You know you're a roadgeek when...

Started by yakra, February 27, 2011, 12:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

You're reading your bank statement, see one debit for 20 bucks, and the next for 7.87...
...and instantly think of this interchange.

Friendly neighborhood mods: feel free to merge or move as needed.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

ctsignguy

....when you are in school, and draw various shields around the numbers on your math homework...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

cu2010

...when you notice right away when a road sign font is being used in a print advertisement.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Duke87

...when you meet people from parts of the country you've never been anywhere near and can tell them off the top of your head what highway goes through their city.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

Quote from: Duke87 on February 27, 2011, 03:21:14 PM
...when you meet people from parts of the country you've never been anywhere near and can tell them off the top of your head what highway goes through their city.

Been there, done that, got into an argument over it (but eventually won) ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: yakra on February 27, 2011, 12:47:43 PM
You're reading your bank statement, see one debit for 20 bucks, and the next for 7.87...
...and instantly think of this interchange.

Friendly neighborhood mods: feel free to merge or move as needed.
Some from personal experience:
-when people often ask you "where is...." or "what's the best way to get to..." or "how far is it from... to....." and they know you will know the answer or if you don't know it right away a quick look at the map will get the answer.

-when you use road junctions to help memorize numbers such as phone numbers or entrance codes(for instance I knew somebody with a phone number that ended in 6136 and I just remembered Hannibal, Mo.)

-when you get asked what trucking company you drive for when people see your spiral-bound atlas and briefcase full of state highway maps.

-when your college choir director invites you to go on tour with the group after you graduated and pays for your airfare to meet up with the group just so you can navigate for the bus driver on a trip around California and the Southwest.

-when you eagerly anticipate every guide sign when taking a trip on a road you have never been on before.

NE2

...when you've seen too many threads like this...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ctsignguy

...when you get a 'fat flat package' in the mail at work, and your boss inquires which state it is from...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Ian

...when you have a nickname related to something map/road related (a few of my friends call me Garmin)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

nexus73

You know you're a roadgeek when you drive every freeway in SoCal the first weekend you are down there, then you come back and draw out a skeleton map from memory, figuring after that if you get lost on a surface street while urban exploring, that you'll just drive until you hit a freeway or if you hit the ocean or mountains, you do a 180 until you do hit a freeway!

That's what I did when I was first stationed at March AFB in June 1974.  My first time ever in SoCal and doing this sure worked out well.  It was so much fun zipping along those great (to me at the time) freeways in my 1967 Imperial at 80 MPH.  Hit the brights at night and those Botts Dots would light up like I was on an airport runway and as for the button copy signs, OMG!  Crank up the tunes on KLOS and KRTH and it was like being in heaven for an 18 year old! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

corco

Quote-when you use road junctions to help memorize numbers such as phone numbers or entrance codes(for instance I knew somebody with a phone number that ended in 6136 and I just remembered Hannibal, Mo.)

Whoa. That's actually a really good idea

thenetwork

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on February 27, 2011, 03:51:14 PM
-when people often ask you "where is...." or "what's the best way to get to..." or "how far is it from... to....." and they know you will know the answer or if you don't know it right away a quick look at the map will get the answer.

Check!

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on February 27, 2011, 03:51:14 PM-when you use road junctions to help memorize numbers such as phone numbers or entrance codes(for instance I knew somebody with a phone number that ended in 6136 and I just remembered Hannibal, Mo.)

Check.

-when you eagerly anticipate every guide sign when taking a trip on a road you have never been on before.

Check.

...when you have trouble sleeping, you either count route numbers, picking a state and a city on that route, or you pick an interstate and mentally name the exits in order.

...you can stare at a road map for more than just a couple of minutes.

...you take as many old pre-interstate routings as possible on any trip out of town.

CL

...when you sacrifice something you've been waiting weeks to buy just to do some extra roadgeeking.
Infrastructure. The city.

corco

you're not the greatest asset on a long non-stop road trip through new territory with other people because you don't sleep when you're not driving because you really want to see the road

Quote...when you sacrifice something you've been waiting weeks to buy just to do some extra roadgeeking.
People have told you that you're as addicted to roadgeeking as a crack addict is addicted to crack

yakra

Check!

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on February 27, 2011, 03:51:14 PM-when you use road junctions to help memorize numbers such as phone numbers or entrance codes(for instance I knew somebody with a phone number that ended in 6136 and I just remembered Hannibal, Mo.)
Check.

Check.

Quote from: thenetwork on February 27, 2011, 09:33:03 PM...when you have trouble sleeping, you either count route numbers, picking a state and a city on that route, or you pick an interstate and mentally name the exits in order.
...you feel genuine shame at only being able to reliably name up to exit 133 on a 305-mile interstate.
(I count routes and name termini...)

Quote from: thenetwork on February 27, 2011, 09:33:03 PM...you can stare at a road map for more than just a couple of minutes.
Check.

Quote from: thenetwork on February 27, 2011, 09:33:03 PM...you take as many old pre-interstate routings as possible on any trip out of town.
...the only reason you're taking the interstate out of town is speed, because you've already clinched all the old pre-interstate routings.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

ctsignguy

...you write up reports, meeting minutes, et al, and file them in as official documents ....and they are in Roadgeek D font

US71

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 27, 2011, 11:33:40 PM
...you write up reports, meeting minutes, et al, and file them in as official documents ....and they are in Roadgeek D font

I address most of my envelopes in D or E ;)

meestersam

When your friends ask if they can fold you up and keep you in their glove box.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 27, 2011, 06:15:26 PM
...when you have a nickname related to something map/road related (a few of my friends call me Garmin)
I was called Rand McNally in college.

mightyace

When your mom start singing "Do You Know The Way to San Jose?" and you tell her!  (from PA!)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

berberry

Quote from: corco on February 27, 2011, 07:32:38 PM
Quote-when you use road junctions to help memorize numbers such as phone numbers or entrance codes(for instance I knew somebody with a phone number that ended in 6136 and I just remembered Hannibal, Mo.)

Whoa. That's actually a really good idea

Yep!  Comes from the Dale Carnegie Course, and if you commit some thought to it you might be able to unravel the logic behind it, which is sound.  It is the basis by which Carnegie graduates are able to easily and quickly commit to memory fairly long lists of mundane items.

As to the thread:

...when, without consulting a map, you can identify the type of most interchanges in your state, along with any unusual quirks about them.

US71

Quote from: meestersam on February 28, 2011, 12:09:14 AM
When your friends ask if they can fold you up and keep you in their glove box.

I worked for 2 different Taxi companies because I knew the area better than anyone else. I occasionally had to help other drivers find where they were going.

Before that, I was always the one called upon at the c-store when someone needed directions.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 27, 2011, 01:39:58 PM
....when you are in school, and draw various shields around the numbers on your math homework...
Quote from: ctsignguy on February 27, 2011, 01:39:58 PM

I used to do that all the time.  My teacher used to take note a lot to it.

Interstate Trav

When at age 8 your neighbors would stop by your house to ask you for directions.

When you would build a city out of Legos but spend more time putting toether a freeway system connectint them.

When you to this day (I'm now 23) still draw maps.

When you hear certain numbers and instantly think of your favorite freeway or route.

When you hear a song and it reminds you of a stretch of road.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 27, 2011, 06:15:26 PM
Mine is 'Trav-Star' or 'Interstate Trav'

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.