News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Walking on Active Interstates

Started by Zmapper, July 08, 2011, 04:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever walked on an interstate?

No, Never
16 (28.6%)
Yes, hard shoulder only
20 (35.7%)
Yes, mainline
20 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: March 07, 2012, 11:13:40 PM

Darkchylde

I walked about a quarter mile from the exit ramp back onto I-12 along the shoulder to get a close-up pic of the new mile markers they've been putting in place here.

Did I mention it was in driving rain?

1995hoo

Quote from: Laura Bianca on February 13, 2012, 10:45:11 PM
Hahaha, the interstates are my playground.

About a year or so ago, I was at a friend-of-a-now-ex-bf's apartment near the I-495/I-66 interchange in northern VA. I noticed that the door in the soundwall was cracked open, and needless to say convinced the ex to follow me onto 495. We played on the guardrails and steel, took pictures of the construction, and made out to the applause of car horns.

Also, on another day in broad daylight, I "preserved" a shield from I-95 that was in a gigantic pile of construction debris.

It wasn't on an Interstate, but I recall a similar experience of lots of beeping horns acknowledging an activity on the shoulder on a Boy Scout trip to Prince Edward Island for the 1989 Canadian Jamboree. We were on our way across Route 9 in eastern Maine, which is in the middle of nowhere, and we all had to take a leak, so we stopped on the shoulder. Picture a line of six Boy Scouts and two adult leaders, all in full uniform, lined up pissing on the side of the road (backs to the road, of course). The truck drivers in particular seemed to take great amusement from this and were beeping their horns like mad as they sped by.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

yakra

In 2005, a fatal accident stopped all traffic at the Presumpscot River. I wasn't very far back, right about here. People shut off their cars, milled about and chatted, speculated on what was going on up ahead. I may have scampered up the hillock to the right...
Eventually, troopers directed us back south to the median crossover, to return to Portland.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

kendancy66

rmsandw

I-35 at the OK/KS Line...walked from median to side to get a few pics for about 10 minutes before seeing another car.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

golden eagle

January 2000: my car stopped on me in the middle of the night of I-55 south of Winona, MS.  I waited until sunrise to walk back to the previous exit (about a mile) to call someone to come and get me. I didn't have a cell phone at the time.

kkt

Approx. 1996, I-95 in Philadelphia was at a complete stop due to an accident for an hour.  We got out to stretch our legs and in vain hope that we'd be able to see what was the cause of the blockage.

Stopped on shoulders a few times for photos -- trains alongside I-80 in Nebraska, the views in Wyoming.  To switch drivers in rural areas where there are wide shoulders, too many times to count.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.