News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Some Cool Street/Road/Highway/Freeway NAMES

Started by yanksfan6129, March 06, 2009, 11:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yanksfan6129

I've always found Street Rd. in the Philly area to be quite funny.

And of course Shades of Death Road, in New Jersey, MY state.

deathtopumpkins

Governor Dingwall Mem. Hwy. somewhere in the Northeast, I think CT. Don't remember where I saw it...
Then there's Smiley Rd. in one of the really ghetto parts of Hampton... I sure wouldn't be smiling if I lived there.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

yanksfan6129

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mapman

No Name Uno Avenue in Gilroy, CA.  (Supposedly, there was also once a "No Name Dos" before it was removed in the 1970's to make way for the US 101 freeway.)

Tarkus

A couple of my favorites:

-Bakeoven Road near Maupin, Oregon.  It's appropriately out in the desert part of the state, running as a sort of "shortcut" between US-197 and US-97.  The part coming out of Maupin gets to be a bit . . . um . . . interesting.

-Cipole Road in Tualatin, Oregon.  The name's actually a corruption of the Italian word for "onion", cipolla.  

-Chinquapin Round Road in Annapolis, MD.  Actually somewhat of a major thoroughfare, where MD-665 (Aris T. Allen Blvd) ends and becomes Forest Drive.

-Silopanna Road in Annapolis, MD.  It's Annapolis backwards.

-Romancoke Road in MD, just on the east side of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (US-50/301).  It sounds like "rum and coke" if you say it fast.

-Joel's Place in Lafayette, Oregon.  In a newer residential neighborhood.

-Alex (Tarkus)

TheStranger

"El Camino Avenue" in Sacramento, Arden-Arcade, and Carmichael...of course, translated, that means "The Road Avenue." :p
Chris Sampang

74/171FAN

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 06, 2009, 11:23:36 PM
Governor Dingwall Mem. Hwy. somewhere in the Northeast, I think CT. Don't remember where I saw it...
Then there's Smiley Rd. in one of the really ghetto parts of Hampton... I sure wouldn't be smiling if I lived there.
Of course some people have to call me Smiley
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on March 06, 2009, 11:25:27 PM
Also, Easy St. in Carefree, AZ
There's also an Easy St in Prince George County, Va along with Quaker Rd, Middle Rd(actually on the northern end of the county) and County Dr(US 460), which actually intersects with VA 156(Prince George Dr).  There's also Boulevard(US 1/US 301 in Colonial Heights and VA 161 in Richmond).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

rawr apples

There is a neighbourhood in Westland, MI that uses candy and flavours as its street names

ie. Peppermint drive, carmel st, Lollipop st, ect.. its strange
Now shut up and drivee

UptownRoadGeek

Voyager

There's a no name street here in Rohnert Park.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

JT

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on March 06, 2009, 11:18:30 PM
I've always found Street Rd. in the Philly area to be quite funny.

And of course Shades of Death Road, in New Jersey, MY state.

I tend to get a kick of out of "Asbestos Road".

yanksfan6129

Tarkus

Zzyzx Road is a classic.

Ramsey, MN has some good ones, too.  There's a neighborhood with periodic table elements, primarily some of the more obscure ones--like Dysprosium Street.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Terry Shea

I'm not making this up.  You can verify it by looking at an atlas.  In Michigan exit #69 on I-75 is at Big Beaver Rd!

And I believe there's an exit for Stinking Creek Rd on I-75 in Tennessee.

Michael

In the Syracuse, NY area:

• Dinglehole Road, near Baldwinsville (map)

• Various streets in Baybery (a housing development near Liverpool) are alphabetical (map)

• Pork St, near Skaneateles (map)

yanksfan6129

njroadhorse

Hitler Roads 1 and 2 in Circleville, OH
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

yanksfan6129

In that case, I hope that the "Hitler" in question (as in the one the road is named for) was just a friendly farmer that happened to be German and happened to by named Hitler.

I don't think there is any road in this country named after the vaunted most well known Hitler.

cjk374

A couple of parish roads near my home:

Igoe Inn Rd.
Jot em Down Rd.
Old Home Place Rd.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

WillWeaverRVA

There's a street out in Goochland County, VA called "Shade Hunter Lane". Quite possibly one of the coolest street names I've ever encountered.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mapman

Another one of my favorites is Alameda De Las Pulgas, in San Mateo County, California.  The name literally translates to "Avenue of the Fleas" in Spanish.  :eyebrow:

yanksfan6129

Coquitlam Highway.

I like that Coquitlam. Coquitlam. Hmmm....

ComputerGuy

Knutson's Family Road in North Lakewood, WA

Oddly enough, the Smiths live there...

Alps

Harry L Blvd., Johnson City.  (Harry L Johnson, of course - there are a few others in that city of similar name.)
Scajaquada Expwy., Buffalo
Bread and Cheese Hollow Rd., Long Island
Chair Factory Rd., Shaker Village in NY near MA border (US 20)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.