News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on July 20, 2018, 11:14:50 PM
I believe that Ocala and Gainesville are way too close to the actual freeway to need one.

Cape Coral boomed later and so is Lehigh Acres.

Gainesville could use a spur for morning/afternoon traffic from the University. Ideally, it would be placed along Archer Road. But there's no place to put it; many businesses and residences line the route. A loop would disperse the traffic from other directions, but that would just put more traffic onto 2/4-lane roads. Ocala sort of built up the routes in the area, but Gainesville/Alachua County did not.

Southwestern Florida's boom was 1990s-2008 and resurging again; there's been some new roads, widening, but other places like Lehigh Acres are only just getting four-lanes on SR 82. If you'd been to Lehigh Acres 20-25 years ago, it looked like a post-apocalyptic wasteland...hundreds of paved roads with almost nothing along side them.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2018, 08:26:36 AM
*I'm not sure what, if any, term there is for the relation: My wife's nephew's wife's mother.

Probably none. But I get tongue-tied trying to explain relationships back to the kids.

jdb1234

Quote from: formulanone on July 21, 2018, 12:11:21 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 20, 2018, 11:14:50 PM
I believe that Ocala and Gainesville are way too close to the actual freeway to need one.

Cape Coral boomed later and so is Lehigh Acres.

Southwestern Florida's boom was 1990s-2008 and resurging again; there's been some new roads, widening, but other places like Lehigh Acres are only just getting four-lanes on SR 82. If you'd been to Lehigh Acres 20-25 years ago, it looked like a post-apocalyptic wasteland...hundreds of paved roads with almost nothing along side them.

I remember traveling to Marco Island back in the early to mid 90s and remember there not being much at all in Southwest Florida.  I also remember when several of exits on I-75 built up.  Not sure where you would run an I-75 spur to Cape Coral from, all the corridors are too developed now.

Jim

I've only been traveling regularly to the Naples area since 2004, but even in just those years, the amount of development has been unbelievable.  The area could use some better connections between I-75 and US 41, but even the overpass at Golden Gate and Airport seemed to meet a lot of resistance (though it sure was a big improvement).
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jdb1234

Quote from: Jim on July 22, 2018, 08:41:02 PM
I've only been traveling regularly to the Naples area since 2004, but even in just those years, the amount of development has been unbelievable.  The area could use some better connections between I-75 and US 41, but even the overpass at Golden Gate and Airport seemed to meet a lot of resistance (though it sure was a big improvement).

I remember when that interchange at Golden Gate and Airport-Pulling was built.  I was built to coincide with the interchange of Golden Gate and I-75.  One of the concerns was that it would help traffic at all, and would make the intersection of Golden Gate and Goodlette-Frank a mess.  I don't frequent that part of Naples often to really find out.  Naples is fairly easy to get around in, as long as you know what the major streets are.

Jim

Quote from: jdb1234 on July 22, 2018, 09:06:38 PM
Quote from: Jim on July 22, 2018, 08:41:02 PM

I remember when that interchange at Golden Gate and Airport-Pulling was built.  I was built to coincide with the interchange of Golden Gate and I-75.  One of the concerns was that it would help traffic at all, and would make the intersection of Golden Gate and Goodlette-Frank a mess.  I don't frequent that part of Naples often to really find out.  Naples is fairly easy to get around in, as long as you know what the major streets are.

The intersection with Livingston seems to be a bigger bottleneck than Goodlette-Frank in my experience.  As far as major east-west connections, Golden Gate has been the best option south of Vanderbilt, probably because Vanderbilt doesn't have an I-75 interchange.  Pine Ridge is hopeless.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jdb1234

Anyone else having trouble with their Sunpass?  I drove through tolls on the Suncoast Parkway and the Veterans Expressway and the tolls have not been posted to my account. 

vdeane

I've read that they're having a problem with their contractor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

FLRoads

Quote from: jdb1234 on July 26, 2018, 06:18:48 PM
Anyone else having trouble with their Sunpass?  I drove through tolls on the Suncoast Parkway and the Veterans Expressway and the tolls have not been posted to my account. 

As vdeane mentioned, there is still a huge debacle between FDOT (SunPass) and their contractor (Conduent). This has been going on now for almost two months now!

Here is one of the latest articles I found on it that was posted this afternoon:
https://www.winknews.com/2018/07/27/sunpass-still-facing-huge-backlog-users-fear-big-bills/

Seems there is a huge backlog of transactions with some users fearing a large bill and more and more upset at the government for not doing anything about a solution. Governor Scott has stated that the state will be stopping payment and that FDOT will be held responsible:

Quote"It's an FDOT contract. My office doesn't even do contracts. Those are done by agencies, in this case it was FDOT, and so they're going to be held accountable"

Drivers we spoke to say the governor should waive the backlogged tolls altogether. Acee said, "It's some bureaucratic snafu and we pay for it. Should they wave them? without question."

