News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite/least favorite segments of 2dis?

Started by Zeffy, March 21, 2015, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiefrick

Reviving this thread now:

FAVORITE: I-64/US-40 through the suburbs of St. Louis. It's a good deal wide and has a decent speed limit.
LEAST FAVORITE: I-680 through the Sierra Nevada foothills about 30 minutes outside San Francisco. Trafficky, trafficky, and even more trafficky.

CobaltYoshi27

Favorites:
I-68 (the entire thing)
I-86 (PA-NY, the entire thing)
I-88 (NY, the entire thing)
I-80 (PA)
I-79 (Between I-68 and I-70)

Least favorites:
I-76 (Penn Turnpike by far)
I-95 from New Jersey to I-91 in New Haven
I-70 (When joined with I-76 in PA)
I-78 (because I know I am heading for the impending doom that is the Pennsylvania Turnpike)
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

Jmiles32

In Virginia

Least Favorite
I-85 between NC and Petersburg
I always feel locked in by that long tree median and its sooo boring, at least on I-64 it has some breaks in it.

Favorite
I-66 west of Haymarket
Beautiful views and rural countryside make this stretch really enjoyable, also there isn't as much truck traffic as there is on I-81
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

noelbotevera

RI-MA 24 from its start to just outside Fall River MA. Totally boring, it's wooded sections and heavy traffic with I-195.

US 22/322 from Harrisburg to State College - breathtaking scenery on a freeway
US 30 from Breezewood to McConellsburg - almost like I-64/I-79, just a two to three lane highway
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kkt

Quote from: wolfiefrick on March 03, 2016, 05:26:46 PM
LEAST FAVORITE: I-680 through the Sierra Nevada foothills about 30 minutes outside San Francisco. Trafficky, trafficky, and even more trafficky.

I-680 is nowhere near the Sierra Nevada.  Those hills are parts of the Coast Ranges.  The traffic is often heavy, but pretty much all of the road is in good condition with standard width lanes and shoulders, that's by no means guaranteed on Bay Area freeways.  The stretch in between Walnut Creek and Fremont is very pretty, as is Benicia-Cordelia.  Much of it could be in my list of favorite freeways, as long as you avoid commute hours.

Max Rockatansky

I'm going to get in on this.....

Favorites:

I-15 though the Virgin River Gorge in Arizona.  Basically I-15 runs through the center of a Canyon, rare that an interstate follows the terrain so closely.
I-70 through the San Rafael Swell in Utah to Cisco.  This is basically a completely barren and alien landscape you'll only see in Utah.  This stretch can actually be intimidating given it's over a 100 miles between services.  Thompson Springs and Cisco are a must see if you are Vanishing Point fan.
I-70 from Durango, CO to Denver.  Who wouldn't love a trip through the Rockies?
I-75 through Alligator Alley in the Everglades.  Basically you exit the Miami Metro area and it becomes endless swamp land populated by thousands of alligators, hence the name.
I-8 heading out of Imperial Valley to the mountains in San Diego County.  This is a surprisingly fast climb for an Interstate with some mountain grade curves.
I-90 in Idaho through all the historic mining towns.  Basically this follows the terrain as it passes through the old mine towns, it's neat to see how the road was constructed over the town of Wallace.
I-17 from north Phoenix, AZ the entire northward climb to Flagstaff.  You gain about 5,000 feet in elevation in this segment heading out of the desert to pine forests on Colorado Plateau.
I-80 from Donner Pass, CA to Salt Lake City.  Basically you get a full grasp of the Sierra Nevadas, the vast emptiness of the Great Basin Desert in Nevada and the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. 

Least Favorites
I-86W  This is entirely in Idaho and should be either a three digit Interstate or just signed US 30.  There isn't really anything challenging or scenic about this route.
I-4  Basically this is one of the most hellish drives on the east coast in general.  Worse yet it's populated by tourists who have no idea where they are going for almost the entirety of the route.
I-95  From Richmond to the Georgia state line there isn't much to see and worse you are stuck with the volume of traffic heading to/from some of the biggest cities in the country.
I-10  From Houston through New Orleans is mostly four lane but carries the bulk of cross country truck traffic to slug through.
I-12  Basically this should be a three digit of I-10 in Louisiana.  Basically it has the same problem I-10 does and doesn't really have much of value to see...at least I-10 has New Orleans.
I-20  West of Dallas to I-10 near Van Horn is populated by bored Texas Highway Patrol troopers waiting to question you on why you didn't take I-10.
I-5 from downtown L.A. to the Mexican Border.  Basically you have to slug through some of the worst traffic in two of the biggest cities in California.  Don't ever consider taking I-405 no matter how bad traffic gets on I-5.

