News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Original photos of I-95 in Maryland

Started by TheOneKEA, August 09, 2014, 03:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOneKEA

Are there any books or online sources that contain photos of I-95 in Maryland when it was first opened between the Beltways in 1971? I'm especially interested in photos of the temporary termini at both Beltways and photos of the original concrete surface, which was also used for US 29 but wasn't used anywhere else in central Maryland.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 09, 2014, 03:50:54 PM
photos of the original concrete surface, which was also used for US 29 but wasn't used anywhere else in central Maryland.

Incorrect. 

The Capital Beltway was concrete surface from the Wilson Bridge to Md. 97 (Georgia Avenue) in Silver Spring.

U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) was concrete surface from Md. 201 (Kenilworth Avenue) in Tuxedo, Prince George's County at least as far east as Md. 70 (Rowe Boulevard).

Md. 193 (University Boulevard) was concrete surface from Kensington nearly all the way to University of Maryland.

I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) had concrete surface from Md. 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) around to the I-95 (JFK Highway) interchange on the northeast side of Baltimore.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 10, 2014, 01:59:36 AM
photos of the original concrete surface, which was also used for US 29 but wasn't used anywhere else in central Maryland.

Incorrect. 

The Capital Beltway was concrete surface from the Wilson Bridge to Md. 97 (Georgia Avenue) in Silver Spring.

U.S. 50 (John Hanson Highway) was concrete surface from Md. 201 (Kenilworth Avenue) in Tuxedo, Prince George's County at least as far east as Md. 70 (Rowe Boulevard).

Md. 193 (University Boulevard) was concrete surface from Kensington nearly all the way to University of Maryland.

I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) had concrete surface from Md. 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) around to the I-95 (JFK Highway) interchange on the northeast side of Baltimore.

Wow! I had absolutely no idea that there were so many other uses of that 1970s-era concrete surface. I only remember the surface on I-95 and US 29 and those surfaces lasted into the late 1990s/early 2000s. When were the other roads changed from concrete surface to asphalt surface?

ixnay

I'm especially interested in photos of the temporary termini at both Beltways

One of which, of course, became "permanent" (except for access to a park and ride).

ixnay

TheOneKEA

Quote from: ixnay on August 10, 2014, 04:35:59 PM
I'm especially interested in photos of the temporary termini at both Beltways

One of which, of course, became "permanent" (except for access to a park and ride).

ixnay

They've recently expanded the Park and Ride, with a large new parking lot built on top of the roadbed. The far edge of the new lot has a view into a large staging area that appears to have a pristine, original concrete surface on one side.

Alex

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 10, 2014, 03:24:39 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 10, 2014, 01:59:36 AM

Incorrect. 

Wow! I had absolutely no idea that there were so many other uses of that 1970s-era concrete surface. I only remember the surface on I-95 and US 29 and those surfaces lasted into the late 1990s/early 2000s. When were the other roads changed from concrete surface to asphalt surface?

Interstate 695 on the west side of Baltimore was concrete until fall 1993.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 10, 2014, 03:24:39 PM

It varied - generally in the 1980's or 1990's. 

Another road that had a concrete surface was Md. 355 (Wisconsin Avenue and Rockville Pike).

And there were many others.  The original surface of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway  was concrete.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.