News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Beginnings and endings

Started by xonhulu, December 04, 2011, 09:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

Besides being the longest US Highway, US 20 has another odd distinction.  Its western endpoint in Oregon is signed with a "BEGIN" sign:

while its eastern endpoint in Massachusetts is marked with an "END" sign:

However, it doesn't work the other way around: I'm pretty sure there's no "BEGIN" in Boston, and I know there's no "END" in Newport.  Thus, US 20 has a signed beginning and end, indicating the proper direction to drive it is east, and if you drive it west you're going backwards.

Do any other highways share this distinction?  My gut says there have got to be some others, so if you know of any, weigh in, and include pix if you can.

The ultimate would be finding a highway with both "BEGIN" and "END" on both ends.

mukade

Assuming state highways count, the only one I am aware of is Indiana SR 662. Only one end sign is shown in the first link, but it has ones at both ends:
Highway Explorer SR 662
Google Maps Street View (the missing end sign is on the right)

Takumi

I know of a few highways in VA with END banners (VA 106 south, VA 273 south, I-64, I-264, I-664, the 895/150 transition, VA 76, and both ends of VA 288 are the ones I've driven recently), but I don't recall ever seeing a BEGIN banner on any of them.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

xonhulu

BEGIN banners are pretty rare.  That one in Newport, and its counterpart across the street, are the only examples I know of in Oregon.  For that matter, END signs are pretty rare in Oregon, too, but there are several examples of those.  

For purposes of this question, though, it doesn't have to be a banner -- a BEGIN or END on a BGS will also do.

formulanone

Some North Carolina state routes have BEGIN signs.

SSOWorld

Sometimes the JCT plate is used on the road itself.  Outside of that xonhulu is correct.  The one rare instance of this in Wisconsin is on I-794/WIS 794 in Milwaukee.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

Looking at my VA 76 END photo, I noticed secondary route 652 has a BEGIN banner. I don't have a photo of the other side but I assume it's the same.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I've seen a few "BEGIN" banners here and there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

In Hawaii, routes 51 and 56 on Kauai island have both "begin" and "end" banners.  Hawaii rarely uses "begin" banners and has few "end" banners (usually milemarker 0, and a terminal milemarker with exact mileage to two digits after the decimal point, serve those functions).  But for both 51 and 56, the highway changes route number for no obvious reason (58 -> 51 at 51's south end, 560 -> 56 at 56's north end, and 50 -> 56 at 56's south end).

Route 58 has also has "begin" and "end" banners at its east end where it meets route 51, but I don't think it has (or needs) either at its west end, a T-intersection with route 50.

I have photos at least for 51's beginning and end signs (going northbound but not southbound), and probably also 56's (going southbound, maybe northbound too), but for each route one sign photo and/or the other is in my film photo archives and not on the web.  
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

usends

In terms of US routes, I can't think of any of what the OP termed "ultimate" examples (both "Begin" and "End" signs at both termini).  However, I can think of five "trifectas" that have 3 out of 4 signs:

US 24 is signed as "beginning" in Michigan...

...and "ending" in Colorado...

Going the other direction, there is no "Begin" sign in Colorado, but it does "End" in Michigan...

(I'm pretty sure that sign has been replaced.)
(Photos from http://usends.com/20-29/024/024.html)

US 421 "begins" in NC...

...and "ends" in Michigan City IN...

There is no "Begin" sign in Indiana, but it does "End" in NC...

(Photos from http://usends.com/20-29/421/421.html and http://usends.com/Focus/MICity/index.html)

US 35 also "Begins" in Michigan City...

...and "Ends" in WV...

There is no "Begin" sign in WV, but it does "End" in Indiana...

(Photos from http://usends.com/30-39/035/035.html)

New signage at the recently-extended US 311 has it "beginning" in Eden NC...

...and "Ending" in Randleman NC...

I'm not aware of a "Begin" sign in Randleman, but there is a new "End" sign in Eden...

(Photos from http://usends.com/10-19/311/311.html)

US 13 "Begins" in PA...

...and "Ends" in NC...

I'm not aware of a "Begin" sign in NC, but there is an "End" sign in PA...

(Photos from http://usends.com/10-19/013/013.html, which I should've read more carefully before I posted this message, which originally said US 13 ended in NJ, not PA.)
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

luokou

I-405 in Los Angeles has an END banner on its northern end, though there is no corresponding BEGIN banner on its southern end at the El Toro Y. For some reason I recall a BEGIN banner at the north end a long time ago, but then again that was when I was but a wee little pup. Looking on GSV there isn't a BEGIN banner per se, but there is the classic SOUTH 405 San Diego Fwy reassurance BGS (complete with button copy) once you take the exit onto I-405 south.

oscar

In Alaska, AK 3 northbound has a "begin" banner at its south end near Wasilla, and an "end" banner at its north end in Fairbanks.  I have photos of both, but only the latter is web-posted and the other is buried in my photo archives.  There is no corresponding signage on southbound AK 3, as far as I know.  