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 03, 2016, 07:13:18 PM
RI-MA 24 from its start to just outside Fall River MA. Totally boring, it's wooded sections and heavy traffic with I-195.

US 22/322 from Harrisburg to State College - breathtaking scenery on a freeway
US 30 from Breezewood to McConellsburg - almost like I-64/I-79, just a two to three lane highway
By 2dis (emphasis: mine); I believe the OP's referring to Interstates, not US nor state (SR) highways.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TheHighwayMan3561

Favorites:
I-35: Duluth, MN and Flint Hills of Kansas
I-70: Basically everything west of Denver

Least favorites:
I-10 east of Houston
I-90 between MN 43 and Chamberlain, SD
I-80/90 from Lake Station, IN to Elyria, OH
I-94 east of Bismarck
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

Me?

Favorite:

'Inbound' Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) in Chicago.

Least favorite:

I-80, where it crosses between the Borman Expressway and the Indiana Toll Road in Gary/Lake Station, IN.

Mike

paulthemapguy

The BEST interstate drive is I-70 between Grand Junction and Denver.  Hands down.  That is my final answer, Regis.
I also enjoyed I-40 through New Mexico.  A peaceful red rock drive, and in the valley miles away you can watch trains roll along in the distance.
I-65 from Gary to Indianapolis blows goats.  Overloaded with truck traffic and the road is so broken in a lot of spots.
I-80 from Lincoln Neb. west to Grand Island has NO CURVES WHATSOEVER.  It's lethal because of its propensity to put you right to sleep!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

noelbotevera

MOST FAVORITE:
I-99 from southern terminus to exit 28
I-376 from exit 18 to exit 6 (*I still refuse to acknowledge the extension to I-80 in 2009*)
I-76 from Mile 111 to Mile 130
I-76 (Surekill Exp.) from exit 331 (I-476) to Walt Whitman Bridge
I-676 Vine St. Exp. length

LEAST FAVORITE:
I-76 east of Harrisburg (roughly mile 250 to exit 326)
I-81 from exit 17 to exit 61
I-78 entire length
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

mariethefoxy

Favorites:
I-95 in Southern CT between Stamford and Bridgeport (When it moves)
I-91 between CT 15/I-691 interchange and Hartford
I-87 Tappan Zee Bridge
I-76 between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh

Least Favorite:
I-95 in NY from New Jersey to Connecticut, the entire thing is boring and tedious especially the cross bronx
I-95 from East Haven to RI, its boring and it feels like it takes forever to get to RI
I-95 in Philadelphia, the construction and lane shifts make it confusing and dangerous.
I-78 in Pennsylvania, boring and tedious even in the Allentown area part.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mariethefoxy on March 05, 2016, 07:18:13 PM
Favorites:
I-95 in Southern CT between Stamford and Bridgeport (When it moves)
I-91 between CT 15/I-691 interchange and Hartford
I-87 Tappan Zee Bridge
I-76 between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh

Least Favorite:
I-95 in NY from New Jersey to Connecticut, the entire thing is boring and tedious especially the cross bronx
I-95 from East Haven to RI, its boring and it feels like it takes forever to get to RI
I-95 in Philadelphia, the construction and lane shifts make it confusing and dangerous.
I-78 in Pennsylvania, boring and tedious even in the Allentown area part.

Wow, I find the whole way of 95 from Connecticut to New Jersey to be an adventure. Granted, it's not as much of an adventure as it was in the days when it featured stripped cars and the occasional tree on fire in the median strip, but it's an interesting ride that changes often as you go.

JustDrive

Favorite: 580 through Altamont Pass. After 200+ of nothing on the 5, it's nice to see civilization again
80 between Auburn, CA and Reno. Very dramatic climb up the Sierras
15 through the Virgin River Gorge. Enough said
70 between Grand Junction and Denver. Engineering marvel
280 between Cupertino and San Bruno. Better than the parking lot known as the Bayshore
8 between Alpine and Ocotillo. Forest to desert in 50 miles.

Least favorite:

5 between Grapevine and Lathrop.
405 in California in its entirety.
The westernmost 100 miles of the 10
10 between El Paso and San Antonio

DandyDan

Favorites
1. I-10 east of Benson AZ through Texas Canyon.  I like how they just built an interstate down a canyon
2. I-94/I-90 from Eau Claire to Wisconsin Dells
3. I-90 in Minnesota as it goes west out of the Mississippi River valley

One day, I will visit my relatives in Grand Junction, CO, but until then, I can't properly call I-70 west of Denver a favorite.