We reached out to the Florida Department of Transportation for an updated number of backlogged transactions.

They say they're still calculating the total number and should have an update next week.

Who knows what will come of this one....

On a personal note, I just looked at my SunPass account, and toll gantries I passed through on 6/9 didn't post until 7/15, so maybe give it some more time.

jdb1234

I knew about the issue beforehand.  My biggest issue is that I am driving a rental.  I am also concerned that I could use up all of my prepaid tolls when I travel to Miami next week.  I am pretty sure my Sunpass was read going through the first toll plaza on the Suncoast Parkway (there are no Sunpass express lanes at that plaza).

emory

Quote from: jdb1234 on July 27, 2018, 07:30:23 PM
I knew about the issue beforehand.  My biggest issue is that I am driving a rental.  I am also concerned that I could use up all of my prepaid tolls when I travel to Miami next week.  I am pretty sure my Sunpass was read going through the first toll plaza on the Suncoast Parkway (there are no Sunpass express lanes at that plaza).

When you drive the rental, do you make sure to tie the license plate to your SunPass for the duration of the rental?

SSOWorld

It was working before they change it.  WTF?

Side note: No, you're not alone.  I'm still waiting for the transactions to be updated myself on mine.  How can I trust an agency that can't get their shit together?

TxTag anyone?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

BigManFromAFRICA88

Speaking of Miami and South Florida, anyone got photos or videos of the new I-75 Express Lanes and the reconstruction that's completed/still going on?

emory

Quote from: BigManFromAFRICA88 on July 30, 2018, 04:08:11 PM
Speaking of Miami and South Florida, anyone got photos or videos of the new I-75 Express Lanes and the reconstruction that's completed/still going on?

back here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2017.msg2315998#msg2315998

Alex

Had the opportunity to check out the First Coast Expressway (SR 23) on Saturday. Its fully open in each direction with the exception of the ramps linking the north end with U.S. 90 (Beaver Street). Tolls are not collected at this time, as work is still underway on drainage, signage. etc. Posted a few photos on the blog.

emory

Quote from: Alex on July 31, 2018, 10:08:47 AM
Had the opportunity to check out the First Coast Expressway (SR 23) on Saturday. Its fully open in each direction with the exception of the ramps linking the north end with U.S. 90 (Beaver Street). Tolls are not collected at this time, as work is still underway on drainage, signage. etc. Posted a few photos on the blog.

A two digit tolled expressway? We sure this is Florida?

formulanone

Quote from: emory on July 31, 2018, 05:29:21 PM

"SR 91"

emory

Quote from: formulanone on July 31, 2018, 05:30:27 PM

"SR 91"

One that's acknowledged on shields.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Quote from: emory on July 31, 2018, 06:06:18 PM
Quote from: formulanone on July 31, 2018, 05:30:27 PM

"SR 91"

One that's acknowledged on shields.

True enough.

I'm surprised they stuck with SR 23 when US 23 is located in the same county.

rickmastfan67

Have a list of all the exit numbers so I can update TM's file for the route?

FLRoads

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 31, 2018, 10:58:43 PM

SR 21 (Blanding Boulevard) - Exit 31
Oakleaf Plantation Parkway/Challenger Drive - Exit 35
Argyle Forest Boulevard/Oakleaf Plantation Parkway - Exit 37
SR 134 (103rd Street) - Exit 41
SR 228 (Normandy Boulevard) - Exit 42
New World Avenue - Exit 44
I-10 - Exits 46A-B

rickmastfan67

Quote from: flaroads on August 01, 2018, 03:45:05 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 31, 2018, 10:58:43 PM

Oakleaf Plantation Parkway/Challenger Drive - Exit 35

Is that for NB or SB since it seems there's about a mile between the ramps for each direction?

And what about the SB exit for Old Jennings Rd?

Duke87

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 29, 2018, 05:36:00 AM
Side note: No, you're not alone.  I'm still waiting for the transactions to be updated myself on mine.  How can I trust an agency that can't get their shit together?

TxTag anyone?

Not a coincidence, by the way. The same company (Conduent) was responsible for the screw-ups in Texas a few years ago. Things got so bad there that people were receiving bills for the first time 9-12 months after actually taking a trip, with late fees on them that they then had to get on the phone and fight with the folks in the customer service center to get waived.

I don't see calls to waive the tolls being heeded because we're talking millions of dollars in revenue that the state would be surrendering - far more than Conduent is contractually obligated to pay in liquidated damages. But it people start getting bills with late fees the state needs to make unequivocally clear that no one is under any obligation to pay any of those.

Here's a few articles from July on this:
One
Two
Three
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

formulanone

Yesterday, I received my SunPass toll receipt from June 22nd, though just for 3 days' charges. It might take a day or two for it to charge my credit card.

edwaleni

I drove through today. The Beaver Street ramps (US-90) are open now.

I came through on Saturday and they still had barricades, but coming back through on I-10 today I saw the barricades are pulled back now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.