I did the WVA Tpke for the first time at the end of January-absolutely amazing).

I don't have any I hate, although the entire Balto-Wash area used to drive me nuts (I haven't been through there since 2004 so I really can't speak to any of the improvements made since then, including the new Woodrow Wilson bridge-it might be much better now).

I kinda agree with those that hate the NC portion of I-95, but not because of the (lack of) scenery. It's because the road is so outdated that NCDOT feels it necessary to have it signed at 65 mph pretty much all the way through except for the Fayetteville segment. Luckily being centrally located in NC means I only have to do half of it either way. I feel for my brothers on either end that have to go all the way through.

It's signed at 70 from Exit 10 to the South Carolina state line.

sbeaver44

Favorites:

• I-76/Turnpike between Breezewood and Lebanon-Lancaster
  • I-68, especially Cumberland
  • I-81 north of I-78
  • I-78 from Easton to before Newark
  • I-90/Indiana Toll Road and Chicago Skyway
  • I-88 in Illinois
  • I-90 as the Berkshire Spur/Western Masspike
  • I-15 in Arizona
  • I-83 in Baltimore

Least Favorites:
  • I-83 near Harrisburg
  • I-76 in Philadelphia
  • I-65 and 70 in Indiana and west of Columbus
  • I-70 from New Stanton to Washington
  • I-29 in Iowa/South Dakota

slorydn1

Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 23, 2015, 05:11:59 PM
Favorites:

Oh, ok, cool, I stand corrected. I wonder when they did that? Looking back on it, I guess it has been a few years since I have been south of Lumberton, all my trips have been north and west of here since 2010. It might be time for another FL trip.  :)
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

The Nature Boy

Quote from: slorydn1 on March 23, 2015, 06:22:00 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on March 23, 2015, 05:11:59 PM
Favorites:

Oh, ok, cool, I stand corrected. I wonder when they did that? Looking back on it, I guess it has been a few years since I have been south of Lumberton, all my trips have been north and west of here since 2010. It might be time for another FL trip.  :)

I want to say it was around 2012 but I'm not too entirely sure.

Ian

Favorites:

• The Adirondack Northway (I-87) through its journey through the Adirondack Mountains
  • I-95 north of Bangor and Houlton, ME. Not a lot on this stretch, but it has some scenic parts (such as the view of Katahdin from the road). It also has a nice 75 speed limit.
  • I-93 between Manchester, NH and Vermont

Least favorites:

• I-95 between Augusta and Bangor, ME. Basically the home stretch whenever I come back up to school. It's fairly boring and feels very repetitive.
  • All of I-87's portion of the New York Thruway, especially north of exit 15. I've done this stretch countless times to go see family up near Albany and it always feels like it takes forever.
  • I-95 through the Bronx. Although it has some cool older infrastructure, it's just that that makes it a traffic clogged nightmare 20 hours a day.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Zzonkmiles

Favorites:

I-26 from Spartanburg to Asheville. Beautiful views, and I love the steep grades.
I-85 from the NC/VA line to I-95. I like the forested medians and low traffic counts. The road needs to be resurfaced though.
I-75 from Tampa to I-10. Very enjoyable drive with enough lanes to keep things moving.
I-85/40 concurrence in NC. This is so much fun to drive because there are few speed traps and the traffic typically moves well above the speed limit.

Least favorites:

I-20 between Atlanta and Augusta. Holy crap, that's a boring stretch of road there.
I-4. All of it. The road can't handle the traffic, and I don't like driving on interstates while I'm surrounded by uncertain/distracted minivan and SUV drivers looking for theme parks and Disney World and such.

kgibson8485

Favorites:

I-75 from Knoxville, TN to Lexington, KY
I-77 from the split with I-64 to Charlotte, NC
I-70 from Columbus, OH to Wheeling, WV

Least Favorites:

I-4 from Daytona to Tampa. Worst. Road. Ever.
I-95 from just south of Richmond, VA to Brunswick, GA
I-95 from Daytona Beach, FL to Palm Bay, FL
I-75 through Atlanta. It's hell!!!
Road geek since 1985!!

jemacedo9

Favorite:
1. I-76 PA Turnpike New Stanton to Carlisle
2. I-87 Adirondack Northway north of Lake George
3. I-95 Phila Airport to I-676 (I'm partial to Philly)
Hon Mention. Future I-99 Williamsport to Corning
Hon Mention. Future I-86 Deposit to Middletown

Least Favorite:
I-95 all of CT  (BY FAR)

thenetwork

Favorite:  I-70 Between UT/CO Line and Denver.