Least Favorites
1. I-39 between I-80 and I-90.  When I was a kid in Minnesota, we would go to my grandpa's in Seneca, IL and cut across all kinds of country and their varying roads between Belvidere and Seneca.  Then I-39 opened and then I realized Illinois was flat and nonscenic.  A special place in hell is reserved for I-39 within my imagination
2. I-80 between Lincoln and Grand Island.  When I discovered Nebraska was the same way.
3. I-70 in Missouri.  Not enough lanes and too many billboards the whole way.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Great Lakes Roads

Favorites:
1. I-70 through Glenwood Canyon (Colorado)
2. I-90 between Chicago and Elgin.  Three lanes wide, 65 mph speed limit (soon to be 70), open road tolling, what else can you ask for?
3. I-90 on Chicago Skyway
4. I-90/94 (Dan Ryan) in Chicago

Least Favorites:
1. I-65 between Indy and Chicago
2. I-94 through Michigan and Northern Indiana
3. the Indiana Toll Road between Lake Station and Ohio
4. the Ohio Turnpike between Indiana and Cleveland

CNGL-Leudimin

'Favorite/least favorite segments of 2dis?' I don't have any for obvious reasons, so I cannot answer. I have favorite and least favorite segments of interstate-like freeways, though.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

RobbieL2415

Favorites:

I-90: Utica, NY, to Rochester, NY
I-91: Northampton, MA, to Brattleboro, VT
I-84: From the beginning to Port Jervis, NY
I-81: From I-66 to Roanoke, VA

Least Favorites:
I-84:  All of it in CT
I-95: All of it from DC to Boston
I-91:  Hartford to New Haven

Revive 755

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 06, 2016, 12:56:12 AM

2. I-90 between Chicago and Elgin.  Three lanes wide, 65 mph speed limit (soon to be 70), open road tolling, what else can you ask for?

Between Chicago and Elgin is probably going to be posted at 55 after the rebuild is complete, and is supposed to have four through lanes.  Perhaps you meant Elgin to I-39?  In that case I would ask for:

1) A nice tied arch or cable stayed bridge over the Fox River
2) Hillier terrain with nicer views
3) A large lake or other water feature to add some excitement

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 06, 2016, 10:27:42 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 06, 2016, 12:56:12 AM

Between Chicago and Elgin is probably going to be posted at 55 after the rebuild is complete, and is supposed to have four through lanes.  Perhaps you meant Elgin to I-39?  In that case I would ask for:

1) A nice tied arch or cable stayed bridge over the Fox River
2) Hillier terrain with nicer views
3) A large lake or other water feature to add some excitement

I-355 was recently upped to 60 mph by the ISTHA, so there is a chance that the section from O'Hare to Elgin might get 60mph too.  But it certainly wasnt ever gonna be 65 or 70 there lol
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

mgk920

Another favorite of mine is I-90 between I-94 (Tomah Interchange in Wisconsin) and about Rochester, MN.

Mike

roadman

I-93 between Salem and Manchester NH used to be one of my favorite segments.  Since they've been working on the widening, it's increasingly losing its character and has become one of my least favorite segments.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Chris19001

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
Favorites:
Huh?  Durango is a long way from I-70 or any other interstate for that matter.  The scenery north and east of town is remarkable, but doesn't qualify for this list..

wphiii

Quote from: Chris19001 on March 07, 2016, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 03, 2016, 09:38:56 PM
Favorites:
Huh?  Durango is a long way from I-70 or any other interstate for that matter.  The scenery north and east of town is remarkable, but doesn't qualify for this list..

Perhaps he meant Grand Junction?

DandyDan

Quote from: roadman65 on September 25, 2015, 01:52:25 PM

Once you get to Abilene, KS you then see the Flint Hills, and then the cluster of cities as east of US 81 the population of Kansas is way more dense than that of it west of US 81.  Therefore I-70 has something to see as the Flint Hills is neat to look at, and then incorporated areas frequently to let up on the boredom some until you reach Topeka.

I must say when I drove I-70 West of Topeka to K-99 recently (I was going to the Oz Museum in Wamego), the scenery caught me off guard.  I drove I-70 eastbound from the Manhattan exit years ago and thought it was typical Kansas scenery.  I even like how they have the rest area in the median.  It's certainly a different trip than US 24 West of Topeka.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.