"End" and (especially) "begin" signs are otherwise rare in Alaska, to the point where it's hard to tell exactly where some of the other numbered routes begin or end, unless there's an obvious endpoint like an international border or a junction with another highway.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

PAHighways

The southern end of Business PA 66 in South Greensburg has a begin assembly right at the US 30 overpass.

US71

Berwyn, IL

Near Tunica, MS

Williamsville, IL

Mobile, AL

Oark, AR

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

akotchi

Quote from: usends on December 05, 2011, 01:48:27 PM
US 13 "Begins" in NJ...

...and "Ends" in NC...

I'm not aware of a "Begin" sign in NC, but there is an "End" sign in NJ...

Hate to break it to you, but U.S. 13 begins/ends in Pennsylvania.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Ian

Quote from: xonhulu on December 04, 2011, 09:50:53 PM
while its eastern endpoint in Massachusetts is marked with an "END" sign:

While not too relevant to your original post, but Massachusetts likes to install "BEGIN" signs for the majority of their interstates.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

xonhulu

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 05, 2011, 07:41:20 PM
While not too relevant to your original post, but Massachusetts likes to install "BEGIN" signs for the majority of their interstates.

An example I was actually wondering about concerned Massachusetts interstates.  I seem to recall that at the I90/395/290 interchange there are "END 395/BEGIN 290" and "END 290/BEGIN 395" on the respective pull-through signage, so if those routes terminate with "END" signage on their other termini then they'd fit the condition I was looking for in the OP.

Ian

Quote from: xonhulu on December 05, 2011, 07:49:52 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 05, 2011, 07:41:20 PM

An example I was actually wondering about concerned Massachusetts interstates.  I seem to recall that at the I90/395/290 interchange there are "END 395/BEGIN 290" and "END 290/BEGIN 395" on the respective pull-through signage, so if those routes terminate with "END" signage on their other termini then they'd fit the condition I was looking for in the OP.

It may not be what you're looking for, but this is the best MassDOT has of an END I-290 sign:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

pianocello

I believe he's referring to something like this?
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Takumi

Some of mine...

(extreme close-up happened due to my camera being all the way zoomed in without my knowledge)

Most of the end signs I've seen are there when a through movement is ahead.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

these two are right next to each other, in opposite directions, at the western terminus of Baja California state route 4.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

OCGuy81

QuoteSometimes the JCT plate is used on the road itself.  Outside of that xonhulu is correct.  The one rare instance of this in Wisconsin is on I-794/WIS 794 in Milwaukee.

Isn't JCT used for southbound US-51 traffic meeting with I-39 near Wausa?  Or is there a BEGIN sign for I-39?

txstateends

Quote from: OCGuy81 on December 07, 2011, 11:24:33 PM
QuoteSometimes the JCT plate is used on the road itself.  Outside of that xonhulu is correct.  The one rare instance of this in Wisconsin is on I-794/WIS 794 in Milwaukee.

Isn't JCT used for southbound US-51 traffic meeting with I-39 near Wausa?  Or is there a BEGIN sign for I-39?

Just checked Google Street View, and I only saw the regular BGSes and the first SOUTH I-39/US 51 shield set.  There might have been missed angles, but also part of the way south, the camera gets that fuzzy-foggy center effect, so it's difficult to read some of the BGSes.  I did notice while checking that the overhead angle is a trumpet (old picture?), while the map drawing and the Street View is just regular flyovers.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadfro

Nevada tends to use begin and end banners in marking state routes, especially in urban areas where the road may continue beyond the terminus of the state highway. Sometimes it will be a begin plate, sometimes just the cardinal direction, and sometime it is both.

The "Begin" plate was actually just added to the 2009 MUTCD, although as an optional sign. Prior to this, it was not a standard sign but many jurisdictions used it to complement the standard "end" plate.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

WillWeaverRVA

And on the other side...

I don't have pictures but there is a BEGIN VA 199 shield and an END VA 199 shield at the other end of VA 199 as well. In Hanover County, the intersection of VA 156, SR 636, and SR 643 was signed with BEGIN and END shields for the secondary routes (which is quite rare). This may not be the case now since the intersection was reconstructed.

Quote from: Takumi on December 06, 2011, 04:57:32 PM

The sign in the opposite direction:

Quote from: Takumi on December 06, 2011, 04:57:32 PM

Disregard the watermark:
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.