Least Favorite:  I-70 Between UT/CO Line and I-15 -- Unless you like to be in the middle of nowhere by yourself.   Another reason why it's an unfavorite of mine?  It has a 75 MPH Speed Limit in many places with no traffic, while I-15 can go 80 MPH in many places with far more traffic and exits to contend with.

SD Mapman

Favorite: I-90 between Rapid City and Pine Haven, WY.

Unfavorite: I-90 from Rapid City to Sioux Falls; I-29 from just north of St. Joseph to Fargo.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Beeper1

Favorite:  I-95 in northern Maine.  Beautiful, almost wilderness scenery, and almost zero traffic.  Probably the most desolate interstate east of the Mississippi.

Least favorite:  I will join the chorus of people hating I-95 between NYC and New Haven.  Also I-84 Danbury-Waterbury.

ctsignguy

Favorites:

I-95 between New Haven and East Lyme (I know i am going against JakefromNE on this one) > For me my emotional second home as my family came from that area, and spent many wonderful summers as a kid there with all the wonderful wood signs

I-89 between I-91 and Montpelier > I have to agree with Nature Boy here....some of the best scenery in New England.

I-76 (PA Tpke) > Love the scenery (but the tolls are a killer!)  You can get much the same views from US-30, so i sometimes take that as my alternate route

US-6 from Ohio 11 to Danbury CT > You get a lot of everythingand US 6 in eastern PA is very pretty on a sunny early October morning

Least favorite:

Any Interstate through New York City......talk about classic lack of planning!  (esp trying to squeeze nine lanes of traffic into three lanes during rush (really?) hour.....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

vdeane

Part of NYC's problem is that a very large number of its planned freeways never got built.  For example, I-295 was supposed to be THE route to JFK.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NWI_Irish96

My least favorite is I-65 between Louisville and Indy, because I travel it so often and because the lack of a third travel lane in each direction slows the trip down so much.

My favorite is the Mackinac Bridge section of I-75.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ned Weasel

Favorites:

I-76/Pennsylvania Turnpike--especially the mountainous portions.
I-95/New Jersey Turnpike.  Even the ugly parts are beautiful.

Least Favorite:

I-35 in Missouri, from the Kansas state line to I-435.  There are multiple poor design decisions here.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: ctsignguy on March 25, 2015, 08:09:12 AM
Favorites:

I-95 between New Haven and East Lyme (I know i am going against JakefromNE on this one) > For me my emotional second home as my family came from that area, and spent many wonderful summers as a kid there with all the wonderful wood signs

Least favorite:

Any Interstate through New York City......talk about classic lack of planning!  (esp trying to squeeze nine lanes of traffic into three lanes during rush (really?) hour.....

I feel the opposite. Conn Tpke up there is underbuilt, slow, and boring. NY highways are complex, fascinating, and lined with incredibly varied scenery.

wriddle082

Favorites:
* All of I-24 (Grew up near it in TN, and others have sang it's praises.  Though it may be a little boring in KY, their stretch was mostly built in the late 70s/early 80s so the design standards are better than most KY interstates.  And it's the only interstate in IL with semi-interesting rural scenery and rock cuts.)
* Most interstates in WV (engineering feats all over the state)
* I-70 west of Denver, though I've only been on it as far west as Breckenridge

Least favorites:
* I-75 from somewhere north of Atlanta all the way to the 475 split north of Macon. (Lots of backups especially heading into Atlanta from the north, at all hours)
* I-85 from Atlanta to Charlotte (woefully outdated, even the widened portions in SC)
* I-26 through most of SC (outdated, outdated, outdated)
* Any remaining four-lane sections of I-75 between Greater Tampa Bay and Greater Ft. Myers/Naples. (imagine going 85 with the flow of traffic, then come to a screeching halt, then repeat this two or three more times)

I could go on and on, but these stick out in my mind the most.

Bickendan

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 26, 2015, 12:35:21 AM

I-35 in Missouri, from the Kansas state line to I-435.  There are multiple poor design decisions here.
Agreed on this. LA freeways can be hairraising to drive, but that's on account for the traffic. I-35 in KCMO's scary, on account of the road designs. I'll take LA freeways.

OCGuy81

Favorites:

I-5 from Redding north to Medford

I-84 from just east of Portland through the Columbia River Gorge

I-10 from El Paso to San Antonio.  I like how desolate it is, and how big it makes the West Texas desert feel.  There are many times you can literally be the only car around for miles, and it's interesting to see at-grade intersections on an Interstate.

I-90 from Missoula to Cour d'Alene. 

Least Favorites:

I-5 from just south of Tracy to the merge of CA-99 south of Bakersfield.

I-35 through Austin.  Just a clusterfuck, though to be fair, it's been years since I've been through there.

I-95 from south of Washington until Florida.

I-15 from San Diego until Las Vegas

I-39 in Illinois

wphiii

Funny to me seeing how many people enjoy the middle portion of the PA Turnpike. Maybe I've just done it too many times and continue to have to do it as frequently as I do, but between Somerset and Breezewood at least, it's plagued with left lane abuse/ignorance, trucks passing trucks on uphill two-lane sections, an annoying 55 mph stretch, slowdowns at the Allegheny Mountain tunnel, etc. The scenery is nice, sure, but it's just as pretty on my alternate route (I-68 to Cumberland to PA160 and hooking back up with the Turnpike at Somerset), which is exponentially more pleasant to drive and costs about half as much, toll-wise to boot (and only takes like 15 minutes longer).

CtrlAltDel

My favorites, in the order I traveled them in, are

I-40 in western Arizona. The part though the mountains east of Kingman is breathtaking, especially when you go through it in late afternoon. The shadows and sheer desolation (at times you can't even see the other set of lanes) are quite something.

I-15 in Arizona. The Virgin River Gorge is an amazing combination of natural beauty and engineering. If the campground there hadn't been closed because of the government shut down, I might have camped out a night or two.

I-70 in Utah and western Colorado. The entire Utah section is breathtaking, although not in the same way. The view over the San Rafael Swell, in particular, is something I'm glad I stopped for. I also liked Glenwood Canyon in Colorado for reasons similar to the Virgin River.

I-70 eastern Ohio. I traveled this eastbound, and I liked seeing the plains slowly give way to the mountains. Subtly at first, but then much less so.

I-66 outside Washington DC. I traveled this eastbound as well, and saw the mountains slowly give way to the plains of the coast.

I-95 in northern New Jersey. This one I liked purely because of the engineering. I liked the dual-dual layout and the infrastructure that makes it work.

I-90 in western New York. Wide open skies, and enough road to last till morning.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on March 22, 2015, 01:59:05 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on March 21, 2015, 09:51:38 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 21, 2015, 01:34:34 PM
I-5 favorite: Chuckanut Mountain section, Burlington to Bellingham WA.

Not going to disagree with you. But there are a couple of spots (particularly SB at around 188th and again at SR 516, NB at the east end of Fife before it curves back north) where on a clear day, the view of Mt. Rainier is literally jaw-dropping.

But since those are points and not segments, I'll go with yours. Though for the state as a whole, I'd put Snoqualmie Pass ever so slightly above it.

Snoqualmie Pass is very pretty, but the traffic is often quite heavy and acting squirrely -- too fast for snowy/foggy/heavy rain conditions, cutting in.  When conditions are good I agree with you though.

You're both mad. I-5 over the Columbia River is definitely the height of driving enjoyment.

sandiaman

FAVORITES  I-84 east of Portland  thru the Columbia River Gorge  ,waterfalls and big  river.
                  I-65  between Mobile and Montgomery  thick stands  of pines, you could get lost in just a few feet from your  car
                  I-40  between  Flagstaff    and  Seligman
                  I-10  between Junction City and San Antonio,  easy going  thru the Hill Country
                  I- 80  between Auburn  and Reno.   Donner Pass, gotta love it.

LEAST FAVORITE :   
                  I-10 between Blythe and Indio, too  much traffic on an outdated freeway
                  I-10 between LA  and San Bernardino,  too congested and dirty

